• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching in Straits of Gibraltar & La Janda (1 Viewer)

Car Hire.....

That story beggar's belief. In my very early visits I used Europcar, but got fed up with them when they insisted on the car returning with a full tank, trying to charge me €40 when it was clearly over half full once, I demanded the keys and went off to fill it up, cost €16.

In recent years at Malaga, I have always used Malagacar.com - they never make extra charges. and have been very understanding - even when I have bent the cars (a bit) and even though one of them was not insured for the extra (it was about €8 a day, so I declined) another car was broken into, and earlier, in the same car, someone reversed into me on a garage forecourt. It was admittedly a well used car - one that I was given when I turned up a day late and they didn't have any but the guy just found this old jalopy and let me have it (it was at about 1 in the morning, and he felt sorry for me). Last time we went to Gib and I used another company, like you on our return the girl came out and had a quick look then said fine. Never heard from them again.

This 'extra' cleaning is a con - all the cars are valeted and put through the car wash anyway. The cars I hire have always been spotless, but look pretty well used when I return them (too many dirt tracks!)

For several years now I've been using Do You Spain as agents for car hire on my frequent visits to the various parts of Spain. In the past they have seemed to fit the bill and they helped out a couple of years ago when RecordGo included a clause in the small print that meant that their car, although on 'unlimited mileage' hire had to be returned after 2000km for a replacement, otherwise an exorbitant charge of 2 or 3 euros would be levied per km over the 2,000. I had already slightly over-run the 2000 on a three week hire when a friend with a car from the same company drew it to my attention. The fact that my digs were 150km from the airport made the problem even more worrying.

I think I mentioned it on this thread at the time.

Well something has changed, it seems. Last August/September I used Do You Spain again for my three week hire as usual, but I hired a larger car this time - a Doblo - to take advantage of the sliding rear passenger doors. When I returned it to the hire company, Marbesol, just outside Malaga airport at the end of the three weeks I was quite pleased that the interior of the car was cleaner than on previous visits. The car design meant that less dust was sucked in through open windows than usual, particularly since my holiday digs was a farm cottage at the end of a 500m track. The exterior of the car wasn't in too bad a state either, especially for a long hire. Photo below just before I set off for the airport.

On that month's credit card statement I was puzzled that a deduction had been made without explanation by Marbesol - only £17 and a bit, but I wanted to know why. I got in touch with Do You Spain and asked for an explanation. After two or three weeks they got back to me saying that it had been 20 Euros for 'additional cleaning'.

I replied, giving them photos of the car and demanded that the unauthorised payment be repaid. It wasn't the 17 quid - it was the principle. They got back onto Marbesol, but they weren't budging. They even claimed that the payment couldn't have been unauthorised, since these things were always brought to the customer's attention at the time. This in itself was a downright lie - when I handed the keys back their operator looked around the car, took the mileage and said 'That's fine'. I then stood for several minutes next to the door of their office cabin waiting for their minibus - nothing else was said. We left thinking that was that.

Emails have bounced back and forward for over two months. Today I've had yet another email from Do You Spain. Saying that Marbesol are refusing to stump up. They are also apparently of the opinion that the dispute is nothing to do with them, even though they are the hire agent. This is what they say this morning;

'Thank you for your kind patience.

We have received a final reply from Marbesol. According to what they say the cleaning charge is an issue between the customer and the rental company and the charge is made directly in front of the customer. Therefore, as they say, they don't need proof of the condition of the car as the customer is informed at that moment and knows how the car was returned.

We apologize for any inconvenience but unfortunately the rental company will not make any refund.

Kind regards
Irene Felguera
DoYouSpain.com
'

I'm posting this as a warning for anyone who is thinking of using Marbesol at any time for their hires. And also as a warning not to expect any protection from Do You Spain in the event that their hire company falls below the standard expected.

Thanks for this I will put a warning in the next 'edition' of my birding notes. I'm disappointed with 'Do You Spain' as I have always found them very helpful in such situations - however, I guess that if the supplier won't budge then there not a lot they can do beyond the 'nuclear option' of not dealing with them at all. Either way you're still probably better off goinf through an agent than not at all.

After coming to a dead end with the car hire complaint I decided to let the bank know what was going on, just to keep them informed and I let Do You Spain know that I had done so. As I said above I wasn't bothered about the 20 euros, it was the principle.

This was Do You Spain's response;

'If you have started a dispute throgh your bank or credit card company I am afraid we won't be able to help you further. From now on the rental company will only deal with them and not with us.

Do not hesitate to contact us again should you have any further questions or comments.'

The bank phoned me back yesterday and I told them I had email records of what had gone on. They didn't seem bothered about it and they told me that as the sum involved was less than £50 it would be refunded without question. Perhaps it is this reaction that the scammers in the car hire business are relying on, plus the reluctance of people to complain about trivial sums (supposing they noticed in the first place).

At least I have the consolation of knowing that the bank has been provided with the information, so that in the future if they decide to get off their backsides and do something about these frauds I might have contributed in some small way to help stop them.

I'm not long back from our trip to southern Spain so here's a quick update on what we saw during our visit to Cadiz province and adjacent areas.

After a late afternoon arrival on Monday, we started Tuesday in superb winter sunshine at Laguna Fuente de Piedra. A large flock of greenfinches feeding on the dried mud next to the shallow pools on the approach to the car park also held a few Spanish and Rock Sparrows, with other birds in the same general area including Wryneck, Hoopoe and a few Woodlark. The deeper pool near the visitor centre held a sleeping drake White-headed Duck among other waterbirds and was also the feeding area for a solitary House Martin. The Laguna itself held a reasonable amount of water but relatively few flamingos, with no more than 100 present and none that we could turn into Lesser Flamingos. We saw a flock of 100 or so Cranes land in the fields to the north of the Laguna, but our attempts to get closer views were unsuccessful. A circuit of the laguna added Stone Curlew to our list but little else.

Our next stop was the gorge at Teba. This proved to be a rather more picturesque location to see Blue Rock Thrush than a Cotswold housing estate. Other birds present included Black Wheatear, Chough and Griffon Vulture, but our most unexpected sighting was a fine Spanish Festoon butterfly. We then headed for our accommodation for the next two nights at Alcala de los Gazules, where, appropriately enough, our last bird of the day was a fine male Lesser Kestrel as we unloaded the car.

The next day was exceptionally cold and windy so we didn't venture far from the car during our exploration of La Janda. Our exploration was limited to the area north of the big sluice gate thanks to a particularly wet, muddy and rutted stretch of track that we thought better of taking the car over. Nonetheless we managed a good selection of birds, including two Black-shouldered Kites, a ringtail Hen Harrier, a flock of around thirty Stone Curlew, as well as a few Spoonbills, Purple Swamphens, Bluethroats and a single Squacco Heron.

A visit to the Marismas de Barbate didn't add anything to our list, although a distant ringtail harrier which looked very small when in direct comparison with a Marsh Harrier looked intriguing. We finished the day with a stop at La Barca de Vejer to admire the Bald Ibis on the cliffs there.

The cold, windy weather continued the next day and it was certainly too cold and exposed at Chipiona for anything more than a brisk walk along the prom to the lighthouse and back. This proved surprisingly productive, with new birds including a fly-by Grey Phalarope, Great Skua, Sandwich Tern and a good scatter of Med. Gulls. Given the weather however, we assumed that, resident or not, any self-respecting Little Swifts would be seeking refuge in warmer climes; there were certainly none visible while we were there.

Moving inland along the Guadalquavir estuary we didn't hang around at the Bonanza Pools. Although they produced close views of White-headed Duck and Purple Swamphen it's not the most attractive of sites. In contrast, the Laguna de Tarelo proved to be a much more appealing place. A swarm of hirundines feeding at the surface was dominated by House Martins, with smaller numbers of Crag Martins and Barn Swallows and a single Sand Martin also present. The trees on the north side of the laguna held at least 80 Night Herons; two smart Penduline Tits fed in the reeds in front of us and our first Booted Eagle of the trip drifted overhead. The highlight came when at first one, then two, then eventually a total of eight Little Swifts appeared and fed above our heads.

Our last stop on our way north was the pools at the northern edge of the Guadalquivir marshes. Here, a pale duck roosting on the shore of one of the islands removed its head from under its wing for long enough to confirm our suspected ID as a Marbled Duck.

All in all, a successful start to our trip with me gaining two lifers in the space of a couple of hours; it's been a long time since I managed that in Europe. Thanks to all on this thread who provided advice on likely sites for my wish-list species, particularly John Cantelo for all the work he has but into preparing and updating his essential Cadiz site guide.

Good stuff. That wind can be a b.....

Did you look in at the Laguna Dulce at Campillos? It's near Teba and often has good birds in winter. I stopped there once when there was NO water at all and a flock of 150 or so Little Bustards circled in to roost! This was at about 4pm as dusk was setting in.

Thanks to all on this thread who provided advice on likely sites for my wish-list species, particularly John Cantelo for all the work he has but into preparing and updating his essential Cadiz site guide.

Thanks, Stuart, for your kind endorsement - it's positive feedback like yours that keeps me going!

Good stuff. That wind can be a b.....

Did you look in at the Laguna Dulce at Campillos? It's near Teba and often has good birds in winter. I stopped there once when there was NO water at all and a flock of 150 or so Little Bustards circled in to roost! This was at about 4pm as dusk was setting in.

We did drive past Laguna Dulce, but it was completely dry so we didn't stop. This was in the middle of the day so hopefully we didn't miss any bustards.

After some days of me wondering where they all were, the honey buzzards were streaming in in their thousands this afternoon in unusually calm conditions on the Strait.

Spectacular!

I missed the best of the action yesterday.

The wind changed to Easterly after the almost calm westerly air of Saturday. It was just a light breath at Los Barrios, but when I got to Punta Comorro it was blowing a hoolie. Not much was happening with migration and I reasoned that maybe the birds were being blown in further up the coast. A short stay at La Pena gave us a small group of griffons and a few honey buzzards, but nothing to get excited about. Maybe they were further on. Punta Paloma - nowt. The wind there was much gentler. Maybe Saturday was all we were getting for the time being, so we decided to give La Janda a go.

What a mistake that was. The rice fields are still being tilled/seeded and are all bone dry. The place was birdless, apart from some very colourful cattle egrets at the nesting colony that made the illustrations in the field guides look drab. To cap it, when I got to the fields next to the potholed road between the turn off to Presa de Celemin and Benalup that had been so productive of waders, wagtails and ibises last year I found that they'd improved the drainage and there were no rice shoots, no pools, no waders, just bare soil.

Today I spent some time photographing a nearby bee eater colony before going down to the Strait. The weather was very similar to yesterday, calm at Los Barrios, half a gale at Tarifa. The difference as I was about to find out was that today there was no migration. After an hour or so at Comorro all that I saw coming in were a handful of griffins, one honey buzzard and a few black kites. The story was the same elsewhere, nothing at Sierra de la Plata, Punta Paloma or Los Lances. Everyone I spoke to was remarking on the absence of honeys.

The observers were puzzled.

They rubbed salt in my wounds when I was told that while I was wasting my time scanning soil at La Janda yesterday a thousand or so honey buzzards were coming in during the afternoon at Los Lances. Sod's Law.

Today's visit to Los Lances was perked up by my first ever sighting there of lesser-crested tern. My first on that beach after years of missing them, and only my second for Spain.

Last edited:
Nice gentle westerly breeze today and Punta Carnero looked the place to be. Light but steady movement late morning of black kites and a few honey buzzards, with a supplement of booted eagles. Just before midday these were replaced by groups of short-toed eagles and griffon vultures, which soon started coming in in good numbers. At 1pm it was still going well with griffons, short-toed eagles and a couple of Egyptian vultures. It was looking like the makings of a good afternoon.

Then it stopped.

Dead.

Conditions were perfect, if anything they were better than mid morning when cloud obscured the Moroccan coast and honey buzzards were coming in with the black kites. The clouds had gone, the sun was shining, the wind was light, yet there were no birds. The vagaries of migration.

A handful of booted eagles and a honey buzzard made up the entire count until I gave up defeated at 16.00 and went to photograph the lesser kestrel colony at San Isidro church at Los Barrios

The weather is due to change from tonight. Lots of cloud tomorrow and heavy showers including thunder storms are forecast on Thursday and Friday. That might cause a bottleneck that releases at the weekend. Good luck to those arriving, but I'll be off on Saturday. Roll on late August when I'm back for the return leg.

Last edited:
Visited La Janda yesterday. Slow going, but oddly productive! 4 Swamphens in various places 5 Spoonbills dotted about. About a million Cattle Egrets mostly in the colony along with a few nesting Gossy Ibis, of which more were in the now flooded fields. Several pairs of Blck-winged Stilts prospecting. Away over by the bridge near Benalup, a juv type Night Heron flew over. There were 3 Red-rumped Swallows there too. I drove up the track towards Facinas for a little way. Glad I did. At the top of the first hill a huge raptor turned out to be an adult Golden Eagle. Next up was what I'm pretty sure was a Long-legged Buzzard! Booted Eagle, Black Kite, Little Owl, Bee-eaters, Griffons. Stopped at the sluice at the eastern end of the Egret colony, and found a very obliging adult Night Heron. On the bridge at the other end of the colony, I met a small group in a 'Birding Tarifa' van who were good enough to point out the distant Black-shouldered Kite. Further along towards the Vejer road was a singing, but annoyingly unseen Great Reed Warbler.

One Transmitter laden Bald Ibis at Montenmedio. Anyone know who to report these to?

Pics when I get home. Which sadly is tomorrow.

Pictures of some of the birds seen on Friday.

Attachments

• swamphen.jpg
    swamphen.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 81
  • cattle egret.jpg
    cattle egret.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 66
  • glossy ibis.jpg
    glossy ibis.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 73
  • night heron.jpg
    night heron.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 85
  • bald ibis.jpg
    bald ibis.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 69
This is the new access, photo from May 2016. The exit towards Tarifa is equally luxurious.

Attachments

• 060-Cazalla-Watchpoint,-New-Access-800web.jpg
    060-Cazalla-Watchpoint,-New-Access-800web.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 153
Can anyone provide an update on access to the Cazalla watchpoint this year?

Dear Alf, you won't have any trouble to access Cazalla viewpoint AS LONG AS you drive in the direction from Algeciras to Tarifa.
Enjoy the high numbers of storks and black kites at the moment!
Alvaro Peral

Thanks all. We come from the Barbate direction ( I've done it many times before) so go along to the Estrecho mirador to turn around and avoid the attentions of the police.

Has the parking situation at Cazalla been affected at all and is access available at all times?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back