• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Darren Woodhead - New Website!! (1 Viewer)

Oh Bugger...! another fine artist comes to the fore...
I actually quite like this stuff (Sorry Tim et al)......

Truly extraordinary painting!

Do you know Tim if he's by chance using any resist in his paintings now? I just can't imagine how some of those reflections could be accomplished freehand. That would seem out of character with his work as I know it but I just don't see how it would be humanly possible freehand. If so I'm even more impressed.

I believe he's in Birds in Art this year. There's about a 50% chance that we'll get out to Wisconsin to see relatives this fall. If so I'm going to try to get to show, and have sense enough not to make a 4-5 hour drive up there on a day that museum is closed!!

Truly extraordinary painting!

Do you know Tim if he's by chance using any resist in his paintings now? I just can't imagine how some of those reflections could be accomplished freehand. That would seem out of character with his work as I know it but I just don't see how it would be humanly possible freehand. If so I'm even more impressed.

I believe he's in Birds in Art this year. There's about a 50% chance that we'll get out to Wisconsin to see relatives this fall. If so I'm going to try to get to show, and have sense enough not to make a 4-5 hour drive up there on a day that museum is closed!!

I see Darren out quite often in the field as he lives and birds and paints locally. He does it all freehand. I saw him painting the smews in glacial conditions. Goodness knows how he has any feeling in his fingers let alone paint

As Mark says - all freehand. But there's much more to it than that; Darren has an incredible way of 'seeing' - positives and negatives are equally important (as, of course, they should be) in his picture-making, and aspects of one element or form in his work often combine with some other piece of the work (if that makes any sense?). I was with John Threlfall a couple of weeks ago and he described Darren's gift as 'having a seperate part of the brain reserved for art' - which I think says it quite nicely. There's an intuition going on here which lets Darren get inside his subject more than any other artist I've come across - except perhaps Nick (Derry).

As Mark says - all freehand. But there's much more to it than that; Darren has an incredible way of 'seeing' - positives and negatives are equally important (as, of course, they should be) in his picture-making, and aspects of one element or form in his work often combine with some other piece of the work (if that makes any sense?). I was with John Threlfall a couple of weeks ago and he described Darren's gift as 'having a seperate part of the brain reserved for art' - which I think says it quite nicely. There's an intuition going on here which lets Darren get inside his subject more than any other artist I've come across - except perhaps Nick (Derry).

Totally agree with the 'intuition' regards Darren and Nick....they have a third eye methinks...!

I was chatting with Darren at the Rutty Water Birdfair last year and naturally felt obliged to tell him how marvelous his works were...

Truly staggering...and i, like many, were drawn like moths to flames...

The scale of some of the works....BIG canvas's...ssooooo impressive they'd make you weep...B :)

ps...nice chap to boot....[and i don't mean 'boot' as in kick up the a***]..;)

http://username-beast.blogspot.co.uk/

what a feast- it seems impossible what he does

maybe for every 1 that he keeps and posts, there's 99 that go wrong and end up hurled in a burn, wedged under a rock, torn up and fed to Canada Geese etc.?

but I suspect not..anyone know him well enough to encourage him to post a video of himself at work?

that would be a fine thing to see, although it would be case of watch it and weep

what a feast- it seems impossible what he does

maybe for every 1 that he keeps and posts, there's 99 that go wrong and end up hurled in a burn, wedged under a rock, torn up and fed to Canada Geese etc.?

but I suspect not..anyone know him well enough to encourage him to post a video of himself at work?

that would be a fine thing to see, although it would be case of watch it and weep

I don't 'know him' other than to just have a quick chat like many others...but i am cheeky enough to ask him at the Rutty Birdfair this August if he'd do a vid of himself working...;)

Totally agree with the 'intuition' regards Darren and Nick....they have a third eye methinks...!

Thanks for your responses all. Tim, User have to agree with you too about the third eye of Nick and Darren. Almost like an eye of the imagination that is always transposing what is seen into art. I knew Darren had always worked in the field and doubted that this had changed. But still those reflections seemed impossible! Inspiring work.

spent last week with him bass rock,fidra,aberlady etc the guy is a genius looking over his should while he painted was a priviledge and also he is a really nice bloke

Darren's work is out of this world + leaves me wondering how.
He exhibits at the SOC HQ in Aberlady + they are the most inspiring pieces that I've ever seen!! Thanks to Dave for bringing such wonderful art to the SOC.
The tension between the painted + the paper, is amazing + the energy that's in each brush stroke is breathtaking + the size of the pieces is quite extraordinary as is seeing the edge of the paper, a wonderful feature. To paint in the field is quite incredible + his love of the intricate shapes of leaves + branches defining the bird in it's habitat, wonderful. The colours + compositions sing from the paper. My kids have loved to see his pieces more than any other + I try to take them to lots of the SOC exhibitions!!
I was lucky enough to be offered the chance to go to the SOC where Darren was giving a master class but the weather got in the way + my father attended ;-( Still wish I'd been able to get north masses!!
Brilliant web page to visit!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back