• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spoon-billed Sandpipers in China (1 Viewer)

Fantastic record then, for me anyway as I spend a lot of time there - I knew there was always hope of bumping into one in the Spring sometime!

I received this disturbing email yesterday, so apologies to Dr Tomkovich, though I'm sure he wouldn't mind me relaying the depressing news, I've posted it in full.

Dear colleagues,

I just got a phone call from Alexei Dondua, my friend, who spent this
summer season on Belyaka Spit, northern Chukotka, which is one of the
two areas known as key breeding sites for the Spoon-billed Sandpiper.
It is the area where all my main studies of this species were
undertaken in 1986-1988 (ca. 50 males were breeding there) and in 2002
(22-24 males). During the whole bird breeding season of 2009 in the
very same area Alexei was able to find about 100 nests of waders and
ringed 202 chicks and adults, but DID NOT HAVE A SINGLE RECORD OF Spoon-billed
Sandpiper. This means that one of the two largest local breeding
populations of this species is now extinct. You may remember that in another largest
local population Vladimir Arkhipov and me revealed 12 males this
summer (instead of ca. 70 in early 2000s). This shows how critical in
the current situation with this species. I must say that I am getting
more and more pessimistic about future of this species, it is really
very close to the brink of extinction.

Pavel S. Tomkovich, Dr.Sci.

Very sad news indeed!

Mark

You're right Ed, there is that possibility. I was asked by the recovery team to put the word out requesting inland records from China based on the theory that there may be an alternative route for the wintering birds from Myanmar and formerly Bangladesh. Sadly with so few birdwatchers operating in these areas with limited resources and equipment, an overland migration route will take some time to confirm or dismiss.
Fingers crossed it's the former as we are recording fewer waders it seems, of a variety of species annually now through the eastern seaboard.

I'm not pretty sure in id the juv.And I wonder that I've never seen any probable juv.
Only the last one on 31 Oct looks like a possible juv,with contrast between wing-coverts and mantle/scapulars.
This bird is not in typical juv plumage.It's kind of winter plumage.Where can I find a reference on its moulting from juv into 1st-winter?

I'm not pretty sure in id the juv.And I wonder that I've never seen any probable juv.
Only the last one on 31 Oct looks like a possible juv,with contrast between wing-coverts and mantle/scapulars.
This bird is not in typical juv plumage.It's kind of winter plumage.Where can I find a reference on its moulting from juv into 1st-winter?

Here's a couple of mid-October juvs moulting to 1st winter (scroll down to October 12th).

http://www.birdskorea.org/Birds/Birdnews/BK-BN-birdnews-2006-10.shtml

Realised a life times ambition this February when I saw a small flock of Spoon billed Sandpipers at Pak Thale in Thailand.

A memory that will stay with me for the rest of my life - a shame that this is all this bird may well be in the near future, just a memory......

Anyone thinking of going to see this superb bird - I would do so ASAP.

Cheers,

Paul

Here's the pic on 31 Oct,by Chris Sloan
Not very clear pic but in scope it showed the wing-coverts like in photo 14,OBC by Peter Ericsson

Attachments

• 20091031rudong.jpg
    20091031rudong.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 174
stable wintering population in Minjiang Estuary,Fuzhou.
I saw 6 or 7 on 16 Dec,and the Sunbird tours saw 8 or 9 on 21 Dec.

Just posting this to make sure that those interested in spoonbills have seen the other threads on spoonbills on birdforum here and here. I found the link to Sibley's website, and especially the videos very interesting (but us China-folk have to find a way to see Youtube!) fascinating to see the birds' feeding technique, as well as to read Sibley's observations (altogether perhaps 5 entries on spoonbills so far).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back