• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Action vs Action Extreme (1 Viewer)

black crow

I was recently at the Sportsmans Warehouse in Oregon and the guy behind the counter told me that the Action Extreme has better optics than the non WP Actions. I frankly didn't believe him but haven't had the opportunity to look through both to compare. Can anyone here address this question?

I'm still toying with getting some big ol 10x porros for the deck and star gazing. So on the same subject of optics has anyone had a chance to compare the Nikon 10x50 against the Brunton 10x50? Someone recommended the Brunton as optically excellent and they are WP at about the same price as the non WP Nikon Action.

BC,

At one point I did have the current incarnation of both the 7x35 Action and Action EX in my hands at the same time. From what I remember the Action EX has better eye relief. The Action gave me a sense of better depth of field. Now before the binocular gurus go on to remind me that binoculars of the same magnification can't have different depth of field then let me rephrase my comment...

The Action had an optical design that allowed the flexibility of my eyes to give the perception of better depth of field.

Better?

;)

Seriously, the Action EX might have a slightly larger sweet spot. It was difficult to tell because of the shorter eye relief of the Actions.

It seems strange that they would use different optics in basically the same binocular. Difference being one is WP and the other is not.

I've had both and preferred the EX model. It seemed more robust, sharper, brighter, better focus, and nicer to hold. I regretted selling my 7x35 EX, and the prices have doubled since!

The best reviews that I've found on comparison of the Action and Action EX models would be on the Cloudy Nights Forum, subforum, binoculars. If you look under the mini-reviews, they should have some things to explain the differences.
The Action EX is a bit better all around.

Jerry

Thanks.

I guess no one else has used the Bruntons. Another poster here said they are quite good optically and better than the Sightron equivalent Porro.

OK folks, I called Nikon as asked their tech support if there is any difference optically between the Action and Action Extreme they stated emphatically that there is absolutely no difference between the optics in either.

So for those of you who noticed a difference......

OK folks, I called Nikon as asked their tech support if there is any difference optically between the Action and Action Extreme they stated emphatically that there is absolutely no difference between the optics in either.

I would lend more credence to the posters on the forum than the "technicians" at Nikon USA when it comes to any differences in the binoculars. I'm a big Nikon fan (have over 9 models of their premium porros and love them all) but every time I've had to talk with a "tech" person here in the States I come away shaking my head. I've had them tell me things about their binoculars/parts that I know for a fact are wrong.

As mentioned above check out the binocular reviews over on Cloudy Nights, if I remember correctly Edz himself reviewed both of the models your interested in.

Steve

Not to say I don't believe you but from observation of reviews there is a lot of subjectivity going on. I've heard it said here and other forums and reviews that the Action has the better optics and also that the Action Extreme has better optics? It might be quite likely that sample variation has more to do with this than any real differences in optical build. Just sayin...

Maybe (i assume they are made in Sheena) the quality changes depending of the batches as they are entry quality binoculars.
What about you could buy one day a great well made action vii, and the next month you get a bad made one with mediocre optics quality?
Could be possible. 80% of time, cheaper means less quality-controled products.

Not to say I don't believe you but from observation of reviews there is a lot of subjectivity going on. I've heard it said here and other forums and reviews that the Action has the better optics and also that the Action Extreme has better optics? It might be quite likely that sample variation has more to do with this than any real differences in optical build. Just sayin...

Very true, especially when you consider where they are being manufactured.
Chinese quality control is the perfect example of an oxymoron in my opinion.

Steve

I wonder why I noticed a difference in the glare and veiling glare control between the two, kept the Actions and sold the EX's and replaced them with some 12x50 Bushnell Legends. Also noticed some other difference in the several months I had them both, but I guess thats just me and Harvey;)

At optics forum they said the Ex's were optically superior.

Well... which is it??:C

I learned some time back to rely on my eyes to look and analyze, rather than merely read how things appear thru the eyes of others. I could look at all the Binocular review charts that people keep posting and chose to believe them, or merely look thru the multitude of binos I have or have had, to determine what I want to believe. Just as you believe the 6.5x32 Fury is such a great bino, I chose the 6.5x32 Meopro instead, after testing both for weeks.

Having 7 pairs of good 8x30/32's on hand, I have followed the Sightron and Theron posts with some interest, and wondered how these binos could be so dramatically better than some I have on hand. After sitting on the fence post for quite a while, I went ahead and recently ordered up some 8x32 & 10x32 Sightrons, the 8x32 Theron LT's and a couple of other binos.

The first thing that went thru my mind upon taking the 8x32 Sightrons out of the case was that I wondered if I just opened a box of Crackerjacks and won a prize.;) I'll post my optical impressions later after more testing.

Tom

The first thing that went thru my mind upon taking the 8x32 Sightrons out of the case was that I wondered if I just opened a box of Crackerjacks and won a prize.;) I'll post my optical impressions later after more testing.

Tom

Very funny Tom! Not sure what the meaning behind it is, but I like it. One of the best comments I've read in awhile! 8-P

Rick

When I grew up, every box of Crackerjacks had a small toy wrapped inside - I assume they still do, but haven't bought any in quite a while.

Realistically, I am keeping an open mind as the optics are quite good, but they are so small and lightweight that I was having trouble holding them steady in my initial round of testing. Since the 8x32 Theron LT's are heavier and also got good reviews, I figured I'd add them to the testing process, but haven't received them yet. I like to do extensive A/B/C/D ing over about 2 weeks to make sure Captain Morgan hasn't got my eyes at half mast on any given day.

I learned some time back to rely on my eyes to look and analyze, rather than merely read how things appear thru the eyes of others.

Maybe the best piece of advice I've seen here.

I like to think of the Sightrons as "compacts".:t:

and

Just as you believe the 6.5x32 Fury is such a great bino,

I believe it is a great bino at the $130 I paid for it. I think you might agree with that.

Last edited:
At optics forum they said the Ex's were optically superior.

Well... which is it??:C

Crow:

I just spent a few minutes on Cloudy Nights, Bin. subforum, Check the mini-reviews, scroll down to the Nikons. The 10x50 Action is reviewed by EdZ.
He is an expert in this field, check out what his views are, lots of discussion also on the Action EX.
I am thinking the EX is better, I have the 12x50 EX, and I also have or have had several other Action models.
Read and learn, probably no better reviews, that I can think of on these.;)
The astro guys are very fussy, and a great resource.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back