• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (2 Viewers)

I've spent three out of four days looking for Ring Ouzels over the Dosthill side, it looks suitable but no luck so far.
Update. 30/3/12, 2 Little Ringed Plover were on the north pit and a Green Sandpiper on Hall Lake.
2/4/12, A Speckled Wood butterfly and 2 Redpoll were on the Dosthill side.
3/4/12, Up to 10 Redshank were seen on the various pools. A female Wheatear was on the north pit and 2 male Yellowhammer were on a nearby hedgerow.
It's back to winter today with some snow showers and still no sign of any hides so it looks like staying indoors for me.
Geoff

Geoff - what is the current situation with regard to the erection of a hide, will there be one in place anytime this season?

Laurie -
Hi Laurie,
I was told by Nick Martin, the site manager that we should be getting a hide in April or May but they were still waiting for planning permission and the OK from EA.
Geoff

OK from the EA............did'nt it used to be a.........quarry!:-O Full of trucks and LRP's;) - sounds like a nice job for somebody.

Hav'nt been up since last Autumn - if nothing else is doing, i.e. Pallid Harrier between Frampton and Sharpness might pop in tomorrow.

Laurie:t:

Update.
5th April, the Osprey seen at KWP was also reported at Midd Lakes according to Midd Lakes Facebook, the Red legged Partridge was seen again in fields by the north pit and a Common Gull was on new reedbed pit. A Short-eared Owl was reported again in the evening.
6th April, 3 Sand Martin and a Swallow flew through, 1 or 2 Willow Warbler were singing on the Dosthill side.
7th April, a Grey Heron caught a Mallard duckling at Fishers Mill Pool.
9th April, 2 Wheatear were reported.
10th April, 2 Goldeneye still, 1 Snipe and 9 Sand Martin.
11th April, 1 Common Sandpiper on Dosthill Lake, 3 Cetti's Warbler singing and Yellowhammer singing at Dosthill.
13th April, apart from the usual waders, (Oystercatcher, LRP, Ringed Plover and Redshank), a Greenshank was heard calling several times and a Common Sandpiper was on FMP. 4 Common Tern were new arrivals on the north pit and 8 Swallows flew north.
The year list now stands at 115 species.
Geoff

Saturday 5th May bird count.

I checked out the opposition at Upton Warren yesterday, 3 Avocet, a Water Rail was calling and 4 House Martin were my first of the year but still no Cetti's Warbler there.
I hope that as many birders as possible can be out at Midd Lakes on Saturday 5th May for the bird count to see how many species can be seen in a day.
I've been told that the RSPB will have someone out at the car park on the day keeping a check of what's been seen.
Look forward to seeing you there.
Geoff

I checked out the opposition at Upton Warren yesterday, 3 Avocet, a Water Rail was calling and 4 House Martin were my first of the year but still no Cetti's Warbler there.
I hope that as many birders as possible can be out at Midd Lakes on Saturday 5th May for the bird count to see how many species can be seen in a day.
I've been told that the RSPB will have someone out at the car park on the day keeping a check of what's been seen.
Look forward to seeing you there.
Geoff

Think you will absolutely slaughter us on the 5th Geoff but its all a bit of harmless fun! Of course Steve Nuttall's crew at Belvide will kick both our backsides :-O

Think you will absolutely slaughter us on the 5th Geoff but its all a bit of harmless fun! Of course Steve Nuttall's crew at Belvide will kick both our backsides :-O

Hi Phil,
We still don't have a hide and I'll have to get back to the RSPB to remind them of the bird day as they don't seem to be promoting it on their blog.
Geoff

Hi Phil,
We still don't have a hide and I'll have to get back to the RSPB to remind them of the bird day as they don't seem to be promoting it on their blog.
Geoff

In all fairness Geoff we try to saturate UW but that is relatively easy with its small size. I wonder what say 50 dedicated birders working Middleton could produce in a day. Just out of interest what are you using as your boundaries, the reserve's edge?

Took a trip to Middleton today and really enjoyed myself.

Only being the second time visiting I managed to see:

x3 Buzzard right from the off
Wrens
Redstart's heard all over the reserve
Willow Warbler galore
Great Crested Grebes
Tufted Duck
Black Headed Gulls
Kestral
Kingfisher
Lapwing
Blackcap/Willow Tit (picture to follow which will confirm for me)
Long Tail Tit's

I spent a good 4 hours round the reserve today and rounded the day off by taking a look at the big fallen tree near the carpark, nothing, then headed back to the car. Put the lens away, camera away, and what landed...Kestral perched above where I had just been standing haha.

Next time ;)

In all fairness Geoff we try to saturate UW but that is relatively easy with its small size. I wonder what say 50 dedicated birders working Middleton could produce in a day. Just out of interest what are you using as your boundaries, the reserve's edge?
Hi Phil,
I will leave the boundaries for the race up to the RSPB this year,as they will be running it.
Generally I use the entrances to the reserve as the boundaries. Not including Kingsbury Water Park as they have their own recorders, so Middleton Hall and Lake, Dosthill hill and lake and the reserve itself which is split in two by the river as we still don't have a bridge.
Geoff

Quick pic of the Buzzard which was one of 3 right by the Heronry, nice start to the outing.

View attachment 378753
Hi djaphoto,
Nice picture of the Buzzard, I look forward to more photos on this thread.
I'm new to photography but recently bought me a Nikon Coolpix P500 so I'll have to try it out over the reserve one of the days ( I did put a picture of a Smew on here some time back).
We could also do with some shots of the reserve itself.
Geoff

Hi djaphoto,
Nice picture of the Buzzard, I look forward to more photos on this thread.
I'm new to photography but recently bought me a Nikon Coolpix P500 so I'll have to try it out over the reserve one of the days ( I did put a picture of a Smew on here some time back).
We could also do with some shots of the reserve itself.
Geoff

Cheers Geoff,

It's only the second time I've been so still finding my feet there, but definately like the wetlands trail and woodland.

Got a few images to go through so will share anymore that have turned out good tomorrow ;)

Dan

Redstart

Took a trip to Middleton today and really enjoyed myself.

Only being the second time visiting I managed to see:

x3 Buzzard right from the off
Wrens
Redstart's heard all over the reserve
Willow Warbler galore
Great Crested Grebes
Tufted Duck
Black Headed Gulls
Kestral
Kingfisher
Lapwing
Blackcap/Willow Tit (picture to follow which will confirm for me)
Long Tail Tit's

I spent a good 4 hours round the reserve today and rounded the day off by taking a look at the big fallen tree near the carpark, nothing, then headed back to the car. Put the lens away, camera away, and what landed...Kestral perched above where I had just been standing haha.

Next time ;)

Hi DJ,
Redstarts are very rarely seen on the reserve I have only ever seen one in Spring on the now private section it would appear your confusing Willow Warbler/ Chiffchaff call which is similar to Redstart.

Regards, John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back