• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a Medow Pipit ? (1 Viewer)

highworth

Is this a Meadow Pipit ?

We are just getting into birding, although we have taken pictures over the past few years but this one we can't identify. It was seen last year on 29th May at Fenstanton Cambridgeshire UK. Sorry about the image quality but this is all we got. It was taken with a Canon EOS 350D with the 18-55mm kit lens @55mm, 1/250, f11.0, 200 ASA. I have cropped the original image and used an unsharp mask on it. Hopefully it will be instantly recognizable, as our attempts using descriptions and pictures always seem to need bits we cant see on this picture, like the tail or legs!

Thanks
John and Denise

not sure, not a meadow pipit (unless melanistic), but a stap in the dark, purhaps ring ouzel, imature???? really don't know?

Hi John and Denise.

Definately not a Ring Ouzel, or Meadow Pipit.

It looks like a very wet juvenile Pied Wagtail to me.

I'm probably wrong though. Wait for our learn'ed friends.

Sean F said:
Hi John and Denise.

Definately not a Ring Ouzel, or Meadow Pipit.

It looks like a very wet juvenile Pied Wagtail to me.

I'm probably wrong though. Wait for our learn'ed friends.

Seconded Sean

Thanks to everyone for identifying this for us. Its something that we would never have recognised from books, none of ours give many juvenile birds in and we certainly wouldn't have thought of looking at pied wagtail.

Thanks again

John and Denise

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back