• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd molt on HY Rufous Hummingbird (1 Viewer)

zoutedrop

zoutedrop
Getting a good and odd hummer shot is about 1 in 10,000. When it happens it is really gratifying.

Yesterday I caught a truly odd molt on a HYM Rufous Hummingbird.

The rectrix R2 is the definitive feather to distinguish this species from Allen's.

Attachments

• JV8A0898 RUHU HYM.jpg
    JV8A0898 RUHU HYM.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 54
  • JV8A1397 RUHU HYM.jpg
    JV8A1397 RUHU HYM.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 45
Opened the blinds at 7:45 this morning to the front yard Desert Willows. Expected to see the usual 3-4 Black-chinned at the 2 feeders instead I was greeted by 3 Ruby-throated, 1 Black-chinned, and 1 suspected female Rufous Hummingbird.

Couldn't get a conformation on the Rufous but for this area it's more than likely a Rufous not a Allen. All I got were two glimpses of the white, black, rufous tail. Wasn't able to zero in on the R2.

The suspected Rufous was the dominant bird. He took over the feeder, chasing off a Black-chinned, went to the Willow blooms chasing off the Ruby-throated who then went to the feeders. The Rufous made the rounds of the three trees and flew away.

I looked out my rear windows to the backyard, no Rufous but I found the rest of the Black-chinned fighting over the feeders.

The Rufous sighting lasted about 4 minutes, if that. I grabbed my camera, got a few crummy shots of the Ruby-throated, and sat at the window hoping the Rufous would come back. An hour later she was still a no-show, the Ruby-throated also took off.

Wrote previously about my first Rufous home sighting in Your Rarities sub of Your Birding Day. That bird showed up last year on the 16th of August. In the 11 years prior I never had a Rufous. I believe I owe it all to the Desert Willows. It worked out so nice I planted 3 more in the backyard all in the same hole....it's gonna have a wide foot print. Also planted 8 Flame Acanthus bushes; the Black-chinned love 'em.

Thanks for posting the shots of the R2. If the female comes around I'll need my binos to make the ID, my camera skills aren't up to your level.

Nice photos...!!

The last picture I posted was a male, not a female. R2 easily distinguishes adult male Rufous/Allen's. It gets a little dicey for females and first year males (before they start to molt). To distinguish Allen's from Rufous in this group involves the width of R5. For Rufous, first year females have a rounded R2. To separate moms from sons is a combination of R2 coloration and the gorget pattern. Catching these birds are time consuming, so get a beer and make yourself comfortable. Hope the attached tail matrix helps.

Attachments

• Rufous matrix 2.jpg
    Rufous matrix 2.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I sat at the window last night for the twilight feeder rush. Another Rufous(?) flew in but couldn't get past the Ruby-throated who have successfully taken over the real-estate. The Black-chinned are now gone. Last night's Rufous(?) sighting lasted 10-15 seconds.

Between your previous post and Sibley's, my dyslexia set in.

I don't have Rufous in numbers so any hope of getting a clear ID is wishful thinking. There were none at the feeders this morning.

Great info....thanks for the additional photos, appreciate it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back