• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should I remove unsafe dove nest? (1 Viewer)

Zeblua

Just Curious
I was observing the doves in my yard and noticed that one had built her nest in a low hanging and weak branch. I watched nervously as the wind blew her around violently. I didn't feel it was right to disturb her, especially as this may be a valuable lesson to the bird. I never once saw her partner. A few days later I go out and see that she is gone. Her unhatched eggs are on the ground below the nest, in pieces. I feel terrible. It's been about a week, the nest is abandoned. I do not want other birds using this nest. Should I remove It? Maybe remove the entire branch? Did I do the right thing?
RnHUhIt.jpg

jCYzQrs.jpg

On the other hand, theres another beautiful dove couple that chose to nest in the palm tree. Much safer in my opinion.
JVzgi3L.jpg

Hi Zeblua, welcome to Bird Forum!
You did the right thing in not disturbing the bird. Doves are notorious for their cursory nests. The time they save on nest building they reinvest in raising more offspring. So lots of small broods rather than one big one, accepting that some get lost.
Let the nest remains stay. Small passerines don't reuse nests, so leaving the old one may actually be a bit of a deterrent.

Thanks so much for the response.
I'll leave it be, then.

Also, that explains why it looks more like a pile of sticks rather than a nest :'D

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back