• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Warwickshire (1 Viewer)

Dare I even ask about the following entry in the BBRC's Work In Progress file? :eek!:

IC 09-Nov-14 20-Sep-14 1 Short-toed Eagle Circaetus gallicus Warwickshire Alvecote Pools

Siberian Gull there too :eek!:
Nothing surprises me from that place, shame some records were accepted in the past from presumably the same observer :-C

Siberian Gull there too :eek!:
Nothing surprises me from that place, shame some records were accepted in the past from presumably the same observer :-C

I overlooked the Lesser Scaup from Alvecote in December 2013 on the same WIP file - this place is jumpin'

I see the list also includes a Lesser Grey Shrike from Birchmoor in Sept 2013

Hoopoe showing well at Stratford upon Avon FC this afternoon. Was the bird still around this evening? Any further info and an early heads up would be appreciated in the morning to get a nice pre work sighting.

Hoopoe showing well at Stratford upon Avon FC this afternoon. Was the bird still around this evening? Any further info and an early heads up would be appreciated in the morning to get a nice pre work sighting.
I will be onsite by 05.45am. There is a Golf course backing on to the FC onto which the bird could disappear but hoping for a Warwickshire tick today ! If anyone does not know the FC is off Knights lane , Tiddington. Edit. No sign in a 2 hour early morning search - no other birders looking.

Last edited:
Could be worth a double check this weekend particularly with the Golf course being close by. Might take a trip down but any news in the meantime would be appreciated.

Thought I'd post a couple of record shots of the Bewick's Swans from Salford Priors on Thursday. Apparently they were not Slimbridge birds which makes the recording more interesting.

Attachments

• P1180293.JPG
    P1180293.JPG
    260.4 KB · Views: 112
  • P1180304.JPG
    P1180304.JPG
    388 KB · Views: 121
Record shot of Red-necked Grebe from Salford Priors last month. (thought I'd posted already).

Attachments

• P1220662.JPG
    P1220662.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 128
This mornings Grey Plover, highlight of a great morning of movement. Will update blog in due course.

Attachments

• P1240816.JPG
    P1240816.JPG
    280.6 KB · Views: 109
Hi all, out for a drive yesterday (Thursday) my wife shouted "Look at all those buzzards and there could be a Red Kite among them" I stopped the car and walked back a few yards to look out over a field and woodland and counted at least 13 birds, plenty of Buzzards but at least 4 Red Kites. The Buzzards were generally moving away but the R Kites were circling over the tree tops and the nearest part of the field. They gave me the impression that it could have been their territory although I did not see any that I could say were youngsters as I did not have my bins with me. I hesitate to give the location on here but let me say it was somewhere between Coventry and Rugby. I was just wondering if this is a new (only) R Kite colony in Warwickshire. I will be going back with bins in the next few days to see if they are still there and see if there is any evidence of breeding.

Dave

Edit: I've already posted this in the "Birds of Warwickshire" thread, but now think this thread is a more suitable place for it.

Hi all, out for a drive yesterday (Thursday) my wife shouted "Look at all those buzzards and there could be a Red Kite among them" I stopped the car and walked back a few yards to look out over a field and woodland and counted at least 13 birds, plenty of Buzzards but at least 4 Red Kites. The Buzzards were generally moving away but the R Kites were circling over the tree tops and the nearest part of the field. They gave me the impression that it could have been their territory although I did not see any that I could say were youngsters as I did not have my bins with me. I hesitate to give the location on here but let me say it was somewhere between Coventry and Rugby. I was just wondering if this is a new (only) R Kite colony in Warwickshire. I will be going back with bins in the next few days to see if they are still there and see if there is any evidence of breeding.

Dave

Edit: I've already posted this in the "Birds of Warwickshire" thread, but now think this thread is a more suitable place for it.

Seen Red Kites around Shipston, Brailes, Lower Quinton, Tanworth-in-Arden, Henley and Bishopton in the past few weeks. Buzzards I see in regular locations but kites tend to pop up randomly all over the place!

Hi, yes I've seen the odd individual but this looked like it could be a possible new colony of them in an area I'd not seen them before. As it doesn't appear to be a problem identifying the location it was in Brinklow near to the junction of B4027 Coventry Road and B4029.

Cheers

Dave

Hi All,
Just had to tell someone i have noticed a Little Egret on my patch which is only a five minute walk from the center of Coventry it has been there for over a week and seems to be OK if it notices you it takes off and flies a little further up the river.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back