• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kumlein's Gull?? (1 Viewer)

CJW

Hit-and-run WUM
Hi all,
I went to see this bird which had been reported to me as a Glaucous Gull but, immediately on seeing it (although distant-ish), considered it to be an Iceland. Now, looking at my pics, I'm considering the possibility of it being a Kumlien's.
All (helpful) comments gratefully received.

Attachments

• IcelandGull230913BG.jpg
    IcelandGull230913BG.jpg
    520.4 KB · Views: 405
  • IcelandGull230913BF.jpg
    IcelandGull230913BF.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
These guys are tough... I agree, it's not a Glaucous with that slim build. I'm not qualified to assess Kumlien's vs Iceland, but the taxonomy of those two is tricky, with, as far as I can tell, no concrete means of separating intermediate looking individuals. Hopefully some of the larophiles will chime in.

Your bird seems to be on the paler end of the spectrum, but with some brownish patterning in the wing tips, which might be too much for pure Iceland.

As you already know Chris, I'd be worried about the lack primary projection and rather Herring like look to the head - you need someone with attention to feather detail to rule out leucistic Herring. Lou, Snowcap, JanJ Smiths...where are you....

As you already know Chris, I'd be worried about the lack primary projection and rather Herring like look to the head - you need someone with attention to feather detail to rule out leucistic Herring. Lou, Snowcap, JanJ Smiths...where are you....

Had confirmation from Josh at Birdguides.

old trap, jane, imagine two more wingtips, up to p9 and you'll have a longish wingtip. this is a 2cy and p9 and p10 are not visible (p10 might not yet be grown at all), just p8 growing with p7 being the longest primary (and forming the "wingtip" in the swimming pic).
but: on the same time i think you rather felt something what i also feel, and that is the rather herring like jizz in the swimming pic: http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=465037&d=1379947415
it's head shape, blotchy irregular striation bold, gc-pattern, strong looking neck and last but not least: bill is too strong to belong to a kumlieni/glaucoides type. i just don't have enough experience with these but it might be a 'hypergentatus', viking gull. this without checking anything. very pale HG is another option.

Attachments

• manx gull.jpg
    manx gull.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back