• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (1 Viewer)

Can anyone reccomend a good area for seawatching in the Plymouth area.I am down for the weekend of 24/25 Nov and would like to catch up with some Sea duck and divers. cheers.

If you can get down as far as St Austell then Par Beach is a good spot. Surf and Velvet Scoter there recently.

Up to four CATTLE EGRETS around the county yesterday. All seem pretty mobile and hard to pin down. See Cornwall Birding website for locations.

I see the Pacific Diver has returned or a new one has turned up most likely the same bird I would have thought wiv it being and adult an all of that. I should know coz I found it o:D, just hope people who haven't seen one get it and people who douted it earlier this year can go and have a look for themselves.

Best wishes,
Lee

I am spending the weekend based at Hayle. I will be with the family. How easy is it to see the Green Winged Teal at Hayle Estuary. Birdguides says from the B3301 bridge. Will this mean a prolonged search over a massive expanse of water ?

Usually standing on the bridge and scoping each Teal close by will score you the one with a vertical flank stripe. ;)

Sometimes it is just below the bridge.

I am spending the weekend based at Hayle. I will be with the family. How easy is it to see the Green Winged Teal at Hayle Estuary. Birdguides says from the B3301 bridge. Will this mean a prolonged search over a massive expanse of water ?

As Andrew says - it's easy - providing that it's not top of the tide, as soon as the water has dropped a little the birds return to the channel to roost or browse.
The birds are very accomodating at Hayle and stick to the same territory year after year, the Teal are always near the bridge - the Wigeon overlap a bit but are generally nearer Lelant Station (the American bird was there).
When you are at the bridge look right to see a small factory 3/4 mile down the road, in the estuary behind it there are three stumps and there's usually a Peregrine on one of them with Shelduck walking around it.
From those stumps across to Lelant Station is Greenshank/Spotted Redshank turf.
If the weather is nasty the Egrets will be hiding behind short reeds forwards and left from the bridge near the black railway bridge that carries the branch line across the road.
Don't forget to see the Kingfishers in Ryan's field behind you, usually a Snipe too.
If the GW Teal is facing wrong way and asleep the eye gives it away - it's missing the thin white line under the eye which probably has a correct name :smoke:

Hi. I am stayinh at Padstow for 3 days (around 13th Dec). I will have the chance to spend 1 day bird watching while my better half is Christmas shopping in Truro! There does not appear to be any obvious place to visit relatively nearby, but I don't know the area and I am very much a beginner.

I would be very grateful of any suggestions.

Loaf

There is the Camel Trail and there are one or two hides on it overlooking the river but my recollection is vague. Hopefully one or two will come along with more advice soon.

Truro often has a Black Redstart around the Cathedral and Coop store nearby if you have to spend any time in the city. There are at present 4 Avocets at St Clement on the Tresillian River just east of Truro with Greenshanks.
There are a few spots on the north coast which include good areas for Corn Bunting but I don't have a good knowledge of the area.
Hope this helps.
Cheers. Henerz.

Well that's a helpful start - thanks Henerz and Andrew. Much appreciated. The Cornwall Birding website has some helpful pointers by the looks of things.

St Ives Island & Carbis Bay in the teeth of a westerly gale today (pretty moderate as I could just remain standing).
From Carbis Bay Little Auk, Great Northern Diver, Pomarine Skua, Great Skua and Balearic Shearwater.
From St Ives Island 1w Iceland Gull; 4 Great Skua, 6 Purple Sandpiper, Little Gull, Pomarine Skua, Balearic Shearwater, Great Northern Diver & Dolphin.
Tomorrow the wind goes nor'west to northerly - I'll be taking the bins to work.

It's interesting to watch the diving birds - the local Cormorants when moved by the tide/wind will lift and return to their 'spot' - the GN Divers went with the flow.
Also of interest is how & why birds navigate - from what I've observed north/south traffic over St Ives bay is entirely different to south/north.
From N/S birds fly to 'some navigation point' in the centre of the bay and then head for the Island (which makes it such a good spot) - S/N traffic is never via the nav point in the bay and only rarely offshore.
I'd love to know what the point in the bay is that they use - in heavy movements it's like looking at a motorway junction and all the birds observe the highway code.

Siblyback

Great Grey Shrike showing well on NE bank,watched bird hang two mice in a small tree on the bankside,flew of miday and was not seen again.

Attachments

• IMG_9783_1.JPG
    IMG_9783_1.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 61
Siblyback

Great Grey Shrike showed first thing this morning in a fur tree,but did not see again left at 1500 hrs.

Attachments

• IMG_0006_1_1.jpg
    IMG_0006_1_1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0004_1_1.JPG
    IMG_0004_1_1.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 55
There's at least 35 cattle egrets in Cornwall today. The flock at St Ives has up to 19 birds and the flock at drift has 13+!! The ones at St Ives are very photogenic. See Cornwall Birding website for photos and details.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back