• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

camera (1 Viewer)

rosharb

This is probably a stupid question but not knowing much about photography and interested in purchasing a new camera. Does anyone still use film cameras? I have two film cameras and several lens that were my inlaws and were given to my wife before they passed away. Should I sell this stuff and use the money to purchase a digital camera?

You have not said what make of cameras and lenses, the lenses may be useable with modern DSLRs, unfortunately film cameras do not fetch high prices these days. But a least modern DSLRs start at little more than £300 / $400

Almost certainly the advice given is 100% correct, however, very occasionally, specific makes or models of film cameras or lens still have a significant value (a very few are worth more second hand than when new). So please check before giving anything away. You can find out what things are going for on the Internet, but be ready to be dissapointed. Dealers will generally pay a lot less than current resale value.

A few people, myself included, do still use film cameras for some types of photography, as you can take advantage of their different qualities, however, I do not use film for bird photography as it is far easier, cheaper and less frustrating to use digital.

Last edited:
The AE1 was a nice camera and sold in high numbers - so is unlikely to attract a high price.
The T80, in contrast did not sell well when new, but despite its comparative rarity doesn't appear to be sought after. If you have the three lenses designed for it (AC Series with box like bulges) it may interest a collector as it was Canons first full auto focus camera, but I still don't think will make you much money.

This is a personal opinion and you need to do a bit of research to determine their current value, again check out each lens, sometimes the odd lens is considered collectable.

The AE1 is a manual focussing camera, and the T80 with the right lenses autofocussing but very slow.

As a beginner to photography, you will probably be better off going straight to a modern digital camera that will be far easier for you to learn, get you acceptable results far sooner and with far lower operating costs.

Hi,
I know nothing about film cameras but, as you're posting here aree to assume you want to photograph birds? If so, normally the keeper rate in bird photography isn't the greatest, so a film camera would be a disadvantage. I normally throw away a large percentage of bird shots when they're hopping about in hedges, so being able to shoot then have a look at what you got and delete if necessary is a huge plus.
You will get great shots from an entry level camera with a decent lens if you go digital.
If you're shooting landscapes etc then ignore my ramblings :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back