• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (2 Viewers)

Alpine Accentors seem to be in on the high bits. 2 at Castel Alaro, one at Puig de Teix and one at San Salvador, Felanitx.
The mountains are covered in snow with a very cold wind.
More Fieldfare being seen, Hawfinch and Siskin numbers still high and over 40 Common cranes at Albufera this morning.
On a brief seawatch this morning I saw one Dolphin breaching close in which was nice and a few Gannet.
Mike

Four Alpine Accentors near the top of Puig Major found by Neville. Rather him than me, it must be mighty cold up there. Still, he is from Wales and described our winter here as “tropical”. Made me laugh, it’s freezing. Mike

Hi guys, I'll be arriving in Mallorca on Tuesday and have a few target birds. Is there anywhere I should try for Western Swamphen (Albufera?), Balearic Warbler, Moustached Warbler and Shearwaters?

Any help would be very much appreciated!!!

Hi. Like the previous post I have two days in Mallorca coming up in just over a week staying in Palma. Probably won't have a car and certainly won't be able to spend the whole time birding. Is Balearic Warbler even a possibility given these limitations and the time of year? If so some advice please. Thanks! :t:

Gregor, yes, S'Albufera for Swamphen & Moustached Warbler; north end of the Boquer Valley for Balearic Warbler. Hopefully Mike or someone else will come up with the best sea-watching spots (I saw Balearic & Scopoli's Shearwater from a RIB off Sa Dragonera).

Thanks Pete, beat me to it. Yes, you are quite right. Purple swamp hen is not a problem, there are lots and they often feed out in the open. Moustached Warbler are another story. There are high numbers but seeing them is not so easy. I always seem to see them near bridges so it’s worth waiting around those areas and they will eventually show. I only saw one last trip. They often flit from one side of the channel to the other so looking down the channels is also a good idea.
Balearic warblers are best seen right down the Boquer Valley one the right hand side near the end, always in the low scrub.
I don’t know anywhere near Palma to see them though. If you can get to any coastal scrub from there, you may be lucky. They are not rare and can be seen all around the Island. They are skulkers, that’s the problem so best to look low.
Seawatching is always best from the east coast, Porto Colom, Punta de n’amer etc but Formentor is also ok. A walk along the front at Palma is great but not for Shearwaters. Lots of Sandwich terns, Turnstones and possible Mediterranean Gull and Lesser-Black backed Gull.
Good luck to both of you and do let us know what you see.
Mike

A cold morning yesterday at S'Albufera (not much warmer this morning) with a good number of wintering birds, mainly waterfowl and lapwings for now. Little in way of waders. Cranes are still around in good numbers (8 yesterday).
Below a sample of the birds in Cibollar.

Attachments

• _O3I3692.jpg
    _O3I3692.jpg
    567.4 KB · Views: 78
  • _D1_4938.jpg
    _D1_4938.jpg
    692.9 KB · Views: 63
  • _D1_4931.jpg
    _D1_4931.jpg
    859.8 KB · Views: 57
Standing at the end of my road near Mondrago just before dark, firstly a Blackbird chacked away, then the Stone Curlews screeched loudly, a Woodcock flew past followed by two Scops owls calling monotonously. A nice way to end a difficult day.
Kevin, I am meeting Neville in the morning at the salt pans, Ses Salines if you are around. The track is flooded so wellies are essential. Mike

Standing at the end of my road near Mondrago just before dark, firstly a Blackbird chacked away, then the Stone Curlews screeched loudly, a Woodcock flew past followed by two Scops owls calling monotonously. A nice way to end a difficult day.
Kevin, I am meeting Neville in the morning at the salt pans, Ses Salines if you are around. The track is flooded so wellies are essential. Mike

Hi Mike, I’ve got builders in tomorrow but if they come early enough I’ll leave them to it and come and join you. It’ll be nice to catch up.

A great morning at Salobrar de Campos salt pans this morning with Neville and later joined by Kevin.
A group of 45 Common Crane in a deep blue sky was unforgettable.
Two Spoonbills were nice, a few Dunlin, Little stint, very low numbers of Flamingoes is unusual for this time of the year but they still looked great, especially in flight.
At least four Great White egrets, Curlew, Snipe and Water Rail were nice fillers whilst we were waiting for the Cranes to take flight once more.
Lots of Marsh Harrier, Red Kite and four Booted eagles.
A Pintail was also present, Reed buntings and Fan-tailed warblers completed the day’s list.
Mike

Great afternoon at Son Real - finally caught up with Hawfinch (my bogey bird) at the drinking pool in front of the hide. On my previous visits I was always disappointed, but this was a wonderful day with lots of activity. Also there - Goldfinch, Crossbill, Greenfinch, Great Tit, Song Thrush, Chiff-chaff, Robin. Went to Amarador just before sunset, still no Jack Snipe, but was rewarded with a Hen Harrier (female) and a Merlin.

Attachments

• Crossbill_8599.jpg
    Crossbill_8599.jpg
    566.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Hawfinch_8586.jpg
    Hawfinch_8586.jpg
    469.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Hawfinch_8620.jpg
    Hawfinch_8620.jpg
    534.1 KB · Views: 49
Hi Clive. Some great birds there. Glad you got your bogey bird at last, mine is still Ring Ouzel.
Lovely photos as usual.
Pep said that the Jack Snipe were at the “dog house” so they are not at the tower hide.
I think this is a different area. Near the entrance you take the left fork I think, and there are some houses there. Perhaps Pep can confirm.
I saw one Jack Snipe going to roost last year whilst waiting for the Starlings. Hen Harrier is a nice bird to see.
We will meet up soon, I am back to the uk next week but then I have some time.
Ps. Did you see Dunnock at Son Real, I still need it for the year?
Mike

Just as an aside Clive, how do you download your photos onto Birdforum? When I try, it always says that they are over-size. Any advice? Thanks. Mike

Hi Mike
I have to resize them on my laptop before I can upload them. It's quite easy to do. I right click on an image, select Open (or Open with) and select Microsoft Office 2010. You then have a panel on the right where you can do basic editing (crop, brightness, contrast, colour balance, saturation and size). I usually select large document and then rename the with something appropriate with small or web at the end.
I'm sure there are lots of other ways but I hope this helps .
Martin

I sadly had the frustration of a tyre blowout on my way to Albufera today, just ten minutes' drive away! Some compensation came in the form of a Wryneck (not sure how rare they are at this time of year?) near Port d'Alcudia. I'll hopefully make it back over there on Saturday!

Hi Mike, I see Martin has answered your photo question. thanks Martin. I didn't see Dunnock at Son Real. I was there again yesterday, but only for an hour and didn't see Hawfinch either. And yesterday I met Kevin at the depuradora, he also told me the location of the Jack Snipe. I am also back to the UK next week, so maybe we will finally meet up next time. Clive.

Highlight (for me!) at Albufera this morning was six Western Swamphens. Also a good number of waders, including Littlw Stints, Dunlin, Common Snipe, Redshank and two Curlew Sandpipers. On top of that, a Black-necked Grebe, a Water Pipit, loads of ducks (especially Shoveler, Teal and Wigeon) and lots of thrushes, including several Fieldfare and a Redwing (first ebird record at the reserve!). No sign of the Wryneck today.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back