• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Curlew sp. at Minsmere (3 Viewers)

cheers Doc Turner

can't get this out of my head at the moment: It was in a mail from Lee and may have been quoted earlier but here it is for any newcomers

One very interesting Email I received was from Russian ornithologist Valery Moseykin. I had asked him about the authenticity of 27 recently claimed SBC's in the Ukraine. His reply was such (translated into English).

''I participated in the Russian programme to search for the Slender-billed Curlew and agree fully with the opinions of Professors Tomkovich, Morozov & Koblik that it is necessary to ensure the correct identification of the species. The main problems here are separation from N.arquata orientalis (Eastern Curlew) and N.p.alboaxillaris (Steppe Whimbrel).

It is my opinion that SBC no longer exists as a species but just as a hybrid - between the two steppe species I mention above. In 2001, in steppe surrounding an oasis in the Kazakhstan desert we found a mixed colony of nesting curlews (orientalis & alboaxillaris) and we found that some individuals were actually INDISTINGUISHABLE in the field from what were previously described as Slender-billed Curlews (and I must remind you that Russian ornithologist Zarudny described a mixed nesting pair of Slender-billed Curlew and Eastern Curlew). Russian collector Ushakov was unique in that he reportedly found the nests of Slender-billed Curlew. He apparently took away eggs and shot adult birds. However, he later acknowledged the presence of orientalis in the area and examination of much data, specimens and eggs from this era appear to indicate that mistakes were made''

So if we discount Ushakov's seemingly dodgy record there are actually more records of the mentioned hybrids breeding than actual 'pure' SBC. Strange indeed.

Last edited:
The excellent new photos at ww.magikbirds.com have convinced me that the bird is a Eurasian Curlew (and hence presumably a first winter male). Pity, I was looking forward to setting a twitching record...I'll just have to console myself with trapping a few Arctic and Dusky Warblers.

I would add that this has been an excellent thread which has saved me a lot of money - I will definately be viewing more often.

Mike

Right before everyone jumps on my case I'm not saying SBC never existed...

BUT... there is a previous of example of a very rare and little known wader.. known only from its wintering grounds..... that eventually turned out to be a hybrid... Not being wholly up to date with Cox's Sandpiper records....do they have a different migration route to their parents?

The issue of the photographs is the most important thing of all.

It seems to me that Dick Newell's pics, because of the quality and the size, have been considered that this is what the bird looks like and from that the bird is now a clear cut EC. But the bird in the field doesn't look like Dick Newell's pics!!! If it did then nobody would have even flinched at this bird. There would have been no debate and no controversy. In actual fact, despite being of a high quality, these pics are crap. The Minsmere bird looks nothing like this!

The number of people that were happy with this bird in the field, but in light of these new pictures have changed their minds, should remember what they were thinking whilst watching this bird in the field.

I know this is harsh, but in my experience the 'two bird theory' is often a cover the 'one cock-up' reality. I know, I've done it myself!
John

Correction
I know this is harsh, but in my experience the 'two bird theory' is often a cover for the 'one cock-up' reality. I know, I've done it myself!
John

Hi John,

I think you misunderstood me. It is the bird, but the photos (Dick Newell's anyway) are crap and I swear they don't show it properly. I've seen it twice for a total of about 6 hours and none of those pics are an accurate representation of the bird I saw.

good points Tom and John

I know i have banged on in the past about the primacy of field notes and i think a few of the folks who've taken up birding more recently might have thought me a bit of a nutter but here is the perfect example....and don't think other species and individuals are that different.......

however, in the field it looked much more like a Curlew to me...and my field notes record that as well. It made me realise too just how quickly the vast mass of birders will jump behind 'current opinion' coming from the 'top' of the birding world. I recently discovered Chris Heard has been a long time dissenter of the Druridge record too (with a few others!), although lets not open that can of worms just yet.

I totally agree, Tim. For example one, now (in)famous, video grab of the Druridge bird showed it to be actually bigger than the accompanying Curlew, however the whole video footage shows that this is some bizarre optical illusion in a few frames.

Whilst the pics can be used to analyse the state of moult and detailed discussions on plumage they should never be used to give an overall feel for a bird.

And, just for the record, Chris Heard didn't see the Druridge bird...

tom mckinney said:
For example one, now (in)famous, video grab of the Druridge bird showed it to be actually bigger than the accompanying Curlew, however the whole video footage shows that this is some bizarre optical illusion in a few frames.

There's a known optical illusion with telephoto lenses that 'enlarges' distant objects more than the focussed subject. Some discussion on the topic was aired in BB around 1989.

Andy.

Andrew Rowlands said:
There's a known optical illusion with telephoto lenses that 'enlarges' distant objects more than the focussed subject. Some discussion on the topic was aired in BB around 1989.

Andy.

Hi Andrew,

I've read something about this in a back issue of BB by Peter Grant - is that what you are referring to? Must dig it out...

If, for some/most digi-scoping setups, you have to use the zoom on your camera to get rid of vignetting, surely this will instantly distort the natural proportions within an image?

Tom

Last edited:
yes Tommo

it was in the new aproach to ID series around late 80s

think it was Birding World though not BB

Yes, it was in Vol 2 of Brding World.....part of the NewApproach to Bird Identification Series.....No xx Size

there may have been fuller article on this though in BB...can't remember without checking....and footy is on soon

Last edited:
Hi Tom,
tom mckinney said:
Hi Andrew,

I've read something about this in a back issue of BB by Peter Grant - is that what you are referring to? Must dig it out...

If, for some/most digi-scoping setups, you have to use the zoom on your camera to get rid of vignetting, surely this will instantly distort the natural proportios within an image?

Tom
If you have no luck in finding the reference, I have a limited supply of old BB's, and one of them is that article by Peter Grant. Think it was from 1983? Very interesting, and shows that it is not a sign of my ineptitude that I sometimes completely misjudge the size of a lone or distant bird!
Harry

they're jus' keepin the punters happy boys

I know from friends who run the RBA pagers just down the road from me that they do have to keep all sorts of folks happy; you wouldn't believe (well Tom and Trev you would being well-balanced individuals!) some of the things people get upset about re pager messages......

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back