• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carolina's Rare Bird Alert (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
The following just came over my listserve:

Hello, this is an August 15 update of the Carolina Rare Bird Alert featuring
birding news from North and South Carolina sponsored by the Carolina Bird
Club. Highlights on this report include:

ROSEATE SPOONBILL
BROWN NODDY
LONG-BILLED CURLEW
REDDISH EGRETS

A ROSEATE SPOONBILL has been seen twice around Sunset Beach, NC. Sightings were 8-7 as a fly-by at the Twin Lakes on Hwy 179 west of the Sunset Beach bridge and 7-30 at a roost in Sea Trail. Both sightings were brief, and efforts to pin this bird down in the area have not been successful.

BROWN NODDIES were seen on consecutive offshore birding trips from Oregon Inlet on 8-9, 10. This species is one of the rarest birds offshore birders can hope to see off NC. Good numbers of BAND-RUMPED STORM-PETRELS were seen on both trips as well. For information on offshore birding opportunities in NC go to
http://www.seabirding.com or call 252-986-1363 before 10:00 PM.

LONG-BILLED CURLEWS and REDDISH EGRETS have been seen regularly at the east end of the Shackleford Banks (NC) since late July. WILSON'S PLOVERS, MARBLED GODWITS, and PIPING PLOVERS can be expected also.

WOW! Every single one would be a lifer!

Are you close to any of those locations, KC? Gonna go chasing?

How far offshore were the noddys? That would really be something to see!

They would be lifers for me as well Beverly. I emailed the poster to see if he could give me a bit more information so if I get a reply, I will let you know.

I usually do investigate during the spring and fall months but rarely during the summer as traffic during the summer here is a nightmare.

Great birds for the Carolinas KC!! I've seen all of them but none were found out of their range. Still need Bachman's Sparrow and Brown-headed Nuthatch from your state. Maybe I should get down there soon....who knows what might be around!

dennis

Brown headed nuthatches are slowly becoming endangered here along the coast due to the clearing of pine trees for building. I am in a fairly established neighborhood which still has pines so I am fortunate to get a pair of nuthatches at my feeders throughout the fall and winter months. I love listening to them. They sound like a rubber squeeze toy. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back