• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phalarope (sp) (1 Viewer)

Hi All

Wondered what the general consensus was on this phalarope. It was taken at Santa Pola Salinas two weeks ago by a birder I do not know. I did not see the bird and only have these for reference. In all honesty I have mixed feeling as regards it's identification, but I am not very good at i.d.ing birds from photos.

Thanks in advance for any contributions made.

All the best Jules

Attachments

• Phalarope Santa Pola 3Dec07 - 3.jpg
    Phalarope Santa Pola 3Dec07 - 3.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 318
  • Phalarope Santa Pola 3Dec07 - 4.jpg
    Phalarope Santa Pola 3Dec07 - 4.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 237
  • Phalarope Santa Pola 5Dec07 - 1.jpg
    Phalarope Santa Pola 5Dec07 - 1.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 373
I get a little fuzzy on Grey Phalarope and Red-necked Phalarope in winter plumage but the one picture shows a thin bill like a Red-necked Phalarope.

would have to say Red-necked as well but would like to see sharper shots to be 100% confident the bill was really that thin

Rob

Bill thickness in the last picture has obviously been meddled with. It's a Grey (aka Red) Phalarope (P. fulicarius) for me.
The very white forehead and the unmarked back on this (imo) moulting juvenile make me conclude Grey.

Xenospiza
IMO there has been no manipulation of these photos although I don't personally know the gentleman who sent them to me. He is a Norwegian holidaying in Alicante and sent them straight from his laptop.

Red-necked for me (prob adult) which is why it is so pale above. Bill nice and fine (fancy accusing the guy of doctoring the bill), white mark at bend of wing usually pointer to red necked.

At first glance I thought this bird was Red-necked. However, I'm certain that it isn't, and is in fact a Grey Phalarope. The first image shows a short thick bill. The third image may seem to show a needle-fine bill, but it's rather on the short side for Red-necked. Another good feature for Grey is that the dark of the crown arcs forward to met the front of the eye mask (best seen in 3rd image).

cheers
martin

Here are photos of red-necked and grey, taken two days apart in October 2003 (a busy week). The bird in the OP is red-necked to me. Heat haze has obliterated part of the bill, making it appear shorter than it actually is. A common problem with digiscoping in hot and humid conditions.

Attachments

• Red Necked Phalarope 06 copy.jpg
    Red Necked Phalarope 06 copy.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 165
  • Grey Phalarope 11 copy.jpg
    Grey Phalarope 11 copy.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 172
This is really tricky! The bill looks really thin, but that is the only thing I can see that is strongly pointing towards Red-necked. The hind crown is very dark, which would be ok for a RN with much of its Juv Plumage retained. However if it is near full juv plumage, that happened to the mantle V's, they really should be visible on a bird like this.

See these for comparison http://www.xyz.net/~bay/NewFiles/Red-necked Phalarope Two.jpg

Attachments

• bf1.JPG
    bf1.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 139
I think that the bird is a Red-necked, despite the blurriness of the photos the thickness of the bill can be seen quite clearly. I don't know if it's a juvenile or an adult, but at least it's not in full juvenal plumage, since the back is mainly grey.

Here are a few RN Phalaropes with largely grey backs without too prominent V's, but still with dark hind crowns:
http://www.rarebirdspain.net/irbsa117.jpg
http://www.waltherleers.net/Images/200708184.jpg
http://www.orientalbirdimages.org/s...esult&Bird_ID=1207&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1

Hi All
Just back from a long weekend away to find these interesting contributions and thanks again to all for your thoughts.

Firstly I actually thought (still think) it's a moulting 1st winter R n Phalarope but time of year, lack of mantle V's made me question this, and it looks like with a some justification.

The finder (who is now back in Norway) has sent me another picture he took of it and one that shows it better in profile.

IMO I cannot see a Grey (Red) Phalarope having such a thin, all-black bill as this (not so clearly) shows.

Any further comments welcome.

Anyway who cares I found a Little Gull today, which was a patch tick :t:

All the best Jules

Attachments

• Phalarope Santa Pola 5Dec07 - 5.jpg
    Phalarope Santa Pola 5Dec07 - 5.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 156
Red necked for me Jules.

We British birders don't see enough RNP's to get an instant impression on pics like this. But, it does show how difficult this species pair is.

Cheers

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back