• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birding near Abu Dhabi Airport (2 Viewers)

Jhanlon

I have a few hours here en route to Sri Lanka in March. Only 5.5 which only leaves about 3 spare so I can't go very far (and might be prudent to stay within walking distance)! I have contacted someone from UAE birding website but was wondering if anyone else has stopped here and seen much? I'm particularly after any 'Middle East' specialities not occuring in Europe or Sri Lanka.

many thanks
James H

You can pick up quite a few species really close to the airport.

If you come out of the main terminal and cross over the road there is a small park which you can pick up a number of more common species. Note that there is a small fee so you will need some small change (think about 20p worth but cant remember).

After this you need to get the the edge of the sand golf course where there is an area of watse ground which has wet depressions and reeds. You should pick up more species here including waders and bee eaters etc.

If you look at google maps (aerial image) the park is directly south of terminal and waste ground with pools is just south of this and west of the tennis coursts and sand golf course.

Enjoy

from memory the species were as follows but think i missed a few but gives you some idea

park by terminal
Red vented bulbul
White cheeked bulbul
Purple sunbird
Swift
common myna
laughing dove
collared dove

Wasteground
Indian silverbill
Spotted crake
Red wattled plover
black kite
moorhem
black winged stilt
stint
rose ring parakeet

Last edited:
from memory the species were as follows but think i missed a few but gives you some idea

park by terminal
Red vented bulbul
White cheeked bulbul
Purple sunbird
Swift
common myna
laughing dove
collared dove

Wasteground
Indian silverbill
Spotted crake
Red wattled plover
black kite
moorhem
black winged stilt
stint
rose ring parakeet

thanks for this. It's OK birding so close to the airport? Don't want to get arrested!

thanks for this. It's OK birding so close to the airport? Don't want to get arrested!

its fine in the locations stated as the first is a park and the second is past the park so further away and hidden. Never had any problems.

enjoy

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back