• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New member from Belgium (1 Viewer)

dddegr

Hi, I'm Dirk, a new member from Belgium.
I got introduced to the site by another member (erwin) with whom I did a lot of birdwatching many years ago. I have to admit that after getting married and having 3 small children, the birdwatching has suffered somewhat....
These days, it limited to a couple of birdwatching trips a year. Although the birdwatching never really stops. Even when you drive to work or go cycling with the family, there's plenty of birds to see everywhere.

A few years ago, I spent 3 years living in St Louis, Missouri. This gave a new boost to my birdwatching and we had some great family vacations / birding trips in the US (Florida, Louisiana, Arizona, Nevada, California). I'm also fortunate to be able to travel regularly on business to some great places like Singapore, Malaysia, Japan, and Brazil. Eventhough time is usually limited, I never leave without my binoculars !

Welcome.. I too and a regular combiner of work trips and birding... been known for me to stop mid sentence... pick up some bins... say excuse me, and ID an Arctic Warbler, or a Pied Triller, in the middle of a meeting. Fortunatley eccentricity is an advantage in my business!

Hi Dirk and on behalf of the entire staff here at Bird Forum, a very warm welcome to you.

Birding opportunities seem to present themselves endlessly. I guess that's one of the reasons I love it so much. Sounds like you do a good bit of traveling which is always a neat adventure when you are looking for different birds. Enjoy yourself here.

Hi Dirk

On behalf of all the Admin Staff and Moderators let me welcome you to BirdForum.

I hope you will enjoy your time with us, and share your birding expereinces, whether "official" or "unofficial"!

Tervetuloa to Birdforum, Dirk. I also have noticed that family reduces birding time - but now I keep lifelist to my twoyear daughter ;) . Few years ago we spent one year in Louisiana, and got almost as large lifelist as lifetime in Finland...

Louisiana Ibis ?

Hi, Karwin,

since you lived in Louisiana, you may be able to help out with something that has been nagging me for a while. When I was visiting New Orleans a few years ago, I made a birding trip along the coast all the way to the Texan border. I saw a lot of dark Ibisses, but I was really unable to determine whether they were Glossy Ibis or White-Faced. My birdguide showed that Louisiana is at the edge of the range for these 2 species. Do the 2 species really both occur in this area ?

Thanks !

dddegr said:
I was really unable to determine whether they were Glossy Ibis or White-Faced. My birdguide showed that Louisiana is at the edge of the range for these 2 species. Do the 2 species really both occur in this area ?
Yes they do, but all specimen I managed to identify were Plegadis chihi - I still haven't P falcinellus on my lifelist. -Here are some LA members in BF, Peachfront at least.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back