• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to forum - injured blackbird advice? (1 Viewer)

bevsem

BevSem
Hi All
Apologies if this is in the wrong place but i have literally just joined 3 minutes ago.
About 20mins ago i found a male, fully grown blackbird in next door neighbours empty, muddy pond. It looks like he had got his feet stuck in the mud as their were feathers all over the place and his feet and face were so muddy. It was just standing their so managed to pick it up. He moves but his eyes are half closed. He has no blood injuries (so don't think a cat or other kind of bird had had a go at him -otherwise they wouldn't have left him would they?) - but seems to still have no energy. He's moves occasionally very little. I've tried him with water but he hasnt opened his beak once yet (even when i touch it). Doesnt flinch when i touch any part of him so dont think he has broken anything either. Anyway, i have him in a ratten box which lets air in, covered in a tea towel at the side of the fire at the moment. What else do i do? I have a dog so can't really keep him all night in the living room but worried he may just die outside. (Dont have a garage or outhouse either). Advice much appreciated????

Hi bevsem and a warm welcome to you on behalf of the Staff and Moderators.

We have guidelines for you here. Good luck and let us know the outcome please.

D

to be able to just pick up a wild bird would indicate something is very wrong. He may be completely exhausted, but there is the strong possibility that he is very ill, crashlanded and used the last of his energy in trying to get free. All you can do is to keep him warm and quiet - to be close to and handled by humans is very stressful for a wild animal - in the hope he is just exhausted and will recover overnight

to be able to just pick up a wild bird would indicate something is very wrong. He may be completely exhausted, but there is the strong possibility that he is very ill, crashlanded and used the last of his energy in trying to get free. All you can do is to keep him warm and quiet - to be close to and handled by humans is very stressful for a wild animal - in the hope he is just exhausted and will recover overnight

Thanks Ken. I left him in the box. he was warm (next to the fire) and we were quiet however he just died. I think he must've really exhausted himself trying to get free from the mud that he used up all his energy. Thanks for the prompt reply. Shame i couldnt do more. Would've hated to know he had suffered outside in the cold weather or been taken by a cat. Fell alittle better knowing he was inside.

Thanks Ken. I left him in the box. he was warm (next to the fire) and we were quiet however he just died. I think he must've really exhausted himself trying to get free from the mud that he used up all his energy. Thanks for the prompt reply. Shame i couldnt do more. Would've hated to know he had suffered outside in the cold weather or been taken by a cat. Fell alittle better knowing he was inside.
At least he died warm and secure,you did your best for him.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back