• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sketches from Andrew Ellis (1 Viewer)

yes superb - the only thing wrong with the hobbies is that they need to be waved around a bit - I was watching a pair hunting on Sunday and no way did I manage to see these shapes - but I know that they are exactly as you've drawn them. Action and accuracy at an astonishingly high level.

Andrew has caught these stunning birds so well that i keep coming back to 'those drawings'...and i'm still gob-smacked...!!

O.K. Not strictly sketches but I thought I should post something so, here is a plate for
a book on the Peregrine I am working on . This plate is to show the variation of red in the
napes of some peregrines around the world. hope you like. I've just released it recently as a print as well.

Attachments

• Red-Napes-in-peregrines-web.jpg
    Red-Napes-in-peregrines-web.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 241
Tim, Nick , Phil, thanks again for your comments. This book does seem to be taking for ever to put together but We are getting there.

Phil, I'm glad you finished off "world class" with Artist!!!!:-O Hope you had a nice roll.

Should be some book Andrew. I love the strong since of gaze in each of these last drawings. You since that those big eyes are hard at work.

As with Donald 'Hen Harrier' Watson, in years to come your name will be synonimous with 'peregrine' and I'm certain this new publication will cement that bond - absolutely terrific work.

Really looking forward to the book, with art of this standard it'll be one to return to again and again.

Mike

Thanks everyone. Only posted these because I haven't had the chance to get out in the
field the last little while. Saw a big group of swifts over the house last night catching insects as the sun went down . Such a magical bird I will try and put something together of what I saw.

The peregrines are indeed a joy to behold. It seems this gent is to falcon artistry what Phil Taylor is to darts. Only thought that up because 'The Power' was on tv in the pub last night!

Looking forward to the swifts with rich anticipation!

Russ

Most beautiful and alive book plates I've ever seen, you somehow have captured a bit of that magic that happens in the presence of these birds, the indescribable something I would never thought could end up on paper....

Only one question....how the heck can I get the book!?

Oh....my....g--!

Just seen those peregrines of yours Andrew...and here is my response...:eek!::t:

ps...J.A.Baker would be very pleased....[i know i am after casting my eye's over these marvelous paintings]...

Thankyou Chaps for the high praise on the Peregrine plates. username the Baker book is one of my all time favorite books and the descriptions of Estuary and valley in there are magical

here's my 15 min acrylic study from this morning of a curlew . I will try and do the swifts as promissed

Attachments

• 15-min-Curlew-full-web.jpg
    15-min-Curlew-full-web.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 15-min-curlew001-crop-web.jpg
    15-min-curlew001-crop-web.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 80
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back