• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you buy a good roof prism for $200.00 or are you jerking our diopter Frank? (5 Viewers)

Actually, for the price they are built rather well. I thought they were not very sharp also. But i learned it was the shallow focus. Focused correctly, they punch pretty high on the scale. Given I have use of their special characteristics, I ended up learning how to use them.
Today, i brought them in from the car for cleaning. While doing so, near a window, i saw whitish grey flit through the trees behind the garage; got on it and focused...my little local Shrike was hanging out again.:t:

I agree with the shallow focus. The Nikon Prostaff 8x25's work better for birding and are the same price. Brighter and sharper too. Nikon makes alot of good binoculars don't they. HaHa. The SE, EII's and EDG. Whew. They make some fine binoculars and cameras!

It is a Pentax. Anyway the promo on those specifically says it's designed for butterfly or museum. Named for the Latin word for butterfly, PENTAX Papilio 8.5x21 binoculars are the perfect choice for insect observation in the field and in museums and galleries.

Not birdwatching. Nothing I've ever seen does a better job on close focus than those and that makes them unique and not junk. I'd be loathe to give mine up. I can't wait for summer insect bloom and watching bees and butterfly's in the flowers. One of the very last pairs I'd ever give up.

Out of 59 ratings they got 51 five star, 7 four star, and 1 one star rating. Guess who give them one star Dennis? That person did not rate them based on their intended use but rather on some misinformation he had gathered on those being particularly good birding glasses. What a hoot!

Last edited:
I can't wait for summer insect bloom and watching bees and butterfly's in the flowers.

Sigh. Just a couple more months here :-C

Yes, for those of us who suffer from chronic curiousity they are a definite must have.

While my new Monovid shares aspects with the Papilio, and optically out-classes it also, the Papilio's easy-binocular view is unique.

There are two binoculars that i have a back-up of the same model, new, but stored, just-in-case. One is the Nikon 8x32 SE. The other is the 8.5x Papilio.

I use the 6.5x I like the wider fov but might try your's sometime. They will likely be my most used bins in spring and summer. I plan on putting them on my belt and having the 8x32 around my neck and then having a full day afield prepared for almost anything.

the EO Ranger and Vortex Fury both focus down to 3ft so do you really need the Papilio?

That's quite good.

The Papilio 8.5x has a close focus of 1/2 that, 18 inches. And, due to the optical design, it is at 10x at closest focus (figured out by EDZ over at Cloudy Nights), and there is a single, unified image from both barrels. So yes, for my purposes, i do need that. ;)

It's that unified image that makes all the difference.

It's a whole different experience than looking through my Rangers or Fury's and many won't get it until they experience it.

It is a Pentax. Anyway the promo on those specifically says it's designed for butterfly or museum. Named for the Latin word for butterfly, PENTAX Papilio 8.5x21 binoculars are the perfect choice for insect observation in the field and in museums and galleries.

Not birdwatching. Nothing I've ever seen does a better job on close focus than those and that makes them unique and not junk. I'd be loathe to give mine up. I can't wait for summer insect bloom and watching bees and butterfly's in the flowers. One of the very last pairs I'd ever give up.

Out of 59 ratings they got 51 five star, 7 four star, and 1 one star rating. Guess who give them one star Dennis? That person did not rate them based on their intended use but rather on some misinformation he had gathered on those being particularly good birding glasses. What a hoot!

I tried them on some bugs and the overall quality did not impress me. I am glad you like them but it is not going to change my opinion. Everybody has a different opinion. I think they are a CPOS. I think alot of the people that rated them never had a really good binocular to compare them with. Most of the people have probably never spent more than $100.00 on binoculars. They were very dim and they had a very shallow focus. I looked at some birds with them and I went UGH! They went back to Amazon the next day.

Last edited:
I'm sure that everyone of those 58 folks have never used decent optics. However I know at least one of them besides you have looked though Sightrons. ;)

Dennis, you have a right to be wrong.:t:

Last edited:
I tried them on some bugs and the overall quality did not impress me. I am glad you like them but it is not going to change my opinion. Everybody has a different opinion. I think they are a CPOS. I think alot of the people that rated them never had a really good binocular to compare them with. Most of the people have probably never spent more than $100.00 on binoculars. They were very dim and they had a very shallow focus. I looked at some birds with them and I went UGH! They went back to Amazon the next day.

Dennis
You crack me up with all this garbage you spew out like some sick frat kid. You need to get that memory checked too, as the facts generally prove you wrong. Do you remember back in the spring when we were comparing compacts? Wasn't it a 6.5x21 you had and not an 8.5x21? How can you post the kind of review and comments you did on Amazon after posting the following here in our own forums? The only thing I find consistent about you and your reviews is the total lack of any kind of consistency or reason.

Posted by [email protected] on April 28, 2011
I got the Pentax Papilio's 6.5x21 today so I compared them to the Olympus 8x25's and found some small differences but mostly they are pretty close being both reverse porro-prism binoculars. The Papilio's definitely seem higher quality with a smoother focus and a nice rubber armour sheathing protecting the binocular. The nice thing of course about the Papilio's are there bigger FOV @396 feet but that is to be expected with 6.5x magnification and their close focus of 1.6 feet is awesome for butterflies and bugs. The optics on the two are very close or in other words they are both excellent. The Papilio's have a little nicer case and strap I would say but the Olympus's are fine. The Olympus 8x25's are $50.00 and the Papilio's are $80.00. I would say for a bargain basement value the Olympus deliver a similar view. They both weigh about 10 oz. which is very nice to carry in the field let me tell you. I am getting hooked on these little reverse porro prism binoculars. They deliver a beautiful view for very little money. Either one is better than any of the alpha roofs being more comfortable to use and just as sharp and a little brighter. Amazing little binoculars.

Posted by [email protected] on March 26, 2011
That's a good price on that Papillo! Wow! $69.00. Those have pretty good optics.

Perhaps you would like to remember some more of your "reviews' before you stick that other foot in your mouth as usual. Anything else you need me to remember the facts for you on, before the Alzheimers sets in too bad ?;)

Tom

"You can fool some of the people some of the time"

Last edited:
Dennis
You crack me up with all this garbage you spew out like some sick frat kid. You need to get that memory checked too, as the facts generally prove you wrong. Do you remember back in the spring when we were comparing compacts? Wasn't it a 6.5x21 you had and not an 8.5x21? How can you post the kind of review and comments you did on Amazon after posting the following here in our own forums? The only thing I find consistent about you and your reviews is the total lack of any kind of consistency or reason.

Perhaps you would like to remember some more of your "reviews' before you stick that other foot in your mouth as usual. Anything else you need me to remember the facts for you on, before the Alzheimers sets in too bad ?;)

Tom

"You can fool some of the people some of the time"

The 6.5x proved to little magnification for me so I sent them back and got the 8.5x21's. I compared them to the Nikon Prostaff's 8x25's and found the Nikon's to be much better quality especially for birding. That's when I posted my review. I don't post everything I do my friend on Bird Forum so your baloney you just spewed up above is just based on assumptions. The Sightron's are over $100.00 so why are you even on this thread? I thought your limit for binoculars was $100.00? Aren't you the bargain basement expert?

Last edited:
Dennis how can you post this

I got the Pentax Papilio's 6.5x21 today so I compared them to the Olympus 8x25's and found some small differences but mostly they are pretty close being both reverse porro-prism binoculars. The Papilio's definitely seem higher quality with a smoother focus and a nice rubber armour sheathing protecting the binocular. The nice thing of course about the Papilio's are there bigger FOV @396 feet but that is to be expected with 6.5x magnification and their close focus of 1.6 feet is awesome for butterflies and bugs. The optics on the two are very close or in other words they are both excellent. The Papilio's have a little nicer case and strap I would say but the Olympus's are fine. The Olympus 8x25's are $50.00 and the Papilio's are $80.00. I would say for a bargain basement value the Olympus deliver a similar view. They both weigh about 10 oz. which is very nice to carry in the field let me tell you. I am getting hooked on these little reverse porro prism binoculars. They deliver a beautiful view for very little money. Either one is better than any of the alpha roofs being more comfortable to use and just as sharp and a little brighter. Amazing little binoculars.

and then call them "junk" on amazon? Most people there challenged you along with me before I knew you here. What are you trying to accomplish? Are you at all trying to help others evaluate optical products or is it something slightly more sinister and self absorbed? As I told you on Amazon you have lost your credibility.

Last edited:
bc,

My suggestion....don't get worked up about it. Dennis tends to follow this type of scenario with many of the binoculars he has purchased. Trying to argue the point with him will prove fruitless.

Just let it go. ;)

bc,

My suggestion....don't get worked up about it. Dennis tends to follow this type of scenario with many of the binoculars he has purchased. Trying to argue the point with him will prove fruitless.

Just let it go. ;)

I'm not worked up Frank, I don't take this stuff that seriously. However I'm sure you are correct about trying to reason with Dennis. I just won't bother with what he has to say in the future. He may know a lot technically about optics but he seems emotionally so unstable that he cannot utilize it in making intelligent/rational appraisals of optical quality.

I did however share that positive review over at Amazon where he called them "junk". :king:

Last edited:
I'm not worked up Frank, I don't take this stuff that seriously. However I'm sure you are correct about trying to reason with Dennis. I just won't bother with what he has to say in the future. He may know a lot technically about optics but he seems emotionally so unstable that he cannot utilize it in making intelligent/rational appraisals of optical quality.

I did however share that positive review over at Amazon where he called them "junk". :king:

Gimme a break! BlackCrow. I think the problem is your not intelligent enough to understand what I am saying and you don't have enough experience with optics to even be arguing with me.

Especially when the argument is illogical and has no grounds and reasoning behind it. If I don't like a binocular that is my opinion. When somebody owns that binocular they start defending it like it is their kid. Heh, we can have different opinions. That's what this forum is for. I am entitled to change my opinion over time also as binoculars change and my views and experiences change.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back