• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift Falcon 702 (1 Viewer)

ChadHahn

I picked up a nice pair of Swift binoculars. Model 702 Falcon 8x40 472 ft. at 1,000 yds.

I can't find anything out about them. What I can find is the Model 702B which is the Plover. The Plover has the same field of view as the Falcon. Are they the same binocular with a different name?

I tried to take some pictures, but only two weren't affected by camera shake. I'll post more later.

Thanks for any information.

Chad

Attachments

• Falcon.jpg
    Falcon.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 208
  • mount.jpg
    mount.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 175
Here are some more photos. On the focuser, it says infinite focus and the focuser slide up and down.

Chad

Attachments

• DSCF1011.jpg
    DSCF1011.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 193
  • DSCF1012.jpg
    DSCF1012.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 267
  • DSCF1013.jpg
    DSCF1013.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 238
  • DSCF1014.jpg
    DSCF1014.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 165
hello Chad,

The 702 Falcon is rare indeed. It's one of those Swift anomalies. Yes, it's possible that the Falcon, being #702, was a predecessor to the Plover #702B (but then, why the name change?).
Note that yet another edition of the #702B Plover has been issued, differing in field of view (going from 472 to 430 ft.) and possibly ocular construction (aspheric field lens).
Oh yes, and Swift did have another Falcon as well, completely unrelated to your model: 7x35, #752

By the way, how'd you evaluate them?

cheers,

Renze

The only binoculars close at hand are my Nikon 8x32s and the view isn't as good as those but the Swifts are nice binoculars in their own right. The colors are slightly washed out in the Falcons and the edge view is slightly less than the Nikons. It probably isn't fair to compare the Falcons with the Nikon, until I picked up the Nikon I was completely happy looking through the Swifts. I don't know what the price was on these binoculars but they are well built, solid and have a good view.

I still don't know what the infinite focus slide is for. It locks the focus so maybe it's for handing the binoculars to someone who doesn't know what they are doing. The user sets the focus to the correct distance and then locks it before they hand the binocular to someone else to use.

Chad

Chad,

Based on appearances I agree with Renze's analysis. Your model seems to be the predecessor to the 702B Plover that appears in Swift's 2000 and 2006 catalogs. Curiously, between those years the eye relief shrunk from 14mm to 13mm, but retained the advertised property of being "... especially kind to eyeglass wearers." I don't see any indication of a focus lock on either.

I don't know when these 702B Plover's first appeared, possibly in the '90s. With FC rather than MC lenses yours must have preceded them, but as Renze commented the name change is a Swift anomaly.

Ed

Attachments

• 702 Plover c. 2000.jpg
    702 Plover c. 2000.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 332
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back