• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large bird of prey; Castle Howard, North Yorkshire (1 Viewer)

AndyK

Spotted this bird whilst walking next to the ground of Castle Howard and am curious to know what it is, had a look on RSPB website but struggling to find anything similar! Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• b1.png
    b1.png
    158.7 KB · Views: 158
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 139
Spotted this bird whilst walking next to the ground of Castle Howard and am curious to know what it is, had a look on RSPB website but struggling to find anything similar! Thanks for your help!

It's a Lapwing (not a bird of prey)

thanks everyone, new to this so not much experience. Lapwing looks to have a long thin beak on pics I look at, this birds beak looks short & fat?

the angle makes the beak look different to other photos, lapwing's beak is short anyway. There is no way a birdwatcher can mistake a lapwing. Was it making lots of funny noises? it looks like it's in its display flight. They have a loud Peeeeeee- wit! call, nece the old name of Peewit.

Don't worry Andy - I had a mate who used to maintain the green at a golf course and he dragged me out one afternoon to check out this weird bird of prey that chased anything that moved and kept dive-bombing people...I didn't have a clue what he was describing until we chugged out there on a buggy - yep, lapwings! They get very defensive when nesting and make their wicked calls as Nick says, sounding a bit like a radio being tuned in!
PS You can't clear a sand bunker in a golf buggy.......

Thanks everyone. Yes it was definately making some strange noises, it was one of the main reasons for my curiosity!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back