• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Images' (1 Viewer)

username

Despite having much trepidation about starting such a new thread amongst such great wildlife artists...i thought...[eventually]...well why not..?
I am sure that it will be not to everyone's taste but is meant to be playful and perhaps thought provoking....[yes...you will probably think..'why does he bother]...;)
My inspiration comes from the natural world...[believe it or not]!...and i have always possessed an endless fascination for textures and composition...whether that comes from geological forms or clouds...or...[well..basically anything that attracts my eye]...!

So here goes nothing....

Last night i became focused on 'owls' and i post an original pic of mine from many years ago...[a normal picture]...;) The other images are my photo compositions distilled from natural forms that i have collected....[and then put thru the blender which is the 'evil' photoshop].....just for fun...just to see what images can be created....

ps....perhaps other fun-minded folk might care to dabble in the dark arts of image alchemy....or maybe not....B :)

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 420
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 340
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 226
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 225
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 250
Only the snowy owl is original artwork Tim.....[this artwork was stolen long time passed...it was a large pastel work...and now i only have photo's of that piece...and they don't show the detail that was in original].

The 'bizarre' images are a combination of found weathered wood...combined with other 'items'! The 'owl-like' face is...in fact...the inside of an actual 'nut' split in half which i found whilst out in the countryside...!
I combine the materials...[as in a studio]...and 'light' the scene...and have fun..;)

With the 'owl-like' images i just attempted to create a 'feel'...gothic..ghostly...etc...[such feelings that ill-informed folk had about these creatures in the past]....

The other images are my photo compositions distilled from natural forms that i have collected....[and then put thru the blender which is the 'evil' photoshop].....just for fun...just to see what images can be created....

:)

I think they look fantastic- especially collected together as a four like that

"fresco" is worth a whirl (or whizz) when next you crank up the p'shop blender- but maybe its already one of your weapons of choice

Cheers Ed.....! I think they make an interesting combination too...[i would wouldn't i]..?;)

Today me and my mate 'went a birding' over to Frampton Marshes in Lincs today. I couldn't resist 'capturing a few of the images of iced water...[please note that these pics aren't 'tinkered with' apart from slightly darkening the images]....! The second 'one' almost has an oil painting quality about it...

ps...had great day out...my 'fav'..male hen harrier...plus excellent views of twite..snow bunt and lapland buntings and the awesome visual treats of masses of Brents flying over....

pps...oh...and i also collected an 'interesting' piece of wood...[might come in handy at some point]....;)

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 211
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 228
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 194
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 195
User - you should be thoroughly ashamed! .......* for not having come here and posting earlier - these are wonderfully creative, things you see become your plaything and you find so much surprise in there - I would love to have the guts to be this creative! Love it!

*look! I did dots!

. . . . . dots are the new black, don't ya know . . . .
Love these, User - I like to think I can appreciate photography as an art-form - and a camera really starts to work as a creative tool when in the hands of a painter (a painter being someone who sees in colour, as far as I'm concerned). Tip-top.
. . . . .

User - you should be thoroughly ashamed! .......* for not having come here and posting earlier - these are wonderfully creative, things you see become your plaything and you find so much surprise in there - I would love to have the guts to be this creative! Love it!

*look! I did dots!

[chuckle]...!! I know i should be ashamed Nick...but...as folk who know me well...i have always been 'shameless'...;)

I must admit....i was quite nervous posting my 'images' as i was unsure of the reaction [as it seems 'out of place' somewhat]?...especially when surrounded by so many talented wildlife artists.
Tis great to get the positive responses from you folks...and i find it very refreshing that me using photographic and other playful techniques does not offend certain sensibilities...[which i have found in the past]!

So...[having said all that]....'beware'.....there will be endless experimental images winging there way onto you're screens if i get carried away again...[which i undoubtedly will]...B :) Cheers....:t:

ps..Tim...i have noticed that the 'dot-virus' seems to be contagious....[chuckle]...!

Last edited:
I always.......suspected......that you had an artistic streak.....and now you've started posting don't just ................ stop! I love both these sets.

Dots to one side...;)...here's just a quicky...[so to speak]...and an example of an image i found...

[Sort of fits in with my earlier 'owl' theme...and is just a bit of a coincidence]...

Earlier tonight, on my desk, the lighting caught the underside of my battered old cigarette tin....i hadn't noticed the image before....the attached image is the result....

ps....i added one small white 'dot' to this pic.....;)

pps...the image works better against a dark background of some kind as the light source diffuses onto the right hand side...[and if i was better at computer wizardry i'd fix that....!

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
Good eyes mate...looks like it's flying into a thick evergreen forest...v atmospheric

Yeah...it's quite a wacky thing i reckon Ads....but that 'bleeding' white on the right of image doesn't sit well with my senses....looked fine on my pc beforehand....[oh for a dark background to encapsulate]...!

ps...Apodemus.....am pleased you like my visual stuff..!
Despite not originating from Bohemia...i do...[however]...seem to possess Bohemian 'tendencies' it must be said...;)...[you must have picked up on this...obviously]..!

pps...AndrewH.....? [chuckle]..!

Lovely - looks to have a burnished quality. I wonder how you could transpose this type of textural image to act as a base for perhaps a painted image? Or maybe, a fully worked up digital piece - possiblilities are vast.
And with apologies - does this help at all?. . .

Attachments

• 009new.jpg
    009new.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 199
Yeah...it's quite a wacky thing i reckon Ads....but that 'bleeding' white on the right of image doesn't sit well with my senses....looked fine on my pc beforehand....[oh for a dark background to encapsulate]...!

ps...Apodemus.....am pleased you like my visual stuff..!
Despite not originating from Bohemia...i do...[however]...seem to possess Bohemian 'tendencies' it must be said...;)...[you must have picked up on this...obviously]..!

pps...AndrewH.....? [chuckle]..!

More brill. I guess you want to keep the bright white on the right, to convey that flying-from-the-light atmosphere? Otherwise you could staunch the bleed by selecting and taking the white down by -10 notches or so.

Tim.....yes...i agree the possibilities are endless with such an image...and thanks for putting black border on! Tis still not 'right' yet to my eyes....[i may faff around with it later but...as usual..i have been creating 'new stuff'].
It has crossed my mind that i could..actually...render any of my 'stuff' using conventional mediums...oil paint etc. I am tempted to get me old 'brushes n colours out'...tho don't know now if i'd remember which way round to hold a brush! Such is the absorbing nature of this computer rendering 'tool'..! [yes...i know...i sold my soul to the devil a long time ago]..;)
Actually...talking about the effects of PC's on the human psyche...[which i seem to be]!...i remember i did an 'actual-real' picture :eek!:...many moons ago reflecting the effect...[hhmmm...will dig it out perhaps and post later]...nothing to do with wildlife art tho....[great...no rules]...!

Okay...am gonna have a look at some of my diabolic computer tinkerings of late last night to see if they hold up to the 'new day...new eyes'...[think i was still on the 'owl' thing]....:smoke:

exciting image - love it, the owl is exactly as it should be, a sort of alchemy between itself, the sky and the branches.

exciting image - love it, the owl is exactly as it should be, a sort of alchemy between itself, the sky and the branches.

Quite bizarre how...[having seen the inside of my baccy tin many times];)..tho i knew there was a whitish 'smudge' of some sorts on the brassy inside of lid...it was only by chance..positioning of light etc...that it caught my eye...[maybe it was because i was in the 'owl-zone]? More like the twilight zone eh...?;)

I attach a few of last night's 'ventures' continuing with the 'night-bird' theme...
...first image is more simplistic and is really just me admiring the textures of stone....[have collected many 'pieces' from all round the world to remind me of the fantastic complexities within the geological landscape]...

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 172
  • 009 (3).jpg
    009 (3).jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 193
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 189
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 188
Top quality illustration, mate - clear to see where the creativity comes from. These are fascinating pieces, they really are.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back