• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax PF 65ED vs Leupold 12x40x60 HD (2 Viewers)

grcolts

This weekend I had the chance to view several scopes and narrowed my purchase list down to three: Pentax PF 65ED, PF 80Ed or the Leupold 12x40x60HD scopes. My wife and I both really enjoyed the big bright views from the Leupold. It has a large 30mm eye relief and the view is so bright.
Now, Pentax offers interchangeable eyepieces while the Leupold does not.
My question is using various eyepieces with the Pentax will the views be better than from using the 20x-60x zoom I was looking through? If I were just comparing the built-in eyepiece of the Leupold vs the 20x-60x eyepiece on the Pentax Leupold would get the nod. So, my choice is now to narrow my choice down to one.
P.S.- The Leica 77 APO scope was very sweet too. It was the most expensive scope I took a look at and its brightness level was very very good but not as good as good as the Leupold in my humble opinion.
GR

I think being able to change eyepieces allow you to do so much more.

If you like big bright views with long eyerelief, please read my "various eyepiece review" and look under the 40mm and 32mm plossl eyepieces. Those eyepieces will give them to you on the Pentax (and they are cheap too).

One cool thing I am still working out is how to get my binoviewer working on my Pentax; the parts should arrive this week so I should be able to post a review the next. Do a Google on "Binoviewers" and you will see that people who use them rave about them. Since the Pentax allows 1.25" eyepieces, it will give you the option of attaching telescope accessories such as diagonals and binoviewers which, IMO, can take the spotter to a whole new level.

Last edited:
grcolts said:
This weekend I had the chance to view several scopes and narrowed my purchase list down to three: Pentax PF 65ED, PF 80Ed or the Leupold 12x40x60HD scopes. My wife and I both really enjoyed the big bright views from the Leupold. It has a large 30mm eye relief and the view is so bright.
Now, Pentax offers interchangeable eyepieces while the Leupold does not.
My question is using various eyepieces with the Pentax will the views be better than from using the 20x-60x zoom I was looking through? If I were just comparing the built-in eyepiece of the Leupold vs the 20x-60x eyepiece on the Pentax Leupold would get the nod. So, my choice is now to narrow my choice down to one.
P.S.- The Leica 77 APO scope was very sweet too. It was the most expensive scope I took a look at and its brightness level was very very good but not as good as good as the Leupold in my humble opinion.
GR
Interesting: i havent been able to look through them myself, but from just the internet those wld be my favorites too. Somebody mentioned that there can be such a thing as too much eyerelief: any sign of that on the Leupold?

Eyepieces

Thanks for your input. I will certainly take a look at your various eyepieces review.
GR

Can Popper said:
I think being able to change eyepieces allow you to do so much more.

If you like big bright views with long eyerelief, please read my "various eyepiece review" and look under the 40mm and 32mm plossl eyepieces. Those eyepieces will give them to you on the Pentax (and they are cheap too).

One cool thing I am still working out is how to get my binoviewer working on my Pentax; the parts should arrive this week so I should be able to post a review the next. Do a Google on "Binoviewers" and you will see that people who use them rave about them. Since the Pentax allows 1.25" eyepieces, it will give you the option of attaching telescope accessories such as diagonals and binoviewers which, IMO, can take the spotter to a whole new level.

Too much eye relief?

From reading the specs online and hearing about some other folks concern with this scope I fully expected to see black outs through the eyepiece with the Leupold. Well, I am here to tell you my wife and I had no such problem with the 30mm eye relief. It was a joy to view through.
My biggest concern is with its eyepiece being fixed as opposed to the Pentax's being interchangeable. I am evaluating now if that really is going to be a concern to me or not. Even thought the Pentax 80ED has a larger lens and gathers quite a bit of light the optics in the Leupold with the smaller lens actually seemed brighter and larger. It must have something to do with the matched index lens system where as the Leupold uses both a lens and a mirror. I was impressed with this scope and am surprised more birders are not using it in the field. One person on another list has had a problem getting her digital camera to work properly with the scope but I think that could be worked out someway. I think whatever scope I decide to go with I will be happy.
GR

willemjacobusse said:
Interesting: i havent been able to look through them myself, but from just the internet those wld be my favorites too. Somebody mentioned that there can be such a thing as too much eyerelief: any sign of that on the Leupold?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back