• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you buy a good roof prism for $200.00 or are you jerking our diopter Frank? (4 Viewers)

Especially when the argument is illogical and has no grounds and reasoning behind it. If I don't like a binocular that is my opinion. When somebody owns that binocular they start defending it like it is their kid. Heh, we can have different opinions. That's what this forum is for. I am entitled to change my opinion over time also as binoculars change and my views and experiences change.

Of course you can change your mind, but don't you think it's just the tiniest tad of a stretch to go from They deliver a beautiful view for very little money. Either one is better than any of the alpha roofs being more comfortable to use and just as sharp and a little brighter. Amazing little binoculars. to calling them junk? That to me is not the sign of a guy who knows what he's talking about. And you'd make a better case for me not being able to understand your superior optical intelligence if everyone else here was agreeing with you on these issues.

Gimme a break! BlackCrow. I think the problem is your not intelligent enough to understand what I am saying and you don't have enough experience with optics to even be arguing with me.

Perhaps the underlying problem here is that certain people don't seem to be intelligent enough to realize what they have previously posted.

While everyone is certainly entitled to modify their opinions and impressions over time, what does your post of 4/28/2011 say about your experience and ability to analyze optics, if you now think they are a CPOS? How many of these Jeckyll & Hyde opinions and reviews do you need to subject us to before we all come to the conclusion that something is amiss in the Land of Stern?

Especially when the argument is illogical and has no grounds and reasoning behind it. If I don't like a binocular that is my opinion.

I am glad that the idea of illogic and lack of reasoning is in your vocabulary and concept of reality, as they certainly come to my mind in reading your musings.

I don't post everything I do my friend on Bird Forum so your baloney you just spewed up above is just based on assumptions.

I guess you are right, but you do seem to post some things that don't seem to have happened, and others that seem to stray from the reality of the situation. I guess this is the "alternate reality" I see discussed on the SciFy channel so often.

Gotta go - need to track down some of those sub $100 bargain basement finds as I wouldn't want to spoil my image.;)

Tom

"You can fool some of the people some of the time, but I do love a good bedtime story"

Chill, people. They're only binoculars. "Tubes with glass in for seeing faraway stuff", as a wise man once said. (Oh, no, it wasn't a wise man, it was me....;))

Sometimes it's best to get it all out in the open. Chilling afterward.B :)
SIGHTRON UPDATE

It was a nice sunny day here in Colorado so I had alot of time to compare my Nikon 8x32 EDG II to the Sightron 8x32 SII Blue Sky. After quite a bit of side by side testing I still say the Sightron is the best bargain binocular out there but it AIN"T no EDG II. The EDG II is awesome optically. Just amazing. I noticed for some reason it has better DOF than the Sightron creating a 3D image almost like a porro. It was a little deflating going back and forth between the two. The Nikon also has this buttersmooth focus with almost perfect speed and then you try the Sightron and it is to TIGHT. Everything about the Nikon makes it a JOY to use. It has wonderful ergonomics, great comfortable armouring and just perfect balance. Nikon spent alot of time making these the perfect birding binoculars. I just have to say the Sightron is a bargain at $200.00 and I highly recommend them BUT the Nikon 8x32 EDG II is worth every penny of the $1800.00 difference in price especially if you are seriously into birding or nature watching. Of all the binoculars I have tried or used it is the most perfect birding binocular I have tried. There is just nothing to complain about with it. The new Swarovision 8x32 or the new Zeiss 8x32 FL will have to go some to beat it.

Last edited:
It may be worth that $1800 difference to you but an ignorant optics yokel like me could never justify spending my dogs inheritance like that for the few things you mentioned. And I could never afford all my other super cool bins. I'm glad you have them though. I'm sure they are really wonderful bins.

it was a nice sunny day here in Colorado so I had alot of time to compare my Nikon 8x32 EDG II to the Sightron 8x32 SII Blue Sky. After quite a bit of side by side testing I still say the Sightron is the best bargain binocular out there but it AIN"T no EDG II. The EDG II is awesome optically. Just amazing. I noticed for some reason it has better DOF than the Sightron creating a 3D image almost like a porro. It was a little deflating going back and forth between the two. The Nikon also has this buttersmooth focus with almost perfect speed and then you try the Sightron and it is to TIGHT. Everything about the Nikon makes it a JOY to use. It has wonderful ergonomics, great comfortable armouring and just perfect balance. Nikon spent alot of time making these the perfect birding binoculars. I just have to say the Sightron is a bargain at $200.00 and I highly recommend them BUT the Nikon 8x32 EDG II is worth every penny of the $1800.00 difference in price especially if you are seriously into birding or nature watching. Of all the binoculars I have tried or used it is the most perfect birding binocular I have tried. There is just nothing to complain about with it. The new Swarovision 8x32 or the new Zeiss 8x32 FL will have to go some to beat it.

I thought that YOU started THIS thread to talk about $200 binoculars NOT ones of $2000 WHAT's the point?
At $2000 the EDG II has to be better and is, the Sightron just has to be good, anything else is a bonus.

I thought that YOU started THIS thread to talk about $200 binoculars NOT ones of $2000 WHAT's the point?
At $2000 the EDG II has to be better and is, the Sightron just has to be good, anything else is a bonus.

The point I want to make is that the Sightron is a very good binocular for the price but I don't want people to think they are getting an EDG II or an FL. My point is if you can afford the $2K definitely go for the EDG II it is worth the difference. If you can't afford it the Sightron is still a very usable and excellent birding binocular. For the people that have the money and you are serious about birding and look at your binoculars as a lifelong investment I would recommend getting the EDG II. It will reward you every time you use it.

Last edited:
I think you've hammered that one in Dennis.;)

I really wish Black Crow if you are not going to add something meaningful to my thread you wouldn't come back with these negative remarks. It just ruins the thread. You are just dead ending the thread. It's like you just want to personally attack me instead of talking about binoculars. It is like you are resentful because I have an EDG and perhaps you can't afford one or as you say would not spend that kind of money on a binocular. Well really nobody cares about that. We are here on this forum to talk about binoculars be it expensive ones or less expensive ones. I am trying to make a point. You say I am what was it "Emotional Unstable" well you are acting like a jealous child when the neighbor kid get's the latest toy and your parents can't afford to buy it for you. I have heard quite enough about the EDG. I don't care how good they are I never be able to buy one so I don't want to hear no more about it. HaHa. Quit hammering it in it is making me sick! HaHa.

Pretty touchy Dennis but I'm not buying your righteous indignation. If you can't take a little joking around that's just going to have to be too bad. I have no hard feelings towards you in any way and while I often take exception to some of your statements here that in no way reflects any personal negativity towards you. It's not my style. However joking around a little is my style. Carry on.

Last edited:
I wonder why he jumped on you for such an innocuous remark,

I think he made that pretty obvious by what he mentioned in that diatribe. Payback for a perceived slight on his character.
However like I said I have nothing against anyone here whether I agree with them or not. And sometimes I agree with what Dennis says. But that comment I made was in jest and in fun. I wasn't coming down on Dennis even if he perceived it that way. But that's not what his reply was really about anyway.

I'd like to get a look at those bins he keeps talking about. I'm going to have to make a trip sometime to find some and look through them and see if I can see what all the fuss is about. I'll tell you they better give me an orgasm or I'll be pretty disappointed.

I think he made that pretty obvious by what he mentioned in that diatribe. Payback for a perceived slight on his character.
However like I said I have nothing against anyone here whether I agree with them or not. And sometimes I agree with what Dennis says. But that comment I made was in jest and in fun. I wasn't coming down on Dennis even if he perceived it that way. But that's not what his reply was really about anyway.

I'd like to get a look at those bins he keeps talking about. I'm going to have to make a trip sometime to find some and look through them and see if I can see what all the fuss is about. I'll tell you they better give me an orgasm or I'll be pretty disappointed.

Here's your chance Black Crow!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-EDG-8...648?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c232e8178

They are EDG I's but the optics are the same.

Why would I buy one before I've looked at one and handled it? It's not like risking a couple hundred at most and even when I've done that it's been based on an overwhelming amount of support and agreement by many many others here that it is a true best buy. Dennis, the real problem I have in conversing with you here at the is forum is that you never seem to pay attention to what I'm telling you on my end of the conversation. If you aren't listening then we aren't communicating.

Last edited:
Black Crow,

Take the seller up on his invitation to ask some questions. This is a remarkable price!

I don't know if these will give you your orgasm but if my experience with my 10 x 32 EDG which I have owned for a year and a half means anything, the only 8 x 32 you will get as good as these at the price offered will be a Nikon 8 x 32 SE. My 10 x 32 EDG gives my 10 x 42 SE a run for the money!

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back