• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Waterproof 10x42 (1 Viewer)

I think, after listening to various opinions, as much as try, I can't get away with the fact I need to go and check them all out for myself.... so I will.

I like the Nikons but do fancy fully waterproofing too... I may even save a few more pennies first so I can perhaps move up a notch on the scale. Tell you what, I'll think about it for a few weeks, decide on the Nikons and find they've all sold out... that'll work ;)

Thanks for all your kind help anyway, very very useful.

At £99-00, the cost is, in the lifespan of the binoculars, almost inconsequential (and I don't speak as a wealthy person).

As good as the Sporters are, if you can push the boat out further, you would not regret paying for a top-notch model, such as the 8x42HG, or offerings from Zeiss, Leica or Swaro. In fact, if you are going to wait, a brand new model from Zeiss is around the corner.

scampo said:
Lindsay

I have had the Swaros for a couple of years but my brother just bought the Nikon 8x42HGs. I have been more than surprised by the quality of the Nikons although both are very fine optics - if I were buying again, I'd definitely think hard about the Nikons.

Thanks Steve, will try to check them out-the price is similar. I am attracted to the Swaro's due to the company's excellent service ( from what I hear ) and also that they have the edge over Leica. After the experience I have had from Leica with a Apo 62 scope ( too much to go into just now - still in therapy from it ;) ) this really appeals to me. Will try to check out the DFC HG's though.

Thanks

Linz

marcus said:
Don't waste you money on the H20! They are no good. No good.
That does seem to be a rather too succinct and unsubstantiated comment. I don't have personal experience but do remember that the H2O bins were highly reviewed when they came out, especially for the lowish price.

scampo said:
That does seem to be a rather too succinct and unsubstantiated comment. I don't have personal experience but do remember that the H2O bins were highly reviewed when they came out, especially for the lowish price.
Scampo, I don't want to be impolite, but those things stink. I'll admit the low price is nice, that's why I bought mine, but...

marcus said:
Scampo, I don't want to be impolite, but those things stink. I'll admit the low price is nice, that's why I bought mine, but...
You ought to know then - but really, a bit of objectivity is more helpful, don't you think? What aspects are so poor - fov, sharpness, clarity, brighgtness? They were reviewed highly about three years back but now seem discontinued over here.

Last edited:
scampo said:
You ought to know then - but really, a bit of objectivity is more helpful, don't you think? What aspects are so poor - fov, sharpness, clarity, brighgtness? They were reviewed highly about three years back but now seem discontinued over here.
The view was very dark, but the clarity was probably the main poor bit of the 'view'.

I tried out some expensive Nikon 10x42 binoculars (Monarchs if I remember right) that had darker image than my Bushnell 10x42 binocs. The clarity isn't the best, but they are still very good for the price.

I bought a pair of Bushnell 10 x 42 roofs on holls (natureviews) For my first pair of propper bins I can't fault them - used them all the time. Compared to my old Chinese panda 8 x 30's they are amazing

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back