• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 8x42 Prominar XD vs 8x32 Europ. Alpha (1 Viewer)

Icaru5

Hi guys, I'm currently searching a small 8x32 binocular to carry when I go hiking. The most important things are so: sturdiness/reliability and
smallness/lightness

My searches led me to the Kowa 8x42 Prominar XD: magnesium frame, XD lenses and a 42mm with a size of a 32mm. All others binoculars with 42mm size in fact seem too big for my purpose, this Kowa seem the only 42mm that I could take with me.

So my question is: do these 42mm offer some kind of advantage over the european high-end and smaller 32mm or I just should save more penny and take a zeiss or swaro? What do you think?

Thank you;)

Last edited:
So my question is: do these 42mm offer some kind of advantage over the european high-end and smaller 32mm or I just should save more penny and take a zeiss or swaro?

No. Well... other than price. The XD's have surprised me at how good they are, but they will not provide the performance of a "european high-end and smaller 32mm". And between the two, I would much prefer the high-end 32mm, even if I had to spend a lot more for it.

BTW - you might also look at or through the Nikon 8x30 Monarch 7, if available where you live. These provide a very nice view in an extremely small and lightweight package. I don't remember the exact weight, but I doubt it weighs more than 450g. Also has objective covers that stay on quite tightly, so you are less likely to have them fall off unnoticed while hiking. Overall, a great little package for hiking for someone who might not want to spend alpha money.

No. Well... other than price. The XD's have surprised me at how good they are, but they will not provide the performance of a "european high-end and smaller 32mm". And between the two, I would much prefer the high-end 32mm, even if I had to spend a lot more for it.

BTW - you might also look at or through the Nikon 8x30 Monarch 7, if available where you live. These provide a very nice view in an extremely small and lightweight package. I don't remember the exact weight, but I doubt it weighs more than 450g. Also has objective covers that stay on quite tightly, so you are less likely to have them fall off unnoticed while hiking. Overall, a great little package for hiking for someone who might not want to spend alpha money.

Thank you, I will consider also the Monarch :)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back