• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lothian Birding (1 Viewer)

After a disasterous attempt over the weekend to get on to The May this week, spirits were raised with news of Red-footed Falcon in LOTHIAN!!:t:

With some jaw dropping views from the viaduct yesterday evening, spirits were raised so it was off this morning to see the 3 Temminck's Stint's at Musselburgh, however wind speeds meant that this was only a day of twitching some good birds,as aposed to trying to find some good birds.

Ashamed to say I was in East Calder again today on an errand, but never bothered with second views of the Falcon, perhaps tommorow!

Off the rest of the week so keeping an eye on the weather, here's hoping.

Cheers Mark for the info,

Red Footed was a bogey lifer for me , I'm still glowing, super bird will keep me on a high for days la la la la lol

rik

A very quiet day today, though not totally unexpected it has to be said.

A quick look at Belhaven Bay and nearby Seafield Pond resulted in only a brood of Moorhen entering my notebook, a species that is one of mine in the Lothian Bird Report if anybody is wondering!

It was then a quick look at Dunbar Harbour for any Gulls present, then a walk along Dunbar golf Course to Broxmouth to look through more Gulls all the expected species.
Whilst walking back towards the car a Tree Pipit called a couple of times but all I could see was a nearby Skylark, so dipped on visuals of this species.

Next was a thorough check of Barns Ness starting at the wire dump, into the camp site, where I heard a Sylvia that I suspected was a Lesser Whitethroat but again it elluded me.
A sound bashing of the bushes south of the camp site saw no migrants at ALL:C
Still onwards it was, as a Dunbar mate of mine always tell's me the biggie travel's alone, so I hot footed it towards the gorse and scrub to the north of Skateraw, were I caught up with a single Wheatear.

I then headed north along the beach back to the car were I done a seawatch for fifteen minutes before heading for home, 2 Manxie's heading north was all I had.

Rain forcast for tonight and tommorrow so I have it all to to do again and more tommorrow.

good birding:t:

Well what a difference a day makes, or more precisely, what a difference some rain makes!

I started off a Barns Ness again with no joy, although a couple of mates said they had yesterday's Lesser Whitethroat in the campsite again but nothing else.
Not one to give up easily I said my farewell's and set off toward Skateraw as I had done yesterday.
With nothing to show for my efforts I decided I decided to head up the Dean that the Dry burn runs through, almost immediately I saw two Spotted Flycatcher's, excellent clearly this indicated that something had happened!

I then got back to the car to find one of the aforementioned lads had heard and glimpsed an unstreaked Acro at the wire dump, a brief search resulted in a no show.

With a R B Fly or Collared Fly in mind I decided to check the East Barns area, particularly as it has better looking tree's that the other sites, a more Flycatcher friendly feel to it I think.
My suspicions were right, however it was with at least two and probably three Spotted Flycatcher's, not quite what I had in mind.

Whilst there I received a text from another couple of mates to say they had a singing Icterine Warbler at Thorntonloch, and that also they heard of a male Red-backed Shrike at Whitesands.
Whilst at the Icky another Spot Fly showed for a couple of the lads, however I was engrossed with the singing Icky, a first for me(a singing one that is).

Next was along to Torness, dodging the coppers as they went past we found a Garden Warbler and a Whitethroat.
We twitched the RB Shrike at Whitesands with no problems only to hear that a Marsh Warbler was seen in the wire dump at nearby Barns Ness via Birdguides.
Four of the lads had very brief views as it crossed over the track between the wire dump and new quarry boundary, but was soon lost to view, at that point the weather closed in with visibility down to a hundred yards or so in the mist and a strong breeze picking up, so it was off home to recuperate and get an early night before staring all over again tomorrow.:t:

Last edited:
Twelve and a half hours in the field resulted in Marsh Warbler,Whinchat,2 Spot Fly's and either 39 or 49 Canada Geese, cant remember precise no.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh me feeet!!

Coastal bush bashing today resulted in a total of, female Red-backed Shrike, 3 Spot Fly's, Lesser Whitethroat, Sedge Warbler as well as two sore feet again.

After four solid days I am now praying for westerlies;)

Manage to twitch the KP at Aberlady today, kicking myself as I thought about doing the waders there today too, but just sat at Kilspindie instead:eek!:

The weeks total was

RF Falcon
Kentish Plover
Red-backed Shrike x 2
Icterine Warbler
Marsh Warbler
Little Gull x 2

not a bad week as Lothian standards go, but its all downhill tomorrow as its back to work!

Does anyone else who looks at this thread go birding in Lothian as it's getting a bit lonely on here!

Last edited:
Hi Cal

Just back from Italy and managed a very brief view of the RFF yesterday evening in the pouring rain. Went back again this morning in slightly better weather but as it was still cold and early (pre-work) there was no sign at all. Hopefully it' still there and I might get chance either later on today (KP permitting) or tomorrow.

Out at the w/e

MDH

Falcon showing really well from the viaduct between 11.30 and 13.00 today.

Also there a grunting female Goosander, possibly nesting nearby, still a relatively uncommon breeding species in Lothian. A Great Spotted Woodpecker flew, almost literally, under the noses of the birders watching the Falcon at one point,

David

Manage to twitch the KP at Aberlady today, kicking myself as I thought about doing the waders there today too, but just sat at Kilspindie instead:eek!:

The weeks total was

RF Falcon
Kentish Plover
Red-backed Shrike x 2
Icterine Warbler
Marsh Warbler
Little Gull x 2

QUOTE]

Not a bad haul for a lot of hard work. After bumping into you on Friday I had 2flyover crossbills near Broxmouth

On Saturday went up to Faseny after a visit to Mike McDowall's farm-a single ring ouzel singing from a fence post, a pair of common sandpipers presumably with young as alarm calling, then 4 more further down the burn. 10 stonechat with 2 family groups and the other usual suspects. A beautiful hot day too, only spoiled by a friends car being broken into, tyre let down and scope stolen up at the roadside

I was working in Eyemouth today and stopped at Woodhall Dean on the way back. Wasn't expecting much as we are now into June and I didn't expect much song to help locate birds. First surprise was a lesser whitethroat in full voice at the car park. The bird flew across to the fence over the stream and sat singing in full view for 10 seconds! On into the Dean and the air was humid and pungent with the smell of wild garlic. To my surprise I heard 2 redstarts singing, one only very intermittently. I wasn't too hopeful of views given the dense oak canopy but one bird was moving in a circuit ending up in an open piece of woodland and I got great views. Also saw a jay, cuckoo and treecreeper

Attachments

• Redstart.jpg
    Redstart.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 313
Blimey a bit of arse kicking and I get three responses;)

Mike I think you need to change the Overingham birder bit to Penicuik Birder perhaps and lose the St Georges cross, hope you managed the KP tonight, but I will be very surprised if you did knowing what you were up against in the vast desert of Aberlady Bay;)

Dave good to hear from you I don't do Musselburgh much these days so our paths haven't crossed for a while and Mark, don't give up the ghost just yet, especially with the wind still in the east, I had two RbB Shrikes on 17th June last year as well as seeing a probable Marsh Warb as late as 23rd June.

Early June is the best time for Lothian, so I am off down the coast tomorrow after work:t:

May the force be with you..........force 4 south easterly with precipitation that is:t:

Close on 3 hours tonight doing my Barns Ness-Skateraw circuit resulted in no migrants except Skateraw's usual breeding Whitethroat's

Still if youv'e not bought a ticket, you wont win the lottery!

where exactly is the rrf,i must have walked all over that bloody park,back and forth.....got lost trying to find the park...but got there after an hours walk from kirknewton train station,is she still there.......

where exactly is the rrf,i must have walked all over that bloody park,back and forth.....got lost trying to find the park...but got there after an hours walk from kirknewton train station,is she still there.......

Go to East Calder, and park in the South Car Park. Walk out of the car park to the road and turn right. Walk along the road until you reach a gap in the wall on your right. (I think it's near a primary school, I could certainly hear screaming bairns). Take the path from the gap to the viaduct which is where the Falcon was on Monday when I was there.

David

Go to East Calder, and park in the South Car Park. Walk out of the car park to the road and turn right. Walk along the road until you reach a gap in the wall on your right. (I think it's near a primary school, I could certainly hear screaming bairns). Take the path from the gap to the viaduct which is where the Falcon was on Monday when I was there.

David

Davd's instructions are correct. If you wish it on a map go to Google maps and put in Almond grove, East Calder. The path to the viaduct is immediately adjacent to this road. The viaduct is about 400m along this path

Last edited:
looked at the map,now know where it was,..........up all the steep stairs,was up there ,under the viaduct to walked past the water treatment place ,back under the viaduct back to the stone bridge over the river took a long walk the other way,.....lets hope she stays till next monday for my next day off.......cheers again

Lazy day today, went to Skateraw and Barns Ness then had a kip!
Went to Tyninghame and had a kip!

Birds seen between kips were Little Gull and 14 Crossbill.

Off now for a kip!

Musselburgh 9/6/08

2 Shoveler on the scrapes, and eclipse male and a female.

6 Goosander but only one with a brood of 8 young.

6 Knot on the Scrape at low tide.

The scrapes have been drained, apart from the westernmost one. Apparently they will be refilled tomorrow.

David

Lowrie's Den-it's the piece of woodland adjacent to the B road to the west of Penicuik linking the A766 and A702, more or less opposite Penicuik House

Managed to get up there last week thanks mark Redstart and Wood Warbler found ;-)

ta rik

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back