• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Thread (1 Viewer)

am very impressed with the nightjars, such a difficult bird to sketch with its nocturnal habits. The jizz is spot on.

It is in fact the entire female reproductive system, as an ovary looks like a bleached walnut and would make the picture look silly. I agree it looks like a wildebeest, was a little drunk when making the picture and was slightly perturbed by this 'thing' staring at me with its menacing fallopian tubes ready to charge.

It is in fact the entire female reproductive system, as an ovary looks like a bleached walnut and would make the picture look silly. I agree it looks like a wildebeest, was a little drunk when making the picture and was slightly perturbed by this 'thing' staring at me with its menacing fallopian tubes ready to charge.
gets me like that on a regular basis, nick!

Andrew - totally wonderful work. I'll simply add my wholehearted praise for your superb draughtsmanship and an extremely keen eye. The stuff of genius, really.
As Alan so rightly says, your colourwork speaks for itself - difficult to comment on the peregrine painting when my jaw's on the keyboard - great work!!!

Here's a link about a current exhibition I have going.

http://www.wwt.org.uk/article/228/376/images_illustrate_the_wonder_of_nature.html

Pleased with the write up but a bit miffed about being referred to as an illustrator, suppose it goes with the territory.
Oh - nice write-up Alan (and the rail's one of the funniest I've seen). All the bloody best old boy (like the alliteration?).
(Just noticed where you live - I'm sure I did an external panel for Thornley - some wetland site with a hide - lovely part of the world!)
Don't get hung up about the illustrator motif - Sally always berates me becuse I still refer to myself as an illustrator "You're supposed to be a bloody ARTIST, now!!!" - she quietly suggests.

Here's a link about a current exhibition I have going.

http://www.wwt.org.uk/article/228/376/images_illustrate_the_wonder_of_nature.html

Pleased with the write up but a bit miffed about being referred to as an illustrator, suppose it goes with the territory.

I just had a browse over my lunchtime sandwich and I do like the kites...

http://www.clikpic.com/amould/gallery_38200.html

Yours seems a really apt medium/method to render birds in a modern environment like that.

Art...Illustration...Craft? Whatever..

You are a very talented person Alan - I,ve just been on your website. All the best for your exhibition. Love the kites - we are a bit spoiled around S Wales I hope their introduction in your parts will be as successful as its been here. I have yet to attempt to paint one but have some pretty good photos - must give it a go.

Thanks for all the kind words folks, let you know how it goes.

Tim, that's uncanny, will check out the panels at Shibdon Pond and Far Pasture, our two wetland sites to see if your work is there, and you're right it is a beautiful area, not truly wild like the Orkneys but a plethora of wildlife on my doorstep (literally, I have a hedgehog with two hoglets nesting in the greenhouse at the mo, aaah)

dryslwyn, Kites are fantastic, they forage over the gardens in our village daily and we can't go anywhere locally without seeing some, just waiting for news on the nesting for this year, lots of nests dotted around but don't yet know how much damage the rain has done.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back