• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

British version of the Theron Saker (1 Viewer)

FrankD

I just found a thread over on opticstalk about the Helios Fieldmaster ED 60 mm spotting scope. After looking at the picture on the link I noticed it is a deadringer for the Theron Optics Saker 60 mm spotting scope that has been reviewed here on birdforum. It would now seem that you folks on the other side of the pond have access to an excellent, and inexpensive, ED spotting scope. I would be eager to hear if any of you have the chance to look at it or purchase one.

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/Helios/spotting-scope/dual-speed/fieldmasterED60DS.html

Attachments

• HeliosFieldmasterED60DS-261-1.jpg
    HeliosFieldmasterED60DS-261-1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 221
  • tn_480_0562270589f24ee4939d0b4dbf40c6ba_jpg.jpg
    tn_480_0562270589f24ee4939d0b4dbf40c6ba_jpg.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 317
Frank your a gem )

Did you ever chk if the baader hyperion zoom will fit it? I notice the zoom has a screw collar like the synta scopes...

Specification

Magnification: 15-45

Objectiv lens diam: 60mm

Case: action type - stay-on

Optical Coatings: fully multi coating

Waterproof: yes (fully waterproofed and nitrogen purged).

Weight: 3.7kg that has to be wrong??

Frank your a gem )

Did you ever chk if the baader hyperion zoom will fit it? I notice the zoom has a screw collar like the synta scopes...

Specification

Magnification: 15-45

Objectiv lens diam: 60mm

Case: action type - stay-on

Optical Coatings: fully multi coating

Waterproof: yes (fully waterproofed and nitrogen purged).

Weight: 3.7kg that has to be wrong??

That is probably 3.7 lbs...

Wow Frank that is a dead ringer for the Theron scope.:t:

I did weigh the Saker 60 mm scope with with stay on cover and it was about 2.8 lbs. I do remember the Nikon 60
Fieldscope and Saker weighed the same. They list the weight online in the US as 40 oz.

Last edited:
Stephen,

Me mum used to call me a gem when I was a wee-little one...

...but nobody has since then. ;)

To answer your question, no, I never tried the Baader on the Saker. I did not have both at the same time. I do believe that the folks at Theron are checking into that issue though...as well as several other astro eyepieces. A fixed-mag selection of eyepieces may be "in the works" but don't quote me on that.

Steve,

Yes, I do remember the Saker as being a relatively lightweight scope for a 60 mm...in the range of the Pentax 65 IIRC.

It is nice to see that others are as impressed with the scope as we have been.

;)

Frank, Yea, it makes you feel good when someone else agrees with what you have posted. I think we are the yin but not quite the yang or a curmudgeon on these matters.;)

Stephen,

I did hear from Pat. I didn't get to exchange info for very long but he did relate that they are focusing on providing fixed power eyepieces at the moment for the Saker. It appears that reaching focus at infinity with many of the astro eyepieces is an issue. In other words there aren't many astro eyepieces that will reach focus at infinity with the Saker so it may be a waste of time to provide an astro adapter that will work. That is the reason they are focusing on providing a series of fixed power eyepieces that do work and that will provide similar optical performance to many of the reasonably priced, good performance astro eyepieces out there. Maybe something with a 60 degree field of view, low CA levels and good edge performance.

Last edited:
Frank...What kind of mount or bayonet does the Saker have..?..Does it have external threads?...I am looking for a lightweight angled scope,and the price of this scope is very tempting....
On the other hands 3.7 pounds is pretty hefty for such a small scope,isn´t it?..the ZEN ED82 weights just 5 or six ounces more....

Last edited:
I do not have the scope in my possession at the moment. From what I remember it has external threads. The reason I remember is because I also had a Celestron astro adapter that fit the external screws and allowed astro eyepieces to be mounted to the scope. I sent that adapter to Predator Optics so that they could experiement with it and various astro eyepieces.

I do believe the listed weight for the scope is incorrect. It was comparable in weight to the Pentax 65 ED...around 40 ounces. Mooreorless weighed the scope and posted the info in one of the Saker threads. I believe he came up with roughly the same number.

Frank the Saker Theron 60mm and Nikon 60mm Fieldscope both weighed in at 48oz with their stay on case. I weighed them on a postal scale at work. I should of weighed them with cover off.

Stephen,

It came with a little Celestron 50 mm reflector I picked up last spring. The scope, with adapter and zoom eyepiece was only like $70.

Steve,

Thanks for the correction. Maybe the cover weighed 8 oz? :)

Helios Fieldmaster 60ED

Hi Frank et al, I was just searching the forums to see if anyone had any experience with the Helios Fieldmaster 60ED and came across this thread. The weight given on the Sherwood optics site is 1130g (39 ounces) (http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/helios_spotting_scope/helios_spotter_fs.htm). I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried the scope - the price (and package: scope + eyepiece + SOC + bench tripod) is superb, lol.
thanks
Hobbes

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back