• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The golden rule........ (1 Viewer)

mike from ebbw

..........is never to interfere with nature.That is what I have always been and have always taught anyway.This evening I broke that rule to my cost!
Whilst on an evening walk in the local woods today I came across a juvi Tawny Owl that had obviously decided to explore further than the nest hole and its parents were going nuts as it was on the floor.Thinking about the onset of the evening and a prowling Fox looking for an easy meal I decided to `break the rules` and interfere with nature.I put the chick safely up on a high branch and left.As I was making my way out of the wood I felt an almighty whack to the back of my head!One of the parent birds decided to thank me in a way I wouldnt forget.So there you have it,you should never interfere with nature,because it doesnt bl--dy thank you when you do!
LOL.

Attachments

• IMG_7459.jpg
    IMG_7459.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_7435.jpg
    IMG_7435.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_7464.jpg
    IMG_7464.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 298
Ooooh Mike. It does look painful. You may have saved it from a fox, think of that. Nice pictures though.

Joanne

That was a bit naughty Mike - have you ever heard of Eric Hosking? Do you know what happened to his left eye?

For those reading this thread that don't know about what happened to Eric Hosking the famous British bird photographer he was trying to get photographs of Tawny Owl at the nest in an old oak tree and had set up some staging to do so, one evening he arrived at the nest site and climbed the staging to settle into the hide, next thing he felt a sharp blow to his eye, it seems one of the Tawnies was'nt prepared to tolerate his presence and attacked...you can read about it far more accurately in his autobiography 'An Eye for a Bird'...one of the great titles among natural history books.

Mike we are all impressed with your thoughtful action regarding this vunerable young Tawny, and it's just as well it was the back of your head and not your face, it's does seem as if Tawnies have a thing about eyes though does'nt it.

Best Wishes,

Bill

I believe that Urals are even worse. An angry Ural will probably take your face off. Was the photo of the adult taken after the attack? If so, I commend your commitment to the art!

Well, I think you did the chick a good turn. It's a fledgling, looks about 30 days old, so has every chance of making it, unlike the doomed nestlings you so often see reported. But as you say, the ground NOT a good place to be as night falls. The mum should have been grateful!

She looks (very) alarmed in your pic — I think if I'd seen a mother looking lke that I'd have beaten a retreat! What I'm wondering is whether the chick clacked its beak when you moved it. That would be a pretty strong signal to attack. But also why she waited until you left, as surely she could see the chick on the branch? . . maybe she had to wait until there was a clear path to make her bombing run.

Almighty whack! I like it. I'd describe it as a 3/4 kilo bag of sand wrapped in an inch of wool thumping into you at about 20 mph. o:D

romillyh

PS: May I borrow the back of your head for a news item my website? (See http://www.godsownclay.com/news2008.html)

Last edited:
For those reading this thread that don't know about what happened to Eric Hosking the famous British bird photographer he was trying to get photographs of Tawny Owl at the nest in an old oak tree and had set up some staging to do so, one evening he arrived at the nest site and climbed the staging to settle into the hide, next thing he felt a sharp blow to his eye, it seems one of the Tawnies was'nt prepared to tolerate his presence and attacked...you can read about it far more accurately in his autobiography 'An Eye for a Bird'...one of the great titles among natural history books.

I have 'An Eye for a Bird' and that chapter makes me cringe every time I read it! It's a witty book title, as Hosking literally gave 'an eye for a bird' as well as had 'an eye for a bird'.

It's a super book and well worth getting hold of.

Well, I think you did the chick a good turn. It's a fledgling, looks about 30 days old, so has every chance of making it, unlike the doomed nestlings you so often see reported. But as you say, the ground NOT a good place to be as night falls. The mum should have been grateful!

She looks (very) alarmed in your pic — I think if I'd seen a mother looking lke that I'd have beaten a retreat! What I'm wondering is whether the chick clacked its beak when you moved it. That would be a pretty strong signal to attack. But also why she waited until you left, as surely she could see the chick on the branch? . . maybe she had to wait until there was a clear path to make her bombing run.

Almighty whack! I like it. I'd describe it as a 3/4 kilo bag of sand wrapped in an inch of wool thumping into you at about 20 mph. o:D

romillyh

PS: May I borrow the back of your head for a news item my website? (See http://www.godsownclay.com/news2008.html)

It was actually the alarm calls of the adult birds that attracted me to that area of the wood or else I wouldnt have found the youngster.I have to say that the fledgling was very calm when I picked it up.No hissing or clacking at all.I think as you say she waited for a clear path and for me to turn my back the sneaky b-gger LOL!

Please feel free to stick the pic of my noggin on your website.

tanks mike, your battle scars now grace my page. I've also used a small crop of the (feathered) chick as it nicely illustrates the point about nestlings earlier on the page.

romillyh

We interfere with nature by existing :smoke:

I thought I would bump this in case anyone is thinking of photographing Tawny Owls or their young so they can see the possible consequences.

Blimey! I bet it really did sting afterwards - I really wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of an angry Tawny!

You are to be commended ,Mike,saving this little one from the big bad fox!!!.But you managed a couple of good photos,well done.
Gosh,I bet you were quite scared and in shock.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back