• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (3 Viewers)

Tonight not much change - East Scrape 4 Dunlin, 3 Redshank and 2 Ringed Plover. 4 further Ringed Plover on JW & a LRP. 28 Little Egret in the riverside roost including a group of 10 that came in together from the North end of Dosthill NR.

There was a Hobby over Dosthill NR this afternoon and a small increase in wader activity on Jubilee Wetlands with 3 Common Sandpipers - 2 on the West Scrape and 1 on Jubilee North near the 2 benches - and 4 Dunlin out in the middle. There were 5 Ringed Plover (1 of which was a juv) and 2 LRP around with another 3 juv Plovers that were too far out to see if they were Ringed or LRP because of the heat haze.
Additionally 2 Egyptian Geese were on the island on Dosthill NR and a Black Swan was on Jubilee Wetlands.

All the best
Steve

It was fairly quiet this morning. 8 Dunlin that were feeding on JWs flew off south about 9:30. The Common Sandpiper with the white patch on it's left flank was on the river scrape. 1 ad and 2 juv LRP and 2 Ringed Plover were around. The only other thing of note was an apparent increase in Lapwing with a flock of 60+ on JWs.

BTW Geoff - coincidentally after our conversation re Lesser Whitethroat for this month, there was one this morning by the 2 benches on Jubilee north as well as the one on the 6th.

It was fairly quiet this morning. 8 Dunlin that were feeding on JWs flew off south about 9:30. The Common Sandpiper with the white patch on it's left flank was on the river scrape. 1 ad and 2 juv LRP and 2 Ringed Plover were around. The only other thing of note was an apparent increase in Lapwing with a flock of 60+ on JWs.

BTW Geoff - coincidentally after our conversation re Lesser Whitethroat for this month, there was one this morning by the 2 benches on Jubilee north as well as the one on the 6th.
The only other birds I can add are 2 Redshank JWs, 2 Green Sandpiper HL and a Garden Warbler between FMP and the canal.
Thanks for the info about the Lesser Whitethroat, other species not recorded so far this July as far as I know include Pochard, Goosander, Marsh Harrier, Peregrine, Barn Owl, Tawny Owl, Mistle Thrush, Willow Warbler, Treecreeper and Raven, can anyone add these to the list?

...... other species not recorded so far this July as far as I know include Pochard, Goosander, Marsh Harrier, Peregrine, Barn Owl, Tawny Owl, Mistle Thrush, Willow Warbler, Treecreeper and Raven, can anyone add these to the list?

Geoff

I've had both Barn and Tawny Owl in the last 2 weeks.

Water levels were high after the recent rain so not many waders seen, circa 300 Lapwing flew up off JWs and a Green Sandpiper was on the west scrape. 6 Raven flew over calling.
98 species were seen in July.

Juvenile Med Gull on West Scrape tonight at 8pm. I suppose the million dollar question is - did they or didn't they breed at Middleton this year. Perhaps the RSPB know more. Not much else about but then I had to take the wife instead of the scope.

13 Species of Wader at Upton Warren and also a good variety at Branston so why when I go to Middleton do I see NOTHING. Perhaps excessive vegetation, poor viewing (and I'm over 6 foot tall) and high water levels says it all. Enough moaning.

The only bird of interest was the return of the Mandarin (West Scrape)

Last Night - 11 Blackwits on JW, 2 Green Sand East Scrape + possibly 2 more calling but couldn't find them and 2 Common Sand on the water ski pool (Dosthill Lake).

Attachments

• Mand.jpg
    Mand.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 77
13 Species of Wader at Upton Warren and also a good variety at Branston so why when I go to Middleton do I see NOTHING. Perhaps excessive vegetation, poor viewing (and I'm over 6 foot tall) and high water levels says it all. Enough moaning.

The only bird of interest was the return of the Mandarin (West Scrape)

Last Night - 11 Blackwits on JW, 2 Green Sand East Scrape + possibly 2 more calling but couldn't find them and 2 Common Sand on the water ski pool (Dosthill Lake).
At least you got the Mandarin (152nd species of the year), I didn't see anything of interest. 2 Grey Partridge (southern meadow) on the 2/8 per DC was the 151st.
The best area of mud appears to be at the hall lake where 5 Green Sandpiper were yesterday.

Highlight this evening was Marsh Harrier (cream headed bird) hunting Fishers Mill reedbed before drifting up the East side across North Pit and then headed West. Also 5 Green Sandpiper plus 3 Redshank on East Scrape and 10 Snipe flying round JW.

A Wood Sandpiper was reported by the RSPB this morning whilst it was raining but I couldn't find it late morning when the rain had stopped. A Greenshank circled JWs for 5 minutes calling constantly but then flew to the south over Warwickshire. Not much more of note about other than a Green Sandpiper & a Redshank on the east scrape. A Barn Owl was reported quartering near the hide.

Highlight this evening was Marsh Harrier (cream headed bird) hunting Fishers Mill reedbed before drifting up the East side across North Pit and then headed West. Also 5 Green Sandpiper plus 3 Redshank on East Scrape and 10 Snipe flying round JW.

It / another female Marsh Harrier this evening as per Tiny Barter

The first Great White Egret for a while turned up on JW today. It spent most of the day in the middle of Jubilee Wetlands. Also 2 Green Sandpiper on the east scrape and one on Dosthill Lake. Also a Redshank on the east scrape.
Here's a picture of the GWE with a Heron for size comparison.

Attachments

• RSCN3425_1.JPG
    RSCN3425_1.JPG
    244.9 KB · Views: 59
Late visit tonight. Came in from the water ski centre at 8pm and first bird was a Barn Owl at the river bridge which hung around all night. Second bird was the Great White Egret which was checking out the riverside roost before returning to the centre of JW. On East scrape was a single Redshank and 3 Greens Sand. Great White joined at least 25 LE's in the roost at approx 9:10pm

Attachments

• GWE17b.jpg
    GWE17b.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 70
Just a quick reminder for all Middleton Lakes birders that the West Midlands Autumn All-Day Birdwatch is taking place on SATURDAY 2ND SEPTEMBER. With a host of sites across the region taking part - includes Belvide, Sandwell Valley, Upton Warren, Grimley, Earslwood, Marsh Lane, Ladywalk, Salford Priors, Venus Pool etc - it promises to be another good day.

Can anyone confirm whether they also saw what I believed to be a Marsh Harrier move through the reserve from south towards the North Pit at around 12pm today?

Other than this relatively quiet. Black Tailed Godwit still present on Jubilee, GWE had left I presume as a result of a work party.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back