• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

dishevelled bullfinch - help (1 Viewer)

xstevenc1

Hi,

Apologies if this is the incorrect sub-forum. I tried to post this in the general forum but it's someone wound up here.

I've around 10-15 bullfinches visit my feeders each day, but recently a couple of them (males) are starting to look very dishevelled / unwell. I'm not entirely certain what's wrong with them, but I was hoping someone on here might be able to help identifying the ailment in case it's something serious/contagious that warrants withdrawing the feeders for a few weeks.

I've attached a link to a picture / video - sorry for the quality as this was taken on a mobile phone. The video's probably the best in terms of quality.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AmlwZqJKr3hSljnZ4aO-bexqpf1p

This is the UK (Leeds)

Many thanks
Stephen

Last edited:
Hi Stephen and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Unfortunately the link doesn't work (at least it doesn't for m).

It would probably be better to upload a jpg image of the picture and your video could be uploaded to BFTV (through the tab above, but here's a direct link.

However, I would guess, your odd one has something like feather mite, or maybe is just moulting out juvenile feathers.

When you have uploaded an image I'll maybe move your post to a different forum (maybe the ID forum, but I'll see when I've looked at the picture(s).

I can get the pics & video OK. It could just be that they're moulting (it's the time of year for it), but sickness is also a possibility. Yep, it might be a good idea to disinfect the feeders every few days.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back