• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (1 Viewer)

Hi ggshrike. I hope the weather improves for you, it has been ghastly for a couple of days.
All bird news I get goes on here. A few migrants are coming through but nothing very rare in the last few days. Yellow wagtails, House martins and a few Red-rumped swallows. If you can get to Maristany it is worth a visit, one year there were two early Little crakes and you just never know. It's a great place for early migrants as are both Albufereta and Albufera.
Can Curassa is worth going to for Spotless Starlings, they can be seen on the wires or on the roofs of the houses where they nest.
Good luck and do let us know what you see. Mike

Hi Mike, it has gone a bit quiet, must be the weather.
I am dropping Jane off at the airport on Saturday the 4th but I could come straight on afterwards to meet up if you let me know where you will be. Hope to see you then, there will be more migration by then, promise! Mike

Hi Mike, it has gone a bit quiet, must be the weather.
I am dropping Jane off at the airport on Saturday the 4th but I could come straight on afterwards to meet up if you let me know where you will be. Hope to see you then, there will be more migration by then, promise! Mike

Promises..promises..sounds good stay by your phone/ whats app etc and lets see whats around

Sunny Sunday around Albuferata and Can Cuarassa Road

No spotless starlings yet but great day for Raptors

Birds seen included: 6 Marsh Harriers, 2 Booted Eagles, 3 Kestrals, Red Kite and Osprey.

Other birds included Black winged Stilts, Great and Little Egrets, Cetti, Sardinian and fantailed warblers, Hoopoes, skylarks, meadow larks, stonechats, Common Sandpiper, Little Ringed Plovers.

Attachments

• IMG_0491.JPG
    IMG_0491.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0490.JPG
    IMG_0490.JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 46
Trip to Airport

Visit to Bassa de Can Guidet failed to see any swallows

Looking for the White Stork at Son Ferriol

Failed again. But Nice Osprey, Red Kite and three Kestrels

Spent an hour in the hide at Son Real yesterday and only saw Great tit and Robin. Elsewhere on the reserve the usual common finches and thrushes as well as Firecrest, Wren, Dunnock and Sparrowhawk.
Today at Cami des Pols several Swallows and Sand Martins, Osprey, Yellow wagtail, Reed bunting, Moutached, Cettis and F.T warbler. Lots of Meadow pipits and common wader species.

Booted eagles were displaying vigorously over Binifarda today with perhaps two pairs, including males calling, displaying and wing-fluttering. A fantastic call, which had me looking up for an early Beeeater at first. Then an evening visit to Salobrar de Campos a good selection of the usual winter waders and some very vocal avocets and black winged stilts, plus at least 60 flamingos. The evening roost was highlighted by what was almost certainly a female type Pallid Harrier, a super slim and small bird with what appeared to be very clean unmarked underparts, but I would like to verify this as views were distant and the light poor. Also 20 marsh and 2 male Hen Harriers, all with the distraction of about 50 house martins, 10 swallows and 4 red rumped swallows overhead having a pre roost feed.

Booted eagles were displaying vigorously over Binifarda today with perhaps two pairs, including males calling, displaying and wing-fluttering. A fantastic call, which had me looking up for an early Beeeater at first. Then an evening visit to Salobrar de Campos a good selection of the usual winter waders and some very vocal avocets and black winged stilts, plus at least 60 flamingos. The evening roost was highlighted by what was almost certainly a female type Pallid Harrier, a super slim and small bird with what appeared to be very clean unmarked underparts, but I would like to verify this as views were distant and the light poor. Also 20 marsh and 2 male Hen Harriers, all with the distraction of about 50 house martins, 10 swallows and 4 red rumped swallows overhead having a pre roost feed.

It sounds idyllic!
Martin

Today at Cami des Pols lots of hirundines including Sand Martins, house martins, Barn swallows and at least 6 Red dumped amongst them. Also 2 Yellow wagtail.
The migration is on !

Much as I like having friends to stay, it is very painful reading about all these great birds and not being able to see them. Our guests go tomorrow Mike so I will be free from then. I am going to Boquer on Friday with a walking group and can meet up Saturday early afternoon.
Mike

The spell-check doesn't like "Red-rumped swallow" and always spells "Red-rumpled swallow". Now I see from Kevin's post, it's spelt "Red-dumped swallow". What next? Mike

Flamingos at s'Albufereta

Hello,
Three days ago one birdwatcher saw one Flamingo at s'Albufereta Reserve.
Last Monday, on my way home, I saw a flock of Greater Flamingos (20-25) were flying along s'Albufereta Beach.

Today, my first House Martin here at la Gola.

Regards,
Cristina.

Last edited:
Yesterday Morning at Salobrar de Campos produced the presumed hybrid Western Reef x Little Egret, three Little Ringed Plovers , Red-rumped Swallow and two Yellow Wagtails (which sounded like iberiae), plus 135 Greater Flamingos and nine stunning Pintail, but not the hoped for harrier.

Spent the night at Tossalls Verds refugi, with the walk nearby featuring Black and Griffon Vulture, a lone adult Bonelli's Eagle which came out of nowhere being mobbed by a Peregrine, Booted Eagles, Red Kites and Kestrels, as well as Blue Rock Thrush, Blue Tits and an abundance of Firecrests. Not to mention stunning scenery!

Attachments

• 1C0A4241_crop_resize.jpg
    1C0A4241_crop_resize.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 1C0A4304_crop_resize.jpg
    1C0A4304_crop_resize.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 1C0A4326_crop_resize.jpg
    1C0A4326_crop_resize.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 1C0A4346_crop_resize.jpg
    1C0A4346_crop_resize.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 78
Prolonged views of a Black kite circling over Costiitx this afternoon. Also a report of a Spotted crake see by Pep at Cami des Polls, Albufera. Hopefully, Pep will post details. There have been quite a few reports this winter but details have been sketchy so a confirmed sighting would be good. I feel sure there are some around, they are rarely seen though, mostly heard only. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back