• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

And The Winner Is !! (2 Viewers)

All,

Thanks for the feedback. We created that thread so all members can have fun while winning some great prizes. We certainly didn't anticipate the tension that may arise because of this. I think all of us agree that we need strike a good balance so it's fair to everyone. Therefore, I proposed the following changes

1) We suggest members limit their post to one reply per day. I don't have a way to police this. But consider this as doing a favor for me!

2) We will honor the rules on random drawing of The VISTA binoculars and 2 PRIME HD as set in my initial post. However, to give all participating members a better chance to win, we will offer another pair of PRIME HD. For this pair, each member will have one vote only no matter how many posts he or she may have.

Thank you.

Charles

Hey things in life rarely go as one imagines. I think the intent was honorable. I'm open myself to any game changes even at this late date. I personally love the idea of one vote per person for the 12 pair and then one more chance at the grand prize. One win only for the 12 pair and then a chance at the grand prize. Some lucky person could possibly win two pair but not more.

After 405 posts in 12 days and I'd say you need to get away from the PC!

Say what ever you like. I'm retired and spend hours at my PC per day. I have over 60,000 posts in 6 years at a philosophy, psychology, and sociology forum I belong to. Twice a day I take my dogs and bins out for one to three hours in the field hiking and bird watching. Then I putter around for the rest of the day doing some light reading or watching a movie. That's my life. Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful. :gh:

Just a suggestion. How about do the draw for the next prize asap, lock that thread and run the rest of the competition under the new rules?

Who said life is fair! If folk want to spend all day madly posting for a chance to win something then that's their prerogative.

That is somehow marks the end of the world as we know it is ludicrous.

I agree basically. I can also understand how it makes the more conservative poster feel. They feel to have a decent and fair chance they have to make posts each day.

The whole thing backfired. I say start over with new rules and everyone wins. If not there is going to be some sour grapes.

When I saw the rules of the competition, I briefly thought about writing a computer program to make automated posts. But then decided that was really going too far. I thought it a bit "off" that others would have hundreds times the probability of winning that I would, but appreciate that I have an equal chance for the new binos.

one of the first things I suggested on that thread was that the contest be changed to one vote per member as that would prevent exactly what has happened an yet we would still have an exciting contest. No one was listening. But that's how it goes. Remember the big shopping spree at xmas where some lady used pepper spray on the competition. Humans are a crazy animal.

Now excuse me while I get back to that thread and try and win those bins.3:)

It's too bad a nice idea may implode. I think it might help to remember that the intentions were good but it might not have been well thought through.

Well If one is not attached to this then it doesn't matter what the others are doing. If it's set up in an unskillful way and it turns out to be problematic then the next time hopefully the site managers will have learned that lesson and not let it go this way again. In the mean time this is how the contest is. If I don't like it I can just stay away or play it like you in a way that feels good personally. Or not. It's all the same in the end. Eventually this is all likely to settle down. Right now I'm posting a lot but in a short time like you I'm going to just drop a one liner in a few times a day and be done with it. Once I haven't won for awhile.;)

I think a limit of one of the main prizes is right on. Then you are in the drawing for the Grand prizes but only one vote per person on those. Everyone has an equal chance at the grand prize.

Hey things in life rarely go as one imagines. I think the intent was honorable. I'm open myself to any game changes even at this late date. I personally love the idea of one vote per person for the 12 pair and then one more chance at the grand prize. One win only for the 12 pair and then a chance at the grand prize. Some lucky person could possibly win two pair but not more.

You just need to quit drinking so much B :)

Say what ever you like. I'm retired and spend hours at my PC per day. I have over 60,000 posts in 6 years at a philosophy, psychology, and sociology forum I belong to. Twice a day I take my dogs and bins out for one to three hours in the field hiking and bird watching. Then I putter around for the rest of the day doing some light reading or watching a movie. That's my life. Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful. :gh:

I agree basically. I can also understand how it makes the more conservative poster feel. They feel to have a decent and fair chance they have to make posts each day.

The whole thing backfired. I say start over with new rules and everyone wins. If not there is going to be some sour grapes.

Do you get anything for spamming this thread too?;)

Last edited:
Frank:

Why should we clutter up such a nice forum with something like this contest ?

Birdforum "has been a well run forum", but with this type of thing, I predict this thread will be soon coming to an end.

Jerry

Jerry,

On this we certainly are in agreement. The nature of the giveaway thread is definitely not in accordance with the usual atmosphere of the forum.

I am glad Charles stepped in and clarified further rules to tame things down a bit....and it was sure nice of him to throw another Prime HD into the mix. I actually hope you win it Jerry. I would sincerely like to hear your opinion of it in comparison to the two excellent bins that you use regularly.

All,

Thanks for the feedback. We created that thread so all members can have fun while winning some great prizes. We certainly didn't anticipate the tension that may arise because of this. I think all of us agree that we need strike a good balance so it's fair to everyone. Therefore, I proposed the following changes

1) We suggest members limit their post to one reply per day. I don't have a way to police this. But consider this as doing a favor for me!

2) We will honor the rules on random drawing of The VISTA binoculars and 2 PRIME HD as set in my initial post. However, to give all participating members a better chance to win, we will offer another pair of PRIME HD. For this pair, each member will have one vote only no matter how many posts he or she may have.

Thank you.

Charles

Charles:
Its good you've responded to your contest on some free optics.
I do wish you well with the new model.

I have a recommendation, and that is to have the contest similar to how
Doug at Cameraland does it. Have the entrants go to your wesite, and enter. By doing this you will draw some optics prospects to see your site,
and its model offerings, and then you will have their email, for sending
them important news as it comes about. Its called email marketing.

Doug is a sponsor on many optics websites, and he draws from different ones each month.

For what it is worth, I think that would be a lot better way to have the
contest than the way it is now.

Jerry

Postcardcv

Congrats on making 165 posts today and 294 out of 2325 for a 12.6 percent stake. We have about 3 posters who now account for over 25% of the total.

What was mine? Did you count mine at all? I'm interested to know what my chances are?

I reported it as potential spam when the replies were still less than 10 but the moderator who answered has been busy entering herself. Big WASTE OF BF BANDWIDTH. Charles should have run this off his own site/server.

How is it a waste of bandwidth? The Word Association thread which is approaching 4,000 pages, contains similar postings and could be argued to be even more pointless as there is no prize.

Frank:

Why should we clutter up such a nice forum with something like this contest ?

Birdforum "has been a well run forum", but with this type of thing, I predict this thread will be soon coming to an end.

Jerry

Agreed. The competition should have been advertised somewhere visible to all, but the thread where responses were required should have been in Ruffled Feathers.

Having said all the above, I'm happy to follow the rules, as I was in the first few days of the competition, and am actually quite pleased they have changed, as my fiancee was starting to wonder what I was doing all evening:-O

Charles:

Doug at Cameraland does it. Have the entrants go to your wesite, and enter. By doing this you will draw some optics prospects to see your site,

Good idea:t:

Charles:

Doug is a sponsor on many optics websites, and he draws from different ones each month.

For what it is worth, I think that would be a lot better way to have the
contest than the way it is now.

Jerry

I agree. Great idea...though I have a feeling that Charles was doing this specifically for birdforum members as a show of appreciation for how the website has helped his business. Just my guess as I don't remember seeing this type of thread on any of the other optics' forums I visit.

I agree. Great idea...though I have a feeling that Charles was doing this specifically for birdforum members as a show of appreciation for how the website has helped his business. Just my guess as I don't remember seeing this type of thread on any of the other optics' forums I visit.

I guess this is kind of a pioneer in marketing devices. And like many others it quickly started living its own life, out of control. But I think it's kind of fixed now.

It looks like the moderators are deleting multiple posts whenever they show up now.

Even though I think Zen-Ray will earn rather than loose money with the giveaways, I think it's a nice thing to do. Money for promotion have been, and will be spent in really boring ways!

:t:

It looks like the moderators are deleting multiple posts whenever they show up now.

:t:

So is the "super moderator" deleting his/her own multi-posting? I have no objection to my multiples of three being culled.

The fact remains that post 1 does not have the same chance of winning as, say, 2397 because of the way numbers are selected.

David

So is the "super moderator" deleting his/her own multi-posting? I have no objection to my multiples of three being culled.

The fact remains that post 1 does not have the same chance of winning as, say, 2397 because of the way numbers are selected.

David

Well, post #1 would be Charles then...;)

That's why posting once a day is a good thing.

Only one post each is not just more equitable but avoids an accusation of avarice.
Please do not count this comment as a second bid for the booty!

David

The one post per day was brought about yesterday and no one's multiple posts before that time were deleted ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back