• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica butterflies (2 Viewers)

Hamhed

It would be great if I could get some id's on these butterflies from this year's visit to Suital Lodge in the northern Osa peninsula. But if not, I hope the pictures will provide some enjoyment.
More to come...

Steve

Attachments

• Suital beach 1.jpg
    Suital beach 1.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Suital beach 2.jpg
    Suital beach 2.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Suital beach 3.jpg
    Suital beach 3.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Suital beach 4.jpg
    Suital beach 4.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 39
Three more from Suital.

Steve

Attachments

• Suital trail 1.jpg
    Suital trail 1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Suital trail 2.jpg
    Suital trail 2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Suital trail 3.jpg
    Suital trail 3.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 42
Thrid set from Suital.

Steve

Attachments

• Suital roadside 1.jpg
    Suital roadside 1.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Suital roadside 2.jpg
    Suital roadside 2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Suital roadside 3.jpg
    Suital roadside 3.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Suital roadside 4.jpg
    Suital roadside 4.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 31
One final shot from the same trip on a walk in Virgen del Socorro on the Carribean slope.

Steve

Attachments

• Socorro road.jpg
    Socorro road.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 42
The first set look like Marpesia sp. eg Marpesia berania

"Suital Roadside 4" is Anartia jatrophae, White Peacock

The last one looks like a reasonable match for Marpesia marcella although as with the others, I don't know how many similar species there might be.

Last edited:
Thanks, paul47. I found a website that has a number of Marpesia species pictured. We'd consider buying a Central American butterfly book. Would you be able to recommend one?

Steve

It would be great if I could get some id's on these butterflies from this year's visit to Suital Lodge in the northern Osa peninsula. But if not, I hope the pictures will provide some enjoyment.
More to come...

Steve

1-2 Marpesia berania
3 Marpesia coresia

All these ids are tentative, I'm certainly no expert...but this thread certainly helped me undust some old books.:t:

edit: just checked the amazon prices of the two Devries volumes I have :eek!:. My Riodinidae volume still with it's price on... 8.905 colones (about $20!)

Last edited:
I have these books,

http://www.amazon.com/Swift-Butterflies-Mexico-Central-America/dp/1424309158

http://www.utexas.edu/utpress/books/henb3p.html

The first book covers all the butterfly species that can be found in Costa Rica ,the second only covers the more common ones.

And a definite 2 volumes on butterflies in Costa Rica,

http://www.amazon.com/Butterflies-Costa-Their-Natural-History/dp/0691024030

Nice selection, thanks, borealowl47. Very appealing to have a good guide but a little pricey. Especially when I have you guys as back up! Is the Swift guide (#1) pretty thick and heavy?

Steve

1-2 Marpesia berania
3 Marpesia coresia
All these ids are tentative, I'm certainly no expert...but this thread certainly helped me undust some old books.:t:

I'm not usually one to help with dusting! :-O

In searching for Marpesia coresia, I'm not finding exact matches. Is there a good bit of variation in the patterns? I'm sure it would help if I had more open wing photos but I was just taking a warm afternoon break from birding. Couldn't ignore these beauties.
Muchas gracias for all the help -

Steve

Not at all,light good for the field.

I don't know why I asked - there's really no room in my carry on luggage for another book but it sounds like a good reference.

Here's one more I missed.

Thanks -
Steve

Attachments

• Costa Rica Caribbean slope.jpg
    Costa Rica Caribbean slope.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 46
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back