• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Harness for Canon 10x42 IS L (1 Viewer)

bdg1

Seeking recommendations for over the chest Binocular harness to carry Canon 10x42 IS L on hiking and backpacking trips.

I really love my Rick Young Ultra Light harnesses.....I have used one while backpacking with my Nikon SE and Swaro Habicht. And use it exclusively in normal use. I works great while wearing a backpack and weighs only 1oz unlike your binos. ;)
If you use a chest strap on your backpack, make sure the top straps of the RY harness are over the top of your chest strap.
I would not really want to carry a 2.5lb binocular on serious Hiking or Backpacking trip though :eek!:

I really love my Rick Young Ultra Light harnesses.....I have used one while backpacking with my Nikon SE and Swaro Habicht. And use it exclusively in normal use. I works great while wearing a backpack and weighs only 1oz unlike your binos. ;)
If you use a chest strap on your backpack, make sure the top straps of the RY harness are over the top of your chest strap.
I would not really want to carry a 2.5lb binocular on serious Hiking or Backpacking trip though :eek!:

thanks, I'm looking at buying this from oregonpackworks. I try to cut weight on my backpacking gear and can afford another extra pound for quality optics :)
http://www.oregonpackworks.com/products/binobro-the-binocular-pack

thanks, I'm looking at buying this from oregonpackworks. I try to cut weight on my backpacking gear and can afford another extra pound for quality optics :)
http://www.oregonpackworks.com/products/binobro-the-binocular-pack

Not to be a wet blanket, but the Canon is heavy and the Rick Young is tough but very thin.
You may find that your shoulders rebel as the straps dig into them.

My suggestion would be to get an OpTech utility strap. The Canon will attach to both connectors, so it is more secure than with an end to end type strap.
Sling that over one shoulder so the Canon hangs to your side. It is a wide strap and flexible, much easier on the body than a tight string.
If that does not please, then maybe a backpack attachment for the Canon would be minimal weight and bulk.

I occasionally carry my 10x42 IS L on a Rick Young, but find the non-elastic (they make both) bino harness from Op/Tech to be a bit more comfortable for that much weight. That being said, I would not use either harness for the Canon, if I had to wear it literally the entire day. For all day use, I would probably get a Kuiu harness.

Not to be a wet blanket, but the Canon is heavy and the Rick Young is tough but very thin.
You may find that your shoulders rebel as the straps dig into them.

My suggestion would be to get an OpTech utility strap. The Canon will attach to both connectors, so it is more secure than with an end to end type strap.
Sling that over one shoulder so the Canon hangs to your side. It is a wide strap and flexible, much easier on the body than a tight string.
If that does not please, then maybe a backpack attachment for the Canon would be minimal weight and bulk.

IMO utility sling won't work well when wearing a backpack with hip belts. I placed an order for Binobros carry pouch.

IMO utility sling won't work well when wearing a backpack with hip belts. I placed an order for Binobros carry pouch.

Hi bdg1, think you are quite right, if a backpack is involved, it gets more complicated, so I'd better defer to more experienced users. A carry pouch may well be the right choice when a big backpack is over the shoulders. .
I've been lucky and have been able to get by with a daypack only, which is quite compatible with a utility sling.

Last edited:
Update on Binobro's Harness: I took the Canon 10x42 IS and Binobro harness on a week long trip. In Summary:

Pros:
- The Harness is minimalist lightweight and size Large fits Canon 10x42 IS snugly.
- It takes a bit to get used to the strapping mechanism, but it really works well. I took on short hikes, bicycle rides and on the boat and felt comfortable carrying the bino's and didn't find any fatigue. But again I have yet to try this on a extended trips like all day backpacking where you hike for 5-8 hrs.

Cons:
They could improve the design by making it easy to synch the webbing/strap and tuck the loose webbing.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back