• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica Butterflies ID help, please (1 Viewer)

madamcoolpix

a.k.a. Madam Butterfly
I've been to Costa Rica last August and have taken quite a number of shots of different species. I was able to ID a few, others I think I know what they are (but I'm not sure) and several I haven't the foggiest idea what they are. These are some of the latter:

1) taken in Selva Verde, Caribbean lowlands.
2) & 3) same specimen, taken in Copey area, Pacific mountains.
4) taken in front of the entrance of Carara N. P., by the road. Pacific lowlands.

Can anybody help with the ID?

Thank you in advance

Marian

Attachments

• DSCN1315 Selva Verde 2.jpg
    DSCN1315 Selva Verde 2.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCN15 Copey 2.jpg
    DSCN15 Copey 2.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCN1588 Copey 2.jpg
    DSCN1588 Copey 2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCN1744 Carara 2.jpg
    DSCN1744 Carara 2.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Butterfly id

Hello, I am not sure on two of them although the first is Cissia hesione and the second photo on the rocks seems to be Catasticta theresa I hope this helps.
Adrian

Thanks a lot, Adrian! Yes, it really helps! I must add that 2nd and 3rd photos are of the same specimen, I forgot to say it when I posted the shots (now I've correct it). I hope that helps too, to anyone who can confirm your ID.
Thanks you again
Marian

Oh, Harri, thanks a lot for your help. I'm a bit late (a month) but I hope you forgive me! ;) I had lost my hopes on finding somebody to help with that thirth Butterfly and I've not checked this thread for a long long time.

Thank you very much to you both, Adrian and Harri! I have more Costa Rican Butterflies to ID, and I'll post them very soon.

Marian

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back