• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (4 Viewers)

Yesterday in Salobrar.
Water is still very high, I didn't even bother going up Eddie's track.
From the partially flooded side road to Estrencs, only a handful of common waders, Golden Plover (4), Redshank (2), Kentish Plover (4) and 6 Curlews feeding in a field next to the road. Quite a few Shelducks and Flamingoes too.

In Salines de S'Avall, 3 Flamingoes, 1 Grey Heron, a dozen BW Stilts, Mallards, 1 Sandwich Tern and 2 Audouin Gulls.
Nothing on the coast or on Na Llarga.

At the Polo Club behind Salobrar, 20 Lapwings, some Meadow Pipits, Song Thrushes. And about a dozen singing Corn Buntings in the adjacent fields.

In Prat de San Jordi, 4 Barn Swallows and a few Crag Martins. 4 Little Grebes, some Coots and Mallards too.

A single flock of 92 Stone Curlews (plus 14 others nearby) were roosting beneath grape vines north of Felanitx on 8th Jan this year. Sadly they appear to have moved on as subsequent checks have revealed none!

That must be a record Jason!
Nothing unusual seen on our walk today near Caimari but lots of Booted Eagles and displaying Red Kites were brilliant to watch.
A report of a Puffin seen from Cap de Ses Salines. I don't know the finder so I can't comment further but I will be there over the weekend to see if I can relocate it. Mike

Thanks James, impressive figures. I would love to have been here in the 70's. I see there was a record of Slender-billed Curlew in the 80's but I can't find out anything about it. I have always wondered how authentic the record is having read so much about the Druridge Bay bird. Thanks for posting. Mike

Hi Mike
The Bannermans (1983 The Birds of the Balearics) regard it as rare vagrant, based on Ponsetti (1911 Revista de Menorca - 'a catalogue of the birds observed on Menorca'). In the recent book The Birds of the Iberian Peninsula, the authors state that there are old specimens in the Ateneo de Mahón, Menorca (Munn 1924 Ibis 66: 446-467) and that there was a probable sighting at Ses Salines, Mallorca in late July 1977 (Gretton, A. 1991. ICBP Monograph 6. ICBP, Cambridge).
I hope this helps
Martin

Last edited:
That's a great help Martin. I will look into it but it seems like there must have been genuine sightings in the past. I may well pop over to Menorca and have a look if the specimens are still available. Mike

Following the report of an Atlantic Puffin seen recently from the Cap de ses Salines, I got there before first light this morning and there in amongst the huge numbers of Balearic Shearwaters, was a Puffin! After 29 years of coming here, it was my first so a sweet moment.
Also four Gannet and just as I was about to leave, a Razorbill flew past! What a day. Mike

I went to Son Navata today, or at least I think I did, but I couldn't gain access. Is it down the depuradora road please Jason? I'm sure others would like to visit so if you could let us know how to gain access that would be very helpful. Mike

That's a great help Martin. I will look into it but it seems like there must have been genuine sightings in the past. I may well pop over to Menorca and have a look if the specimens are still available. Mike
I think they must be as the bird collection is mentioned on their website.
Martin

Thank you Martin. I couldn't find it because I was in the wrong place.
I really don't know why I start this thread every year, I cant identify birds and I can't even find my way around this small Island.
Luckily, I know a Puffin when I see one! Mike

Down South....Trip to Salinas Salt Pans and surrounding area.(Salobrar)

Flamingos, Black winged Stilts, Dunlins, Kentish and Ringed Plovers, Redshanks, Curlew and Common Sandpipers.

Booted Eagles and Thekla Larks also seen

Following the Puffin sighting yesterday, a number of locals were at the Cap this morning. It was still windy and very fresh but it was not such a good day bird wise. There were many Balearic Shearwaters but nothing like the numbers yesterday, and a few Scopoli's too. There were more Gannet today though, everywhere we looked there were one or two more, mostly adults. Probably 8 in total.
A Great skua was sighted and a Razorbill but no sign of the much hoped for Puffin.
I will go again at dawn tomorrow in the hope of seeing it again.
We went to the salt pans afterwards, Ringed Plover, 3 Black necked grebes, Dunlin, Little stint and Avocets. Mike

Following the Puffin sighting yesterday, a number of locals were at the Cap this morning. It was still windy and very fresh but it was not such a good day bird wise. There were many Balearic Shearwaters but nothing like the numbers yesterday, and a few Scopoli's too. There were more Gannet today though, everywhere we looked there were one or two more, mostly adults. Probably 8 in total.
A Great skua was sighted and a Razorbill but no sign of the much hoped for Puffin.

Thanks for the invite

A great place to seawatch on a Sunday morning.

I cannot think of anything finer.

Hope to see you up North soon so we can dip out again!

Mike Swiss

Hi Mike, yes, it was fun, just sorry we didn't have more time with you.
Perhaps we could arrange the walk from Lluc one Sunday as soon as all the family leave. Don't forget the pies next time. Mike

Hi Mike

As you can see on the map that Martin has provided, there are two areas of water, one on the SW side of the main MA-5100 road, and a stretch on the E side of the Cami de Son Valls. The latter stretch is viewable through the railings along the road side (this is also the best place to park, along the quieter Cami de Son Valls), with the wet area stretching about 200m along this road. This area is good in the evening for the large roost of egrets (mostly Cattle) in the tall patch of fragmites, as well as various wildfowl, Lapwings and Purple Gallinule.

The pools on the SW side of the main road can be viewed by walking back along and crossing this road, onto the grassy bank and viewing the water from here. There are three separate stretches of water here, and you can view all of them a the moment through the reeds, with minimal disturbance to the wildfowl with care. Unfortunately there was no sign of the fudge duck when I last visited. However it is a good site for Pochard, with a small flock present, and I have also seen Little Bittern here.

Hope this is useful.

Jason

I went to Son Navata today, or at least I think I did, but I couldn't gain access. Is it down the depuradora road please Jason? I'm sure others would like to visit so if you could let us know how to gain access that would be very helpful. Mike

Visit to Porto Colom

Wonderful wild habitats

Gannets and Balearic Shearwaters.

Common Sandpipers and Audouins Gulls.

Even a Storm Petrel recently reported.

Possible early yellow wagtail seen but too fast for photo etc.

Several tree Sparrows seen at Petra.

Reed Warblers vs Moustached Warblers

Hi Mike

Just returned from Albufera.

Usual great birds including Osprey, Marbled Ducks, Black Winged Stilts, etc however heard several Warblers singing.

I thought too early for Reed Warblers. What records do you have for Reed Warblers and for Moustached Warblers at this time of the year?

Cheers

Mike S.

Most likely Moustached warblers Mike, they are resident and it's a beautiful day with many birds in song. Hoopoes calling everywhere, a nice Wryneck this morning in Mondrago.
The earliest sighting of Reed Warbler for me was 18th March and even that was earlier than normal.
Thanks for all your reports, just wish I was up north with you, I need so many of the species you have listed. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back