• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alan Hale's Sport Optics (1 Viewer)

kkokkolis

Περίεργο&#
Alan Hale's Sport Optics is a nice book for 4.91€ at Googleplay store. Hale was the CEO of Celestron and an amateur birder, astronomer etc. The included info are entry level mostly but I like to have them concentrated in one place.
I would like to know about a more advanced book dealing with sport optics history or technology. I have red many astronomy amd astronomy optics books but can't find equivalents about sport optics, other than that Hale's introductory book.

Alan Hale's Sport Optics is a nice book for 4.91€ at Googleplay store. Hale was the CEO of Celestron and an amateur birder, astronomer etc. The included info are entry level mostly but I like to have them concentrated in one place.
I would like to know about a more advanced book dealing with sport optics history or technology. I have red many astronomy amd astronomy optics books but can't find equivalents about sport optics, other than that Hale's introductory book.

If you happen to understand some German language, then perhaps my book on Handferngläser would be the right thing for you.

It is unfortunate that I still haven't got any translation into English. Though one publisher seems to be interested, they first need a couple of chapters translated for an evaluation. But I just don't have enough time for that, since I am currently working on the second German edition. Well, maybe after that second edition is done (perhaps after spring next year), then I may find some time to focus on the English edition.

Cheers,
Holger

If you happen to understand some German language, then perhaps my book on Handferngläser would be the right thing for you.

It is unfortunate that I still haven't got any translation into English. Though one publisher seems to be interested, they first need a couple of chapters translated for an evaluation. But I just don't have enough time for that, since I am currently working on the second German edition. Well, maybe after that second edition is done (perhaps after spring next year), then I may find some time to focus on the English edition.

Cheers,
Holger

Holger:

If you do get the translation into English, I and many others will
buy your book.

Jerry

Unfortunately I don't speak German. You SHOULD translate the second edition in English since such books are missing from international literature. You'll also multiply sales this way. So make the 2nd edition thorough and loaded with information and then translate it immediately.
If you haven't already done so, put loads of historical data about German and Austrian binoculars please in your book.
Alan Hale's book is translated in German also by the way.

The best books I've ever read about optics (my own not counting but that one is in Dutch) are from Hans Seeger and Holger Merlitz.
Here are some titles:
Hans Seeger; German Military Technology The Optical Equipment ISBN 3-00-001589-2.
Hans Seeger: Feldstecher edition Bresser Optik.
Hans Seeger: Military binoculars and telescopes....ISBN 3-00-00457-2.
Hans Seeger: Handferngläser 1894-1919 volume I, ISBN 3-00-031440-7.
Hans Seeger: Handferngläser 1919-1946 volume II, ISBN 978-3-00-049464-2.

These five books are 3000 pages (and thousends of photo's) all about Zeiss and others.

Fred Watson: Binoculars ISBN 0-7478-0292-0.
Richard Dunn: The telescope ISBN 9781844861477.
James Mullaney: Buyers and users guide ISBN 1-84628-439-2.
Brin Best: Binoculars and people ISBN978-1-904841-03-6.
Robert Forslund: Swedish military binoculars.
Leif Robinson, Optics ISBN 1-55821-065-2.
Huib Zuidervaart (and others): The origins of the telescope ISBN 9879069846156.
Elrich Zeun: Monoculars ISBN 978-3-95631-073-7 (almost 500 pages and thousends of pictures).

This read will keep you occupied for the coming decade;);)

Jan

Last edited:

Well, let the attached get you started on learning about sports optics and binos.

Bill

Attachments

• 140418 David Pearsall Bushnell.docx
    32.3 KB · Views: 264
The best books I've ever read about optics (my own not counting but that one is in Dutch) are from Hans Seeger and Holger Merlitz.
Here are some titles:
Hans Seeger; German Military Technology The Optical Equipment ISBN 3-00-001589-2.
Hans Seeger: Feldstecher edition Bresser Optik.
Hans Seeger: Military binoculars and telescopes....ISBN 3-00-00457-2.
Hans Seeger: Handferngläser 1894-1919 volume I, ISBN 3-00-031440-7.
Hans Seeger: Handferngläser 1919-1946 volume II, ISBN 978-3-00-049464-2.

These five books are 3000 pages (and thousends of photo's) all about Zeiss and others.

Fred Watson: Binoculars ISBN 0-7478-0292-0.
Richard Dunn: The telescope ISBN 9781844861477.
James Mullaney: Buyers and users guide ISBN 1-84628-439-2.
Brin Best: Binoculars and people ISBN978-1-904841-03-6.
Robert Forslund: Swedish military binoculars.
Leif Robinson, Optics ISBN 1-55821-065-2.
Huib Zuidervaart (and others): The origins of the telescope ISBN 9879069846156.
Elrich Zeun: Monoculars ISBN 978-3-95631-073-7 (almost 500 pages and thousends of pictures).

This read will keep you occupied for the coming decade;);)

Jan

Thanks for the flowers, Jan!

Hans Seeger's latest book is most amazing,

Hans Seeger: Zeiss Handferngläser 1919-1946 volume II, ISBN 978-3-00-049464-2.

Mostly in German, but that doesn't matter much, since there are almost 3000 pictures of vintage binoculars which make the bulk of the book. Most of them from Zeiss, though some other interesting samples are discussed, too.

Cheers,
Holger

Thank you. I'm going to start from Brin Best's book. That's what I'm interested for, people/optics relation and interaction.
Regarding the collectors' books, most are for military and other porros I see. I particularly like small afterwar porros (6x30-7x35) but mostly roofs from the '60s to today.

Brin Best's book is excellent. It is clear that he has a fascination with binoculars and the relationship people have with them.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back