• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old Sketchbooks (1 Viewer)

spizaetos

Searching through older Sketchbooks, I found interesting drawingss there,-
such like a memory sketch just after a meeting with a Bear two years ago... :eek!: -and I wanted to share these experiences with you..

Attachments

• Bär.jpg
    Bär.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 191
  • Drosselrohrsänger.jpg
    Drosselrohrsänger.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 191
  • krauskopfpelikan.jpg
    krauskopfpelikan.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 163
  • Rotkopfwürger.jpg
    Rotkopfwürger.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 194
  • Gänsegeier.jpg
    Gänsegeier.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 186
buzzard12 said:
Great work, particularily like the pelican, really well executed sketch. Do post some more...
Thank you buzzard12!
I've just noticed your outstanding new "Irland" sketches!
You have got the rare ability to sketch birds from various angles, and that
although they are still in motion!
That's a really hard work!
As required, attached few more sketches from older Sketchbooks..

Attachments

• Blauracke.jpg
    Blauracke.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 145
  • halsbandschnäpper.jpg
    halsbandschnäpper.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 183
  • krauskopfpelikane.jpg
    krauskopfpelikane.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 170
  • Steinkauz.jpg
    Steinkauz.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 163
  • Weißkopfmöwe.jpg1.jpg
    Weißkopfmöwe.jpg1.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
You have an extraordinary touch - I was immediately taken by the (lesser black-backed?) gull drawing - remarkably observed. The rest of your sketches show that you have a superb talent and I,like Buzzard, look forward eagerly to more posts from you. Excellent.

Just brilliant! I often think peoples' best work is in their sketchbooks; think it has something to do with the fact that it's just for yourself and no one else, hence no pressure. Having said that, your sketches are worthy of framing!!

PaulS said:
Great stuff, very impressive.

Paul
Thank you all!
I schould also say that I'm much more pleased from my field work than from
Studio paintings.There are so many memories becoming alive, during the
search from the sketchbook pages...

Attachments

• Turmfalke.jpg1.jpg
    Turmfalke.jpg1.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 172
  • Kormoran.Jk.jpg
    Kormoran.Jk.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 166
  • Kormoran.jpg
    Kormoran.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 143
  • Kormoran.jpg1.jpg
    Kormoran.jpg1.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 169
  • zwergscharbe.jpg
    zwergscharbe.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 163
I've got to ask; how on earth do you manage to sketch so quickly? Any bird i see is usually off in seconds; can't i.d. it, let alone draw it!

Yes, how do you make field sketches so detailed? Do you work quickly, or do you do some more at home on the sketch? I sketch from life, but they're never so detailed - maybe I'm just impatient and move on to the next thing too quickly...

Vectis Birder said:
Yes, how do you make field sketches so detailed? Do you work quickly, or do you do some more at home on the sketch? I sketch from life, but they're never so detailed - maybe I'm just impatient and move on to the next thing too quickly...
There isn't any magical secret about quick sketching but only experience,
hard earned through practicing in the field. I'm sketching from life 32 years now,and of course I wasn't quick enough at the beginning.
There were and still are many frustrating moments, when the birds flying away,
and half-completed sketches remained..
I'll try to select such sketches to be presented in BF in the future.
The experience taught me also to have a feeling in choosing a subject.
As you already noticed, the majority of my sketches includes resting or relaxing
birds or animals.
That allows me to make detailed studies on location, although there is never a
success warranty..
The preliminary sketch schould always be complet within seconds.
I hope, I explained my method well enough...

Attachments

• Elster.jpg
    Elster.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 156
  • Graugans.jpg
    Graugans.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 156
  • Graugans.jpg1.jpg
    Graugans.jpg1.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 149
  • Amsel.jpg7.jpg
    Amsel.jpg7.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 175
  • Lachmöwe.jpg
    Lachmöwe.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
The cormorant study is absolutely sublime - so 'right'. I can feel the sway of the branch as the weight of the bird shifts its point of balance - exceptional work, truly beautiful.

timwootton said:
The cormorant study is absolutely sublime - so 'right'. I can feel the sway of the branch as the weight of the bird shifts its point of balance - exceptional work, truly beautiful.

My favorites thus far are both gulls. A study in light and shadow. I'm especially enthralled with the second gull (Black-headed?). The reflection in the water is amazing. It's as though I'm viewing it through my scope! Makes me want to pick up the paint brush again and try my best. I'm more of a pen-and-ink person, but adding color is another thing all together. Here is one of my inks... (not to take away from spizaetos thread).

Attachments

• murrelet.jpg
    murrelet.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Nice drawing JC - I'm sure Spizaetos won't mind a high quality contribution like this, and you're right, his work is exceptional.
Your drawing - murrelet of some kind? - you ought to have been around approx 3 months ago - a long-billed murrelet turned up down in Devon - expert knowledge would have been really helpful!

timwootton said:
Nice drawing JC - I'm sure Spizaetos won't mind a high quality contribution like this, and you're right, his work is exceptional.
Your drawing - murrelet of some kind? - you ought to have been around approx 3 months ago - a long-billed murrelet turned up down in Devon - expert knowledge would have been really helpful!
Thank you Tim!
Of course I haven't anything against conrtibutions, the BF is our Forum!
At this point I owe you a definition, about the Gulls. The first one is a Yellow-legged, sketched in Greece, and the Black-headed in Munich, in a very cold-under zero-day and is sitting on a frozen water surface!

Attachments

• Amsel.j1.jpg
    Amsel.j1.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 167
  • Lachmoewe.jpg
    Lachmoewe.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 168
  • Schwarzstorch.1.jpg
    Schwarzstorch.1.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 156
  • Stockente.jpg1.jpg
    Stockente.jpg1.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 161
  • Stockente.jpg
    Stockente.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 135
spizaetos said:
hard earned through practicing in the field. I'm sketching from life 32 years now,and of course I wasn't quick enough at the beginning.
There were and still are many frustrating moments, when the birds flying away,
and half-completed sketches remained..
I'll try to select such sketches to be presented in BF in the future.
The experience taught me also to have a feeling in choosing a subject.
As you already noticed, the majority of my sketches includes resting or relaxing
birds or animals.
That allows me to make detailed studies on location, although there is never a
success warranty..
The preliminary sketch schould always be complet within seconds.
I hope, I explained my method well enough...

Thank you, you've explained it very well.
Cheers
VB

This latest group of drawings is just superb. I really look forward to seeing the next installment.
By the way where can we see your exhibited paintings, or published work (if that's not a rude question?).
Cheers - Tim

Carry on sketching!

spizaetos said:

Hear, hear Spizaetos! I think every aspiring artist (and even a few who think they are not artists) needs to hear this.

Many people who have watched me sketch have said something to the effect of "Oh, I wish I could draw," and they don't believe me when I tell them that my first efforts were profoundly unartistic!

I'm not saying that everyone can draw like Lars Jonsson if they only practice hard enough, but rather that even Lars Jonsson had to start somewhere.

My advice to anyone who wishes they could draw would be, "Then draw!" And the 'secret' is to keep doing it as often and as much as possible.

I remember hearing a story of Picasso who, late in life, was asked to do a quick drawing on a TV chat show. When he had finished, the interviewer asked him if he didn't feel a little embarrassed that he could sell for thousands of dollars something that had taken him 30 seconds to do. Picasso's response: "30 seconds? It took me 80 years to draw that!"

Spizaetos' fantastic paintings will, I hope, inspire many more aspiring artists to pick up a pencil and sketchpad and get/keep on sketching!

Cheers

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back