• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Night visitor (1 Viewer)

gascar

Thanks
How do you go about finding things. I have a few books, but for me it comes down to searching front to back...

Attachments

• Moth-2883.jpg
    Moth-2883.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 34
That's often the way. Being able to recognize families helps reduce the number of possibilities and that is often based on shape, size, resting posture, etc., and experience. It also helps to be able to tell a macro from a micro, as they are often in different books. Attending public moth events can be helpful - or join a local moth group (or Facebook page - there are several devoted to moths).
I hope this helps.
Martin

Some web sites, eg. norfolkmoths and hantsmoths, have 'flying tonight' sections. Eliminates the non-starters and shows the commonest first, but still a lot at peak times of year.
Rose

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back