• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (13 Viewers)

Binoculators said:
A friend of mine has just told me there was a group of about 15 or so birders looking out over Breydon Water late yesterday afternoon from somewhere near the hide (near Asda), obviously something of interest.
Don't suppose anybody knows what I missed?

Wotcha B, yes there are sometimes organised groups aloong there

Only thing on Birdguides for yesterday is 2 Spotted Redshank & 2 Curlew Sandpipers

Shame its P**sing down! I might try and find them otherwize. How rare are rose coloured starlings in the UK, on a 1 - 10 scale. It just feels odd, twitching a starling!

If 1 is a mega rare, and 10 is a Starling... then a Rosy is about a 4.

There's one in East Anglia most years ... but this one hasn't been seen since the original report.

Just looked at Birdguides and Rosy is now on there with a frowning face next to it. I guess this means it was mis-identified. Wryneck awesome though.

Pallid Harrier until 11.50 then drifted off SW. Hopefully it will be relocated or return.

(also the 'sad face' presumably means the rosy was not seen again, not that it was mis-i'ded - you could try to relocate it around Waxham there is a huge starling flock that attracted a Rosy a few years back)

Pallid Harrier up between Hemsby / Winterton / Blood Hills wind farm (cheers Tim) this afternoon and it looked like there were still several people there about 5-ish as i came back past that way.

Rose-coloured Starling in the BT compound about 3.30 (ish?)

Just cross posting Sean's message - I hope he doesn't mind. Is of interset to Norfolk birding:

'If anyone got any pics of the Harrier and wouldn't mind one appearing on our informal Winterton birding website (www.birdwatch.plus.com), please send me one...

Ta,
Sean'

Not as exciting today as I expected, but a glorious day anyway. Awoke to a very misty morning, which when it cleared, I thought (as several people did) some interesting birds would appear. At Holme behind the bungalows (half way down opp. NWT pay hut) I saw a couple of black caps and a lovely female bullfinch along with Jay and Marsh Harrier. Several Little Egrets, whimbrel and curlew in pools by dunes. An extremely annoying, interesting looking warbler dived in a bush and never (I swear!!!) came out again, I watched that bush like a hawk for a long time! Gave up in the end and moved on. There was a lovely line-up of young starlings sitting on the telegraph poles near the 5-bar gate. Carried on down to car parks. Lots of wigeon flyng over, few whimbrel. Didn't see very much at all really. Holme Bird Observatory had a good old social gathering there today. It was roosting hot now (always a sun trap at HBO) and everyone was peeling off their layers. Somebody's pager came up with 7 common buzzards seen at Thornham just after 12pm, so we all looked to the skies and a very sharp birder/photographer (BF member I think - don't his 'name' on here, he didn't give that away!) spotted some of them high in the clouds above Holme Church (12.30ish). I was very pleased as I had 4 in the scope at one time, and even though distant it was wonderful to see. I spent more time doing photography than birding today - lots of commas, red admirals, painted ladies, speckled wood x 1, small copper x 2 and several dragonflies, all of which with lots of patience I got pictures of. Moved on to Titchwell later where I saw 4 Little Stints, common sandpiper, greenshank, redshanks, egrets plus all usual waders. Seawatch 6.30pmish for a short while included several eider, common scooter and 2 gannets. Walked back to view the egrets flying in to roost.

Other reports today: 2 honey buzzards at Snettisham, pink footed geese and bramblings at Holkham, 2 white admirals at Holkham near Joe Jordan Hide.

Popped up to Winterton today to see if I could find Rosie or the Pallid Harrier, unfortunately I only had an hour and didn't see either of them, but did see some Wheatear on the dunes and a Convolvulus Hawk-Moth which was nice.

was there (winterton) at the first light, after goin to the pub the night b4 thinkin it would be a good idea to get a taxi out there (mmmmmm). saw the harrier fly up the dunes then eventually come back to its favoured area, few winchats in the fields, sparrowhawks and two cracking summer plumed rtdivers on the sea.
Thanks to the lovely couple who took me home, and to work (aaaaarrrrrgh)

Snettisham Tide Info

Hi Peeps,

Still reading your thread for info on Norfolk. We are coming down from brum next friday (29th), hopefully to arrive just before lunchtime, leave on sunday. Got a B&B in Wells-next-the-sea. Hoping to get lots of lifers and maybe even a rarity or two!

We have booked to go on the seal trip to blakeney for a bit of armchair sea-watching lol :) The other places I want to visit are: Cley Marshes, Salthouse Marshes, Holme Dunes & Bird Observatory, Titchwell & Snettisham. Its a lot to fit in for the short time we are there and I'm trying to plan an itinery of sorts.

Please can anyone tell me what time the high tide will be at Snet, so we can see all the waders and is there anything else I need to know about the Norfolk tides to maximise our birding enjoyment?

Any help much appreciated :)

Kstar

kstar_76 said:
Hi Peeps,

Still reading your thread for info on Norfolk. We are coming down from brum next friday (29th), hopefully to arrive just before lunchtime, leave on sunday. Got a B&B in Wells-next-the-sea. Hoping to get lots of lifers and maybe even a rarity or two!

We have booked to go on the seal trip to blakeney for a bit of armchair sea-watching lol :) The other places I want to visit are: Cley Marshes, Salthouse Marshes, Holme Dunes & Bird Observatory, Titchwell & Snettisham. Its a lot to fit in for the short time we are there and I'm trying to plan an itinery of sorts.

Please can anyone tell me what time the high tide will be at Snet, so we can see all the waders and is there anything else I need to know about the Norfolk tides to maximise our birding enjoyment?

Any help much appreciated :)

Kstar

Hi there - the tides for next weekend are: Friday 29th - 10.41am (6.1 tide), Saturday 30th - 11.34am (5.6), and Sun 1st is a neep tide. Very low tides that weekend I am afraid, which means its not high enough to get loads of waders off their feeding grounds at Snettisham. Your best bet for waders is to go to Titchwell, always a massive selection there, it will be better than Snettisham, being as the tides are very low that weekend (just to help your itinary if you run out of time!), following weekend are the BIG high tides. Snettisham is still a brilliant reserve though, plus the coastal park adjoining RSPB reserve is excellent for migrants. I am sure you will see some fabulous birds this coming weekend, anything could turn up anywhere. I have this week booked off for birding etc, so I hope VERY much its going to be a good week! Have a brilliant weekend.

Best Wishes Penny

hello NORFOLK BIRDERS, I'm hoping to come down to Norfolk for a winter birding session this year and I was wondering without you giving any secret locations away could you tell me the best places to see wintering Hen Harriers hunting. Plus the best areas to see wader flocks and the spectacular geese flocks which I've heard so much about. I hope this will not be to much trouble to you all and I thank you in advance for any help made available to me. If I can be of any help in return about locations in the North East and times to see certain things please contact me on this Norfolk thread and I'll look out for any of your requests on a regular basis. Thanks again Northern birder.

Penny Clarke said:
Hi there - the tides for next weekend are: Friday 29th - 10.41am (6.1 tide), Saturday 30th - 11.34am (5.6), and Sun 1st is a neep tide. Very low tides that weekend I am afraid, which means its not high enough to get loads of waders off their feeding grounds at Snettisham. Your best bet for waders is to go to Titchwell, always a massive selection there, it will be better than Snettisham, being as the tides are very low that weekend (just to help your itinary if you run out of time!), following weekend are the BIG high tides. Snettisham is still a brilliant reserve though, plus the coastal park adjoining RSPB reserve is excellent for migrants. I am sure you will see some fabulous birds this coming weekend, anything could turn up anywhere. I have this week booked off for birding etc, so I hope VERY much its going to be a good week! Have a brilliant weekend.

Best Wishes Penny

Hi Penny

Thanks for the info. Just one question - what is a neep tide? Sorry to sound ignorant but I am a landlocked brummie so I don't really have a clue about tides and suchlike ;)

Sunday was meant to be the day for Snet, as its slightly west I thought we could go there ahead of the drive back. But if you think there won't be much about I'll rethink that. I wanted to see the spectacle of all the waders and see some I havn't seen before, but I sometimes struggle with wader ID so being faced with thousands of them does sound a bit daunting lol. Will definately visit Titchwell - do the tides matter there?

As for the migrants they may occur at some of the other places we go to - will just have to wait and see.

Hope your birding week is a good one Penny, I appreciate your help :D

Kstar

kstar_76 said:
Hi Penny

Thanks for the info. Just one question - what is a neep tide? Sorry to sound ignorant but I am a landlocked brummie so I don't really have a clue about tides and suchlike ;)

Sunday was meant to be the day for Snet, as its slightly west I thought we could go there ahead of the drive back. But if you think there won't be much about I'll rethink that. I wanted to see the spectacle of all the waders and see some I havn't seen before, but I sometimes struggle with wader ID so being faced with thousands of them does sound a bit daunting lol. Will definately visit Titchwell - do the tides matter there?

As for the migrants they may occur at some of the other places we go to - will just have to wait and see.

Hope your birding week is a good one Penny, I appreciate your help :D

Kstar

Official meaning of A NEAP TIDE: 'The neap tides occur when the sun and moon make a right angle with the earth. Therefore, the tide-producing effects of the sun and moon cancel each other slightly so that the tidal range is considerably less than the mean tidal range.' In a nutshell a very low, high tide,if that makes sense!!! Snettisham is still worth going to, don't be put off by the 'low' high tides. Tide doesn't make any difference to seeing waders at Titchwell, only for seawatching obviously. There is a shop, cafe at Titchwell where you can get drinks/ice-creams/hot food by the way. Note, there is no visitor centre/food or toilets at Snettisham reserve, but there are pubs in village nearby. Have a good weekend.
Best Wishes Penny

Geese etc

To get a real "Goose" spectacle park at Lady Annes Drive Holkham, then walk west along the footpath on the landward side of the Pines, until you reach a hide with a ramped boardwalk. Head up here approximately 1 hour before sunset - don't leave until the light's almost gone.

Expect up to 20,000 Pink feet, can get upt to 40,000+ in late December, good for Barn owl, possibility of Hen Harrier, but more regularly over wintering Marsh, normally a Little Egret roost here has been up to 150+, although less last winter.

If you get here with time to spare the bay usually hold a pile of Common Scoter, along with Divers, can be really good for Red-necked & Slav Grebe but varies year to year. Snow Bunting & Shorelark regular in the saltings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back