• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Short-Tailed Vole (1 Viewer)

helenol

How short is the short-tailed voles tail?

I have one on the bank, and can't make my mind up whether it's the above or it's a Bank Vole, it runs too fast to be able to see the tail!

Thanks.

Hi Helen
From what I can remember, the tail of a short-tailed vole is about the third of the length of its body and it is about half the length of the body in bank voles (someone with a book to hand may need to correct me on this). this feature can be useful when you have a captured animal, but is not the best thing to look for in the field. Short-tailed Voles have a grey-brown colour to them, whilst Bank Voles have a darker and warmer chestnut-brown colour to them. If they are seen relatively well, this can help. Habitat is also a very good guide. Field voles live in fields with long grass and make runways that you will find if you pull the grass back. Consequently, they are not seen very often. bank voles are more often seen in forested areas or bushy undergrowth. I hope this is some use.
Tom

Tom, thanks for that. The colour may suggest it is a short-tailed vole. But, it is seen on a grassy bank with undergrowth in woodland which may suggest a bank vole!

In an ideal world it would be helpful to see one of each side by side to compare. I'll try and get a pic soon.

Thanks for the info.

Finally managed to get a pic of what I think may be a vole! short tailed or bank?

Attachments

• vole.jpg
    vole.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 228
  • vole2.jpg
    vole2.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 242
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back