• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Images' (1 Viewer)

Forgive me if i woffle and 'drift' a bit on this post...but as i have just returned from....B :)...i may be even less 'clear' than usual..;)

I was discussing with a birdy mate, albeit briefly, down the boozer...[about 'art' in all it's many forms]...and it is a strange 'thing'...these..[whatever they are]...computer 'enhanced' visuals...
Now i used to dabble in oils..[pastels etc]...and i admired, at an early age, the works by 'true' masters in the art world...ie....Chagall...Francis Bacon...[who's pub i used to frequent in Soho at one point...tho i never met him unfortunately]. Now what would such artists make of the artistic 'tools' now available to many folk....spawned by computers..?
I guess that Warhol would have had few reservations....[and while i'm in 'woffle mode'...i might as well come clean about being a huge Velvet Underground fiend]...;)

Okay...alcohol fueled 'musings' over....time for transitions.....

ps....computer 'sculpted' from a pic i took of a tree....

Attachments

• 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 251
ooooh! Spaghetti trees! I'm really enjoying these.

As for using technology available, I suppose that it's all valid - for example, if I do a picture where I like the composition, but do a naff paint job on it, I often use tracing paper to transfer the composition to another piece of paper to start again, but would it be wrong for example to take a quick photo of it and use a digital projector to transfer it?

Wonder how much they cost?

ooooh! Spaghetti trees! I'm really enjoying these.

As for using technology available, I suppose that it's all valid - for example, if I do a picture where I like the composition, but do a naff paint job on it, I often use tracing paper to transfer the composition to another piece of paper to start again, but would it be wrong for example to take a quick photo of it and use a digital projector to transfer it?

Wonder how much they cost?

'Spaghetti trees'?.....like it...:-O

Trying to be 'ever so slightly' serious in a semi-intoxicated state;)....it is actually interesting what you say about transferring compositions...'rights n wrongs' as you say....using photo's etc...
Now i know of many...few..?...artists who use such techno-aids in order to reach the required 'settled' composition. Of course 'early masters' never had the 'tools' that are available to us now....but that was then..things move on.
I suppose what remains is the 'eye of the beholder'....

ps....as i'm slightly 'gone' i'll stick a few more images up...[i will probably regret it in the morning]...:eek!:

pps...one pic is 'the' tree i morphed the last 'owl...but not an owl' pic from in last post....

Attachments

• 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 169
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 161
A very textural crack willow - showing where it got its name from and a superbly evocative Munchian treescape. I could see this image sitting nicely on a gallery wall somewhere.
Regarding ''Masters' '' use of technology - there's no doubt some would have used all that was available. Grids have been used for hundreds of years as a mechanical aid to drawing, and tracing has its roots way back. As for computers; of course they'd have been used - I mean, Leonardo the greatest of them all (?) would not only have embraced the technology, he'd probably have been the one to have invented it!

Munchian indeed Tim....[i can almost hear the 'scream']..! Wonderful trees crack willows...i find all natural forms inspiring as i walk about my local patch. To tell you the truth...owing to the paucity of birds at times in my area...it's no wonder my attentions are diverted elsewhere!

Of note...the pic..[taken with my trusty/ever-handy mobile phone]!..next to the willow..[the Van Gogh-ish spaghetti trees];) is a potential visual aid for an encounter i had with a peregrine other day.

Whilst in the field i noticed a slightly un-natural 'twitch' within a flock of woodpigeons on a distant horizon. Now to a birder...this was the equivalent...[using a fishing analogy]...of suspecting a 'bite' having observed your 'float' bobbing suspiciously on the water! To cut a long rambling story short...[and seeing as i cannot write like J.A Baker]....a peregrine then caused the pigeons to burst into a swirl of panic. Perhaps i will combine my spaghetti image with this enigmatic falcon at a later date....[i may even use paint']:eek!:

Here's another quick 'morph'....original colour pencil work o mine...then put thru photoshop blender to see what compositions/textures appeared etc....[in other words...buggering about]...

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Latest owl explorations....a morph in progress...

ps...when i eventually went kip last night a male tawny owls melancholy hooting serenaded me to sleep.....

pps...[and no...before someone is tempted to say it]....the owl was not inside my flat on the end o me bed...i think he was parked on a neighbors roof...;)

ppps....these pics originate as did the first 'lot' i posted....

Attachments

• owl 1.jpg
    owl 1.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 80
  • owl 2.jpg
    owl 2.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 75
  • owl 3.jpg
    owl 3.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 90
Superb l-t s - a wonderful bird painted so that mixture of delicacy and power comes through. I like the morph, too - but, as a skua fan, the original has such a lot going for it. Fabulous.

Superb l-t s - a wonderful bird painted so that mixture of delicacy and power comes through. I like the morph, too - but, as a skua fan, the original has such a lot going for it. Fabulous.

I'm a huge skua fan myself Tim.....i did the Hebs once in Maytime to witness their spectacular northwards migration....[very treasured memories]!

I agree on 'morph v original' of the skua pic....what fascinated me more...rather than the actual subject of LTS..was the way 'the process' transformed and animated the textures within the waters.

ps....i think that a dipper or a forktail would perhaps be more suitable against the turbulent morph waterfall effect....;)

I see these as book covers, eye-catching and intriguing. The skua is a gem, unconventional composition that is just full of energy and excitement, and the morph is interesting too. Yes, I could see a dipper fitting well into that scene too.

I see these as book covers, eye-catching and intriguing. The skua is a gem, unconventional composition that is just full of energy and excitement, and the morph is interesting too. Yes, I could see a dipper fitting well into that scene too.

Book covers perhaps....or maybe an 'owl calendar' for the visually fixated...[and possibly quite demented]..;)

ps...as an antidote for all the morphing movement images....i thought...[for some reason]...that i'd just mix it up a bit and just attach a couple of, hopefully, more relaxing photo's that literally reflect my fascination with water and movement.....[yadda yadda and so forth]....

pps...as a self designated spokesperson for 'Pondlife International'....i would just like to say that i can't wait until spring arrives when dragonflies will once more grace the air...[having been aquatic creatures for so long].....

Attachments

• tadpole-web.jpg
    tadpole-web.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 97
  • tadpoles-web.jpg
    tadpoles-web.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 91
I think I'll have to make it a resolution of mine to 'get lost' in these sort of scenes when I'm out a bit more often. So much abstraction and form that is just ignored (me being very guilty of this - but I'm terrified of frogs, so I've an excuse!) Particularly enjoy watching the shadows of surface tension.

Bit of a herpophile meself, User - did a lot of work with Drs. Rob Oldham & Mary Swan @ Leicester Poly many years ago (GCnewts). I don't get to see many amphibs up here unfortunately. These images strike a chord - cheers.

I think I'll have to make it a resolution of mine to 'get lost' in these sort of scenes when I'm out a bit more often. So much abstraction and form that is just ignored (me being very guilty of this - but I'm terrified of frogs, so I've an excuse!) Particularly enjoy watching the shadows of surface tension.

It is amazing what images lurk within and beneath surfaces when you take the time. It may be because i am particularly fond...especially in the summer...of observing dragonflies and all manner of bizarre insects...that i 'zone in' on these 'little universes'...and they are really 'other' worlds....!

ps...you will have to get over your 'frog phobia' Nick;)...do you have the same feelings about snakes...?...[not that that's important or in anyway relevant]....:smoke:

It is amazing what images lurk within and beneath surfaces when you take the time. It may be because i am particularly fond...especially in the summer...of observing dragonflies and all manner of bizarre insects...that i 'zone in' on these 'little universes'...and they are really 'other' worlds....!

ps...you will have to get over your 'frog phobia' Nick;)...do you have the same feelings about snakes...?...[not that that's important or in anyway relevant]....:smoke:

No, it's just frogs, snakes I love. Well, frogs I love too, just can't go too near them, and it's just frogs over about an inch long. Big toads and small frogs are no problem, green frogs scare the heeby jeebies out of me and common frogs are the devil. Perhaps it's odd, but I also have a phobia of small plastic gifts in Kinder Surprises and cornflakes.

apart from that, I can assure you I'm quite normal! :smoke:

No, it's just frogs, snakes I love. Well, frogs I love too, just can't go too near them, and it's just frogs over about an inch long. Big toads and small frogs are no problem, green frogs scare the heeby jeebies out of me and common frogs are the devil. Perhaps it's odd, but I also have a phobia of small plastic gifts in Kinder Surprises and cornflakes.

apart from that, I can assure you I'm quite normal! :smoke:

:-O...that made me laugh...obviously...[hence the giggling bouncy grape icon]..!

Actually...you have just given me an idea on what i'll 'play with' next...and as Tim is a herpophile...[is that strictly legal]?...i'm sure he won't object!

I am ridiculously attracted towards snakes and have been all my life...[have seen some incredible species in various parts of the world but have never seen an 'eye-lash viper'...[i think that's what it's called]...? One day maybe!

Book covers perhaps....or maybe an 'owl calendar' for the visually fixated...[and possibly quite demented]..;)

ps...as an antidote for all the morphing movement images....i thought...[for some reason]...that i'd just mix it up a bit and just attach a couple of, hopefully, more relaxing photo's that literally reflect my fascination with water and movement.....[yadda yadda and so forth]....

pps...as a self designated spokesperson for 'Pondlife International'....i would just like to say that i can't wait until spring arrives when dragonflies will once more grace the air...[having been aquatic creatures for so long].....

The one on the left is particularly striking.

The one on the left is particularly striking.

Yes...thank you SV..it is a favorite of mine...and no need to 'tamper' with..;)

Okay..now for a quick quiz....[please don't all yawn at once]...!

The attached image has not been distorted by me in any way...[i took it a whiles back now]....any guesses as to species.....?

ps...[a clue]...it's not a frog..bird...or anything you might find in a Kinder egg..;)

Attachments

• 006 - Copy.jpg
    006 - Copy.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 102
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back