• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell 7x26mm Elite e2 Compact Binoculars (1 Viewer)

vfr1952

I was thinking of getting a pair of Bushnell 7x26mm Elite e2 Compact Binoculars.How do they compare with Leica and Zeiss compacts.

The Iconic 7x26 Bushnell has reverse Porro Prisms rather than roof prisms which the Leica and Zeiss. It also has larger exit pupils than the 8x20 Leica and Zeiss compacts and will be brighter than they are when used in twilight conditions. It's field of view of 360'@1000 yards is wider than the Leica and Zeiss's 335'@1000yards.

It is bulkier because it has single hinge construction and objective lenses that are 6mm wider than the Leica and Zeiss, both of which have double hinge construction allowing them to be folded into a smaller package to carry around.

It also is well constructed but it is not waterproof like the other two are. And it costs quite a bit less. The up side is that it is optically as good as or even better than the other two are. The Bushnell 7x26 has earned it's reputation as a "cult classic" binocular!:t:

Bob

PS: Read the customer reviews of it from the Eagle Optics web site:

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/bushnell/bushnell-elite-7x26-custom-compact-binocular

Last edited:
The Bushnell is a very nice little binocular. In terms of exit pupil, over two times brighter than 8x20 and hence rather more useful on less than sunny days. Unlike the roof models it's not waterproof so a bit more care is needed and being a bit bigger it's a tight fit for some jacket pockets. There is more eye relief for spectacle wearers if that's relevant. The view is sharp, the ergonomics are great, it's a very nice binocular to use.

If smaller size and waterproofing are important the Hawke Sapphire ED 8x25 is similar money to the Bushnell and the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 not much bigger though a little more expensive.

David

Last edited:
I was thinking of getting a pair of Bushnell 7x26mm Elite e2 Compact Binoculars.How do they compare with Leica and Zeiss compacts.

The Elite e2 is a very fine binocular, that, because of it's unusual reverse-porro design, often gets overlooked. I love mine. To get to your question, I took it during a walk this weekend. Other birders (a couple, both with Zeiss 10x20 compacts), asked to look at mine. I always enjoy the "wow" reaction I get when people look through them. I used to use a Leica 8x20 but after getting the Elites the Leicas now collect dust.

Also, I think the reverse porro design actually makes them even more "hand-holding"/ergonomically friendly than your standard compacts.

Almost needless to say, they're each buying one next month. :t:

You can't beat the view of the 7x26 Bushnell with any of the littler 8x20's. The only question is whether the extra size and weight are acceptable for your choice of "compact." Users lean both ways on that question.

The color balance of the Bushnell isn't quite state of the art though. It's a little dull and yellow, but without a side-by-side comparison you'd probably never notice. All else is as good as it gets IMO. Sharpness, contrast, ease of view, stability at 7x, all: :t:

Mark

It is bulkier because it has single hinge construction and objective lenses that are 6mm wider than the Leica and Zeiss, both of which have double hinge construction allowing them to be folded into a smaller package to carry around.

Bob

Hiya Bob

Just a minor additional bit of info. Don't forget the Zeiss Victory Compacts that have a single hinge (bit still fold up) and some people find easier to handle than the double hinge bins. The baby Victories probably suit right-handed people better, straight out of the box, but lefties can use them alright just not as instinctively.

Lee

Bob

Hiya Bob

Just a minor additional bit of info. Don't forget the Zeiss Victory Compacts that have a single hinge (bit still fold up) and some people find easier to handle than the double hinge bins. The baby Victories probably suit right-handed people better, straight out of the box, but lefties can use them alright just not as instinctively.

Lee

You are right. I have the 8x20 Victory.

However, Zeiss also sells an 8x20 Conquest which has 2 hinges and costs almost two hundred dollars less than the 8x20 Victory. It has roll down eyecups and comes with a leather case.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/zeiss/zeiss-conquest-8x20-b-t-binocular-leather-case

OP didn't specify which one he was talking about. Even Cabelas has confused them in their catalogs, although they have it correct on their website now.

Bob

You are right. I have the 8x20 Victory.

However, Zeiss also sells an 8x20 Conquest which has 2 hinges and costs almost two hundred dollars less than the 8x20 Victory. It has roll down eyecups and comes with a leather case.

Bob

Absolutely right Bob. I have never tried to bendy Conquest though having been put off by a double hinge Leica pocket some years ago.

Just wondered if a single hinge jobby might suit better :smoke:

TroubaLee

I wouldn't worry about hinges. They all work fine assuming they're tensioned correctly. And I've seen loose single hinge as much as double hinge. The real question is size. That's why they're called "compacts." How small is compact, for you. That's the real question.

The 8x20's are all undoubtedly "compact," but they also carry handicaps, and one or two hinges has little to do with that. We're talking brightness and exit pupil primarily. That's just physics; live with it or...get a bigger "compact," in which case the debate shifts to size and weight.

Not that hard, really. You just have to choose. That's why I've had a tough time of it. ;)

By the way, you can't convert the double hinge compacts to single hinge by only using one side unless your IPD is quite narrow, around 55mm as near as I can tell. Not good for me. I'm about 64mm.

Mark

I always think of an 8x20 as being that size of necessity, for long travel, or at work,
and paired with a bigger home pair. It can really cut your day short at twilight.

The 7x26 is more of an 'all-purpose', if you can afford the bulk but want to take-with.

I wouldn't worry about hinges. They all work fine assuming they're tensioned correctly. And I've seen loose single hinge as much as double hinge. The real question is size. That's why they're called "compacts." How small is compact, for you. That's the real question.

The 8x20's are all undoubtedly "compact," but they also carry handicaps, and one or two hinges has little to do with that. We're talking brightness and exit pupil primarily. That's just physics; live with it or...get a bigger "compact," in which case the debate shifts to size and weight.

Not that hard, really. You just have to choose. That's why I've had a tough time of it. ;)

By the way, you can't convert the double hinge compacts to single hinge by only using one side unless your IPD is quite narrow, around 55mm as near as I can tell. Not good for me. I'm about 64mm.

Mark

Mark,

If the double hinged 8 x 20s objective tubes flap up and down on the hinges 180 degrees like the older Trinovid BN and the Zeiss Conquest do it is difficult to use them like a single hinge binocular like the Zeiss Victory.

But if the tubes have stops at 90 degrees like the 8x20 Leica Ultravid, Nikon LX L and Swarovski 8x20 and 25CLP do one can use them in a single hinge fashion from either side. If you are right handed simply extend the right tube as far out as it will go (It will stop at 90º) then look through it with your right eye and then open up the left tube far enough to accommodate your IPD on your left eye. My IPD is 68 and there is plenty of room for a wider IPD. In effect it makes them work like the Zeiss Victory's work.

Bob

Last edited:
Mark,

If the double hinged 8 x 20s objective tubes flap up and down on the hinges 180 degrees like the older Trinovid BN and the Zeiss Conquest do it is difficult to use them like a single hinge binocular like the Zeiss Victory.

But if the tubes have stops at 90 degrees like the 8x20 Leica Ultravid, Nikon LX L and Swarovski 8x20 and 25CLP do one can use them in a single hinge fashion from either side. If you are right handed simply extend the right tube as far out as it will go (It will stop at 90º) then look through it with your right eye and then open up the left tube far enough to accommodate your IPD on your left eye. My IPD is 68 and there is plenty of room for a wider IPD. In effect it makes them work like the Zeiss Victory's work.

Bob

Ah, now I get it. But aren't you still basically using them like dual hinge compacts anyway? You still open both sides, just to varying degrees. So why not just take them out, open them however they will, and use them that way? They only go in the case fully folded.

O-Nut: "size of necessity" is not a bad way of thinking about the little 8x20's. Some will indeed consider it a necessity. Next time I backpack 200 miles or watch a Broadway show from the cheap seats I might myself.

Last time I used 8x20's for a show was watching Philip Seymour Hoffman in "Death of a Salesman." I got the cheap seats. Best in the house, first row center, would have been close to $1K. Should have gone for it. RIP, Philip.

Mark

Last edited:
Ah, now I get it. But aren't you still basically using them like dual hinge compacts anyway? You still open both sides, just to varying degrees. So why not just take them out, open them however they will, and use them that way? They only go in the case fully folded.

Mark

Noooo.

Why don't you go to the gurus of Absam and ask SONA why they have designed their compacts to work in this manner?;)

Bob

I guess I still don't get it. My ideal compact would be an 8x28 reverse porro of alpha caliber. Make it light (10 ounces or less), compact, single hinge, waterproof, and 360' FOV.

Name your price, Absam. ;)

Mark

I guess I still don't get it. My ideal compact would be an 8x28 reverse porro of alpha caliber. Make it light (10 ounces or less), compact, single hinge, waterproof, and 360' FOV.

Name your price, Absam. ;)

Mark

Mark,

It would be too big.

Pentax makes a 9x28 Roof Prism which barely fits into a large shirt pocket. I have one. My son trekked around Peru, Bolivia and Chile with it 2 years ago so it's small enough for backpacking. An 8x28 Reverse Porro would be almost as long and wider. He is down there again and this time he is using a discontinued Single Hinge 8x25 Roof Prism Columbia Back Country made by Kreuger with a 360' FOV. (Remarkably good binocular for it's $89.00 close out price! Even for it's regular price of $240.00!) It's larger overall than the Swarovski 8x25CL P.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/pentax/pentax-dcf-lv-9x28-roof-prism-binocular

Bob

Last edited:
No, BIG difference in size between roof and reverse porro. Reversing the porro objectives makes things much smaller.

You're absolutely right about the Pentax. Too big. I tried it for a week and sent it back. Not really a "compact."

Mark

Hi Mark

My twin hinge Leica didn't have loose hinges as such, I personally didn't get on with two barrels. Whenever I focussed them, tried to adjust the dioptre, twisted myself round to view excessively left or right or just up, I seemed to alter the IPD. Blame it on me.

The single hinge just suits me fine.

But your assertion that it comes down to size and weight and one's definition of pocket bins is spot on.

Swaros pocket 25mm CLs seem to answer a different question although they answer it very well and are as beautiful as any Swaro. The 8x25 is nearly 3/4 inch taller and 4 ozs heavier than 8x20 Leica Uvid pocket and Zeiss Vic Compact.

This size and weight difference puts it in a different category IMHO as does its 25mm ob lens of course.

Lee

Last edited:
Hi Mark

My twin hinge Leica didn't have loose hinges as such, I personally didn't get on with two barrels. Whenever I focussed them, tried to adjust the dioptre, twisted myself round to view excessively left or right or just up, I seemed to alter the IPD. Blame it on me.

Lee

Lee, I think you're right, but it really is about IPD. The smaller the exit pupil, the more you have to adjust it for distance and simply getting it to line up with your eyes. For me, 8x20 is pushing the limits. I like the 8x25 CLP, but the 7x26 Bushnell is still an "easier" view. It just has other deficits that make me prefer the Swaro. Close call though.

Mark

No, BIG difference in size between roof and reverse porro. Reversing the porro objectives makes things much smaller.

You're absolutely right about the Pentax. Too big. I tried it for a week and sent it back. Not really a "compact."

Mark

I should amend this. Using the reverse porro can make the binocular much smaller. Nikon blew it with the Prostaffs, for instance--too big and heavy. Big chunks of aluminum covered in rubber. But consider the goofy Olympus 8x25 reverse porro Tracker (now discontinued). It was simply amazing (I still have two versions of it), but the FOV was limited and they used some kind of plastic aspheric lens that turns yellow over the years. Yucky yellow at this point. Nonetheless it was 10 ounces and sharp as anything out there.

Start with that, work some techno magic, and you can rule the realm of compacts. :t:

As for the Nikon 8x20, well it's still hamstrung by being an 8x20. I don't think you can escape that basic law of optics.

Mark

PS: Bushnell sort of blew it on the 7x26 for the same reasons Nikon did. Too much aluminum, too much rubber. The Custom used to be smaller, lighter.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back