• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sketches from Andrew Ellis (1 Viewer)

Hi Mike it's on MDF primed and is 24 x 36cm. I'm wondering whether to leave it be or do a whole lot more to it? Thinking maybe another curlew next to it and one feeding in background or maybe I should leave it be.

Thankyou Chaps for the high praise on the Peregrine plates. username the Baker book is one of my all time favorite books and the descriptions of Estuary and valley in there are magical

'Bakers talent for painting with words'......quite magnificent...!

ps...[and if i can be cheeky for one second];)..i attach a photo of my copy with a marvelous illustration on the front cover!

Nice bit of black n white work eh...?

All the best!

Attachments

• 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 70
Hi Mike it's on MDF primed and is 24 x 36cm. I'm wondering whether to leave it be or do a whole lot more to it? Thinking maybe another curlew next to it and one feeding in background or maybe I should leave it be.

leave this one as it be, anything more added to it would be fiddling now - by all means do another one with more birds!

'Bakers talent for painting with words'......quite magnificent...!

ps...[and if i can be cheeky for one second];)..i attach a photo of my copy with a marvelous illustration on the front cover!

Nice bit of black n white work eh...?

All the best!

I have the same copy and it is a lovely piece of work on the cover! I take it you are the artist behind it's creation.

I have the same copy and it is a lovely piece of work on the cover! I take it you are the artist behind it's creation.

more mystery and secrecy (I almost typed secretion instead just there ;)) from the mysterious and secretive username?? If you have been secretly being a phenomneal bird artist all these years and never told us I will...

Not be shocked at all, knowing you!;)

You make me laugh Andrew....[i just did...honest]!....as if i'm the artist behind that cover..[chuckle]!

ps...you did peak my interest tho and so i just had a look on the back of the dust jacket....and guess what?...that illustration is done from a photograph:eek!:

Now i never knew that!...[well why would i]?...i usually only read the inside of books.....

ps...out of interest...the photographer of 'that' peregrine was a chappy called Baumann...and the design, from said photo, was accomplished by a Brian Price-Thomas...and a fine piece of work it is too!

pss....[all of which you will find out when you next reach for your copy]...!

Heres another 15 min painting from my sketches of swifts the other night

Attachments

• 15-min-Swifts003.jpg
    15-min-Swifts003.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 98
  • _Swifts004.jpg
    _Swifts004.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 87
  • _Swifts005.jpg
    _Swifts005.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
You make me laugh Andrew....[i just did...honest]!....as if i'm the artist behind that cover..[chuckle]!

ps...you did peak my interest tho and so i just had a look on the back of the dust jacket....and guess what?...that illustration is done from a photograph:eek!:

Now i never knew that!...[well why would i]?...i usually only read the inside of books.....

ps...out of interest...the photographer of 'that' peregrine was a chappy called Baumann...and the design, from said photo, was accomplished by a Brian Price-Thomas...and a fine piece of work it is too!

pss....[all of which you will find out when you next reach for your copy]...!

:-O:-O Well There you go ! I think i may just pull it off the bookshelf tonight!

I already commented on it not too long ago on another thread but this is so good it deserves as much attention as it can possibly get! The skecthes are magnificent too, I often try to sketch my local swifts, I can do all the classic poses but it's those weir twisting in mid-air, wing-fluttery ones I find so difficult, and which you have just done with absolute ease!! Add that to the best sense of perspective in a painting I've yet seen on here and it is quite simply a brilliant collection!

Oh Andy - cut it out now, please!!?? Just toooooo good, man! Curlew is bristling with life (leave it, leave it) and the swifts are fecking gorgeous - drawings and colourwrk.

LOve it all!

But those Swift sketches?

Man Alive!

That has made my day Andrew!

I think you must know by now that you are PRETTY SPECIAL!

Long may you continue to be so!

.QUOTE]

hello there- just back late from some travels and having a browse: hopefully NONE of us on here have the more recent edition with the other cover..

Attachments

• 1590171330.jpg
    1590171330.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 73
LOve it all!

But those Swift sketches?

Man Alive!

That has made my day Andrew!

I think you must know by now that you are PRETTY SPECIAL!

Long may you continue to be so!

:-O:-O Some of my other mates have called me SPECIAL ... Although maybe not in the same way Phil !!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back