• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotted Nutcracker behaviour (1 Viewer)

Korpen

Friends

I have four Spotted Nutcrackers (N. c. macrorhynchos?) displaying at my feeder ( 65º 20.263' N 21º 31.109' E ) and now they are documented on video.
You can se the videos at http://www.cornix.se/nucifraga/

Please comment, because I have never seen it before.

Peter

That is great work! really nice footage of one of my favourite species.
Nutcrackers are fairly sociable and younger birds and adults display to females within their group. At this time of the year they are looking for mates, though I dont know if they mate for life I suspect they might. This could be a young male trying to woo a female??
I have seen a variation of this display in a spruce tree at the same time of year once. Perhaps someone out there can provide more detailed explanation. I am just happy to see the footage! I do love that tail pattern!
Thanx!

Very interesting, hear that call, but never seen that 'dance' - a good insight into the secret lives of Nutcrackers!

Interesting, do you get Nutcrackers at your feeders every year? If so, when do they usually arrive at the feeders, autumn or in winter proper? I have a well-stocked feeder here, attracting in five species of woodpecker, etc, but never get the Nutcrackers down (despite the birds being common in the area, especially in autumn, when they are often around the feeding station area, but still never at the actual feeders). What food are they most attracted by there ( I see sunfower and seed in your pictures)? At present, I am placing apples, as well as sunflowers, peanuts and fat balls.

buzzard12 said:
I have seen a variation of this display in a spruce tree at the same time of year once.
Thanx!

Buzzard12

The link to the "Display Song" is recorded when one bird was displaying in the Willow. It was spreading the tailfeathers, wagging and giving that clucking and piping sound.

Jos Stratford said:
Very interesting, hear that call, but never seen that 'dance' - a good insight into the secret lives of Nutcrackers!

Interesting, do you get Nutcrackers at your feeders every year? If so, when do they usually arrive at the feeders, autumn or in winter proper? I have a well-stocked feeder here, attracting in five species of woodpecker, etc, but never get the Nutcrackers down (despite the birds being common in the area, especially in autumn, when they are often around the feeding station area, but still never at the actual feeders). What food are they most attracted by there ( I see sunfower and seed in your pictures)? At present, I am placing apples, as well as sunflowers, peanuts and fat balls.

Jos

The Nutcrackers comes to my feeder when I start to fill it up. They feed on everything: plucking hempseed byhempseed, sunflowerseeds the same and they also take big bites from the margarine. But most of all they like the peanuts. I have ringed one bird with the craw? full of pine kernels and the the bird had blocked the cavity by putting the tip of the tongue down the throat.

Do they ever hang on nut feeders or just feed from the ground (all my Jays are eually happy to hang on the feeders). I guess it's just a question of time ...planning to add increased variety of foods from early September next year - that's when they are moving round a lot out here ...get them every day close to the feeder then, later in winter they occur just sporadically (disperce into the vast forests beyond my land)

Jos Stratford said:
Do they ever hang on nut feeders or just feed from the ground (all my Jays are eually happy to hang on the feeders). I guess it's just a question of time ...planning to add increased variety of foods from early September next year - that's when they are moving round a lot out here ...get them every day close to the feeder then, later in winter they occur just sporadically (disperce into the vast forests beyond my land)

Yes - thay hang on almost every type of feeder.
http://www.communique.se/medit/aves/national/nuccar.htm

Sorry, one other question? Do you ever get Black Woodpeckers onto the feeders? Here, get the three spotted 'peckers, plus Grey-headed, on the feeders each day and Black is often tempted in. It seems however that it seeks out found stored by other species - it appears attracted tot he feeding area, but does not use the actual feeders themselves.

Jos Stratford said:
Sorry, one other question? Do you ever get Black Woodpeckers onto the feeders? Here, get the three spotted 'peckers, plus Grey-headed, on the feeders each day and Black is often tempted in. It seems however that it seeks out found stored by other species - it appears attracted tot he feeding area, but does not use the actual feeders themselves.

Jos

I have never had the Black on my feeder.

Korpen said:
Friends

I have four Spotted Nutcrackers (N. c. macrorhynchos?) displaying at my feeder ( 65º 20.263' N 21º 31.109' E ) and now they are documented on video.
You can se the videos at http://www.cornix.se/nucifraga/

Please comment, because I have never seen it before.

N, I've never seen it before either, but it looks fantastic. The display is described in BWP as an antagonistic display 'the bird becomes pear-shaped' and also again as a courtship display. Looks like courtship to me!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back