• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (2 Viewers)

Hi Paul, yes, they would be Eleanora's, they like to hunt there in the evenings. Any Hobbies would have been and gone by now. A total of 17 Hobby came through the tower at Albercutx between the 12th and 23rd April with a maximum of 3 in any one day so they are long gone by now. Still a wonderful sight though Paul,seeing Eleanora's hunting is always special, they are true masters of the sky. Enjoy the rest of your holiday. Mike

It's all gone a bit quiet now and it's very hot too. A few hours spent at Albufereta produced little of note, a couple of Purple herons and the hybrid egret (garzetta/gularis) is still around. Two Spotless Starlings at Can Cuarassa. Mike

It looks like Es Trenc beach and Salobrar de Campos have at last been designated a natural park and are therefore now protected. I hope my translation skills are correct. Congratulations to all involved, Salobrar is an amazing place with some wonderful birds so it's about time it was given full protection. Mike

It looks like Es Trenc beach and Salobrar de Campos have at last been designated a natural park and are therefore now protected. I hope my translation skills are correct. Congratulations to all involved, Salobrar is an amazing place with some wonderful birds so it's about time it was given full protection. Mike

Great News :t:

A late Honey Buzzard through Menorca yesterday so still a bit of migration but it's generally quiet apart from a great selection of butterflies at the moment.
Returning waders should appear soon, best place would be Salobrar de Campos. I will be going in the next few days and will post. Still about 55 greater Flamingos there at the moment so quite a few stay all summer. Post breeders will also be returning soon and the numbers will gradually build up again. What a great site the salt pans are. Very hot here now. Mike

Three pairs of Osprey are confirmed breeding on Cabrera. Miguel informs me that the nests are not monitored but that adult survival rates are now higher. I'm not sure why this is but it's all great news. Mike

Hello everyone,

Coming out in just under a fortnight, very excited!

Just wanted to know if anyone had seen/heard Scops Owl at anywhere of the roost sites (Pollentia Park Hotel, Puig de Sant Marti etc). I am aware of a singing bird in Cala Sant Vicenc, but just want some confirmation as to whether these roosts are turning birds up or not.

Many thanks,
Luke

A Little tern has been seen at the depuradora, Albufera, quite a scarce bird here in Mallorca and I think this is the only sighting this year so far, last year was a good year with a few seen.
Also, Rock sparrow seen at their usual haunt at Cap Blanc. Mike

On more of a reaching holiday this year but still managed to fit a little bit of birding in. Went on a boat trip around the Formentor Peninsula, around to Cala St. Vincente. Had brilliant views of several Eleonora's Falcon at Cala Figuera. Also had 2 Booted Eagle, 4 Osprey and 2 Balearic Shearwaters (I think!! They didn't seem to be white underneath so I'm assuming they were Balearic rather than Scoploi's?).

I'd be interested in any Scop's Owl info although we only have tonight and tomorrow left.

Still love Mallorca but prefer the spring when it's a bit cooler and there are a few more birds.

Happy birding
Rach

Hi Rach, I hope someone can help with the two requests for Scop's owls sightings in the north, I only have information for the south.
Balearic Shearwaters vary so much from having very dingy underparts to white. Having white does not necessarily mean they are Yelkouan. As your birds were dingy, I would opt for Balearic, they are more common than Scopoli's at this time of the year. Balearics are much smaller than Scopoli's with faster wingbeats so I hope that helps.
Sorry about the weather, it's not normally this hot in June. Mike

Last edited:
Hi Rach, I hope someone can help with the two requests for Scop's owls sightings in the north, I only have information for the south.
Balearic Shearwaters vary so much from having very dingy underparts to white. Having white does not necessarily mean they are Yelkouan. As your birds were dingy, I would opt for Balearic, they are more common than Scopoli's at this time of the year. Balearics are much smaller than Scopoli's with faster wingbeats so I hope that helps.
Sorry about the weather, it's not normally this hot in June. Mike

Thanks Mike,

I would say they were Balearic too having looked in my book back at the hotel. If I'd been quicker, I might have got a record shot of them on my phone!

As for the Scop's Owls, will they still be calling at dusk at this time of year? I know of the site near to the Pollensa Park but I understand this is no longer in use due to renovations to the Hotel they used to nest in. I also knew of one near the Villa Singala but I tried there last year and had no luck.

Thanks Rach

I saw two golden eagles at Cuber reservoir two days ago - clear as day. I thought they had died out on mallorca. have they come back? John

The last Balearic Bird report that I have (2015) does list Golden Eagle as an extinct breeder (Mallorca).
There are also two sets of sightings:
On 29 March 2015 one was found dead (washed up) on the beach in Alcudia.
A series of sightings of the wild living female which escaped from a falconer in 2004.
Mallorca: Albufera. 1 female present 2-I (MUN), between April and July, and from October to 17-XII (RES, REU, VIC, TAIB, PNAM; MAC, LOP, BRC).
Albercutx watch tower, Pollença. 1 bird 28-III, 4, 5 and 10-IV (GORA).
Coll de Tirapeu, Pollença. 1 bird on 28-III, 2, 12 and 19-IV (QUN, ANR, TAP).
Coll des Coloms, Pollença. 1 bird 3-IV (MRN, GUF) and 1-V (ANR, NUE).
As a rarity I expect that a full description will be needed - but I'm sure others will mention this too.
Martin

A Little tern has been seen at the depuradora, Albufera, quite a scarce bird here in Mallorca and I think this is the only sighting this year so far, last year was a good year with a few seen.
Also, Rock sparrow seen at their usual haunt at Cap Blanc. Mike

Hi Mike
I saw a single Little Tern on 27 April on the main lago at Albufereta following a storm - I did post here at the time although I've not submitted the record.
Graham

Last edited:
Waxbills

Hi Mike
No problem.
In Post 925, Luke asked about Waxbills which seem to be scarcer these days. I have most often seen them at and around the point where Cami Vell de Societat Anonima meets with the short extension from the Cami des Polls on the Albufera NP - my last sighting in that area was October 2014 when I had a small flock of 6/7 birds just at that junction. I have also seen them a few times from the platform area at the Depuradora S'Illiot usually looking away from the lagoons - but not since 2006. These two sites are quite close to each other.
Graham

Nightjar

Hi Mike
Arrived Wednesday evening. Crikey! It's hot! On Saturday morning at Boquer farm a fellow birder told me he had heard a single Nightjar churring at 21.45 the previous evening just north of the car park where the new road meets the old Boquer farm access track next to two villas. Saturday I turned up at 21.30 more in hope that expectation - no churring - but at 22.15 approx a Nightjar flew low overhead crossing the parking space from the fields just below and into the trees just northeast of the parking space. What a stroke of luck! My holiday target bird fifteen minutes walk from home. Apart from that - very quiet up here.
Phil

Hi again- re the Scops Owls in the Pollensa Park area- the "renovations" to the Pollentia Hotel are in fact in my opinion a deliberate blocking up of the traditional nest site at the rear of the Pollentia in the ventilation shaft, as they have boarded up all the top parts of the shafts which precludes anything from getting in, and hence the total absence of any records this year. Have a look for yourself if you are in the area and you will see what I mean. Hugh Matthews, Northampton.

Arriving Friday

Looking forward to another visit, staying in Campanet. Not my choice of timing but have always found good birds. I've seen reports today of the Western Reef Egret still being seen at Albufera - no detail, anyone know where exactly?
No further sightings of the Ruppells Vulture?
& I'd like to add LE Owl & Bonellis Eagle if poss. this year.
Any advice appreciated.
Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back